Constantine

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
The movie.
Got a fantastic review at IGN, they call it the best comic-movie conversion ever made, and it just sounds and look like a very very interesting movie...

Anyone seen it yet?

I've never read the comic book, but i'm very excited about this movie.

i'm looking so forward for this movie. saw the trailer back in the theatre
whoah keanu reeves

I was a pretty big fan of the comic, as far as I could call myself a comic book fan. Not very far, that is.

Nevertheless, I'm very leery of this one... Was enthusiastic when I saw it was getting made, but when I saw Keanu Reeves signed on... my god. :devilish:

If you don't know the comic you probably don't know John Constantine is supposed to be a scouser, mostly slumming in the british underworld/subcultures... Sticking Keanu Reeves in that role would be like casting Jon Lovitz as Superman. (However, as I understand it they rewrote the entire backstory in the movie to fit). Tim Roth would've been awesome.

cloudscapes said:
Ohplease ohplease ohPLEASE may Keanu be directed by somebody who forces him to show more emotion than a plank of wood!

Plank of wood... Tick.

But not a wet plank of wood. A wet plank of wood would convey emotions that are just too much for our Keanu.

london-boy said:
cloudscapes said:
Ohplease ohplease ohPLEASE may Keanu be directed by somebody who forces him to show more emotion than a plank of wood!

Plank of wood... Tick.

But not a wet plank of wood. A wet plank of wood would convey emotions that are just too much for our Keanu.

But don't forget a plank of wood can beat you up ;) :LOL:

london-boy said:
cloudscapes said:

Plank of wood... Tick.

Wet wood... you do the homoarizing threads without even trying doncha.

sytaylor said:
london-boy said:
cloudscapes said:

Plank of wood... Tick.

Wet wood... you do the homoarizing threads without even trying doncha.

.......... What does wet wood have to do with homowhatevering threads?

please explain, what's the tick effect on somebody when you use wet plank of wood insteaad of dry wood? 8)

i'm serieus

no really

:LOL:

Saw a trailer yesterday and i didn't like it much. Reeves seems to miss the arrogant asshole stance that is a defining characteristic of John Constantine.

Barnabas said:
Saw a trailer yesterday and i didn't like it much. Reeves seems to miss the arrogant asshole stance that is a defining characteristic of John Constantine.

There was a review of a preview screening on aintitcoolnews.com, and they guy basically said it's a good film as long as you haven't read the comic books, in which case it will drive you nuts.

You know I was not going to see it b/c keannu reeves was in it and he is perhaps the worst actor of all time (in proportion to the $$$ and big movies he has been in).

I was just discussing with my wife, how keannu reeves is like steven segal no emotions, but he has to do all his fighting in slow motion b/c he isn't coordinated. Anyway so I suppose this means that perhaps I should not let my bias against reeves diminish my desire to see the movie?

I saw it on Tuesday (don't ask how) and it wasn't that great IMO; Reeves can't f-cking act, period, and that ruins the movie. Only once in the film did he even try to assume a character - a scene where he yells at Rachel Weisz about halfway through.

It also suffers from the same fatal flaw that many comic book/manga adaptions to film suffer from - it has to compress a world which took years to develop to two hours. As such, much of the backstory that would be necessary to frame the narrative is simply missing, especially if you don't read Hellblazer.

But all of my friends loved it so maybe it's just me... :?

There was a review of a preview screening on aintitcoolnews.com, and they guy basically said it's a good film as long as you haven't read the comic books, in which case it will drive you nuts.
... and bloody moron that i am i'm going to watch it anyway. Thanks for the warning. :(

Back