Cost of gaming on a PC vs Buying a Next Generation console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there an anti console thread in the consoles forum ? Shouldnt this be moved somewhere else ? Its almost like i have to feel guilty and ashamed to choose gaming on a console instead of a pc.

Consoles aren't meant to be flexible, thats why we have PC's.

I never said they were supposed to be flexible, I simply pointed out that that's the tradeoff you get for being easy to use. If PC's weren't flexible, they would also be as easy to use as consoles. In fact, that's exactly what the original xbox was.

Consoles have all the games from the PC world plus the games from the Console world. That is why i think they are beating PC's.

Well first of all, no they don't. PC's have many exclusives that aren't on consoles but more than that, no one console has "all the games from the console world". In fact if you buy the very best console available today (PS4) you have available to you only a very tiny fraction of the games available to the console or PC world. If your argument is to compare one PC against all consoles (past and present) then I'd simpy argue why can't I compare a PC plus all games consoles ever made against the PS4 plus all games consoles ever made?

It's a pretty stuipd argument IMO and thanks to backwards compatibility and emulators it's pretty much a given that you're going to have a larger selection of games available to you on a modern PC than on any single modern console.

If a friend of mine buys a Console he simply has more great games to play than if he bought a PC,

As noted above this is total rubbish. If your friend bought one of the current generation consoles (PS4, XBO or WiiU), please explain how he would have "more great games" to play than someone with a gaming PC which has a library of literally tens of thousands of games stretching back 20 years plus, including most of the AAA releases from the last decade and access to emaulated console games from pretty much everything from PS1/N64 back.

And all the cheap used games he can buy.. win win win

Yep there are tons of cheap used games available for the newest generation of consoles aren't there. This argument has been gone over before. Like for like, PC games are much cheaper. I haven't spent over £25 on a PC game for years and I've never once bought second hand. Can you say the same about a console game?

Would you buy someone a second hand console game as a present? Becuase I know my friends and family wouldn't and they are the source of a lot of my games.

And he doesn't have to make room for a keyboard+mouse and monitor anywhere, just room for a small case of awesome entertainment and hook it up to his TV.

Good for him, if that's your preference then clearly a consoles the better option, no-ones denying this. That doesn't make them a universally better option though. There are clearly advantages and disadvantages to each system that will matter more to different people depending on their circumstances. Stop trying to ram your personal preference as the universally better option down my throat. You like simplicity, I like flexibility. You like cheap used games, I like cheap new games, you like playing with a control pad on a TV as opposed to a monitor and keyboard/Mouse, I prefer the option of both at the expense of some additional used space. You like console exclusives, I prefer a better experience in the much larger market of 3rd party games.

How about we just drop the childish "my dicks than yours" topic?

Why is there an anti console thread in the consoles forum ? Shouldnt this be moved somewhere else ? Its almost like i have to feel guilty and ashamed to choose gaming on a console instead of a pc.
This illustrates the problem admirably. There is no 'anti console' discussion here. It's a comparison of factual data on prices. No-one should feel attacked because the subject is how much CE devices cost, and not what sort of a human being one is. Yet so many personal feelings come into the discussion that it's rendered useless (okay, ignoring the fact that the original question was too broad to be answered with a single value and so was inherently useless).

As long as human beings become emotionally invested in the most mundane and irrelevant of things, sensible, intelligent discussion will be extremely difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back