I was happier with my laptop's GTX 1050Ti 4GB than I'll ever be with my desktop GTX 1060 3GB

If I were you, I'd continue pressing on the clocks and trying more variations. The good news: with modern Windows operating systems, an unstable overclock usually just results in a crash to desktop with the card clocks being reset to stock. My experience with both the 1070MQ and the 3080Ti (and my 1080Ti before it) was all the same -- futz around witih the clock, play a game to see if it's stable, and if not the game will CTD and you just crank down the speed a tiny bit and try again.

Your clocks will not be the same as mine, simply because every GPU is different and you're on different silicon, different PCB, different cooling, different power delivery hardware than my stuff. For all either of us know, your card might be stable at 1650MHz at 0.750v and 1850MHz at 0.800v :D Or maybe not, but you'll never find out unless you test.

Also, don't forget to play with memory clocks too. Just be observant: modern GDDR will actually self error-correct single bit errors, and when they do, performance drops significantly. If you continue pushing the memory speed and performance stays flat or gets worse, then slow it down :) For your laptop GPU, it's worth noting that ram overclock does play a part in your power delivery for the whole GPU. As such, you actually might find (for certain games) it makes more sense to underclock the memory to provide a bit of extra punch for the GPU.

If I were you, I'd continue pressing on the clocks and trying more variations. The good news: with modern Windows operating systems, an unstable overclock usually just results in a crash to desktop with the card clocks being reset to stock. My experience with both the 1070MQ and the 3080Ti (and my 1080Ti before it) was all the same -- futz around witih the clock, play a game to see if it's stable, and if not the game will CTD and you just crank down the speed a tiny bit and try again.

Your clocks will not be the same as mine, simply because every GPU is different and you're on different silicon, different PCB, different cooling, different power delivery hardware than my stuff. For all either of us know, your card might be stable at 1650MHz at 0.750v and 1850MHz at 0.800v :D Or maybe not, but you'll never find out unless you test.

Also, don't forget to play with memory clocks too. Just be observant: modern GDDR will actually self error-correct single bit errors, and when they do, performance drops significantly. If you continue pushing the memory speed and performance stays flat or gets worse, then slow it down :) For your laptop GPU, it's worth noting that ram overclock does play a part in your power delivery for the whole GPU. As such, you actually might find (for certain games) it makes more sense to underclock the memory to provide a bit of extra punch for the GPU.
as of currently, your clocks work fine on my GPU but yes, I've been fiddling and managed to get a +225MHz memory clock boost with very few tweaks here and there. It's working fine and the games run similarly to stock settings so I can't complain, taking into account the power consumption is contained.

Back