Controversial game reviews in console history

Even too much i'm afraid.

Maybe, maybe not. They are called 'Edge' and they clearly indicate their bias. So long as they are consistent and open in that policy, I can only applaud them, because that gives them one up on most reviewers who really don't know what they are doing, other than play a game and try as intelligently as possible to tell us why they like the game. There are some moves to objectification here, like some will try to score individual aspects (gameplay, presentation, graphics) and others will give the view of multiple reviewers, or both.

I have thought about this and doing something about it too, but haven't found the time yet. I have so many things I want to do, and here I am posting yet another waste of cyberspace ... :LOL:

Rather than giving good games low scores, the trend seems to give mediocre games a "good" score.

The bar has been lowered to the point that I won't even consider a game unless it gets 8/10 average reviews and even then you must be weary. 9/10 usually means it's decent. 7/10 is complete rubbish.
A game that comes to mind is Star Wars Republic Commando. Gamespot and most other sites gave it a high 8 out of 10. I played it for an hour and was so bored. 6/10 in my book.

It must be due to advertising. 5/10 is not the average. A game has to be horrible to get a score like that.
Most games should get 5, 6, 7 out of 10. A really good game should get 8. And a 9 should be saved for nearly perfect games.

So different that they gave Zone of the Enders 2 a 4/10, while "incredible" games such as Starsky and Hutch got 7/10 and Drakengard, for its part, got a 8/10.

Seriously, the only way to give any magazine, or online outlet, any form of credibility, at this point, would be to drop the numerical scores that punctuate most reviews out there and leave it up to the review itself and to the final notes to give an overview of the quality of a game.

What? they did such a thing? I had no idea!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

One of the best reviews I've read. Its like someone actually played Oblivion all the way through and saw that its a pile of crap. Oblivion owns..... for 3 hours, but that's all.
I agree I had more fun with daggerfall and morrowind but calling oblivion a pile of crap is slightly exaggerated imo.

Back