Consoles that provide(d) the best performance increase from 1stgen to last gen titles

I believe the SNES and Genesis (Megadrive) had the highest level of improvement as they added the SuperFX chip and various other DSP's inside the cartridges to improve their 3D handling performance.

Check out this thread for some sweet overclocking of the SNES SuperFX chip:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=7680&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Super_Mario_World_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg

1990 the original and IMHO best 2D platformer ever

dbimage.php

1995 with Super FX2 chip at 21MHz

Last edited by a moderator:
That killed this conversation.

Seriously though if you think of it in computing terms perhaps even then the 1st gen to last gen PS2 games had the same performance or better performance increase than we saw with SNES and Megadrive with added hardware.

PS2 went from stuff like Dark Cloud to God of War 2. Huge increases over time.

The first really gorgeous PS2 game that I remember was The Bouncer, and that did come within 6 months of US launch, but it had tiny areas and looong load times. Later PS2 games were prettier and more streamlined too.

Mid- to later-gen games of note: God of War series, Ghosthunter, MGS3, Silent Hill 3, ZoE2, etc. etc. etc. There were a lot of nice-looking PS2 games in the end.

Wow Cobra, our lists could not be more different.
PSX: Too many games for me to decide, but I'd say Metal Gear Solid wasn't it.

Saturn: Panzer Dragoon Saga? Maybe VF2.

Nintendo 64: Conker's Bad Fur Day, bar none.

Sega Dreamcast: Dead or Alive 2, Shenmue 2, or Sonic Adventure 2.

PS2: I'll give that to God of War 2.

Xbox: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Gamecube: RE4 or Pikmin 2

Xbox 360: Gears of War

PS3: No clue.

Wii: Mario Galaxy.

Definitely Saturn from Virtua fighter to Virtua Fighter 2 an incredible improvemen, didn't have the pleasure to play Saga though :(.

Sega Dreamcast I have to give it to shenmue II and Sonic Adventure 2, for Dead or Alive 2 it had a better fighting game at launch day Soul calibur

Ps2: I don't see any major improvements here it always had nice enough graphics from MGS2 to MGS3 theres no huge improvements though they are like 5 years apart, Soul Reaver 2 was there at 2001 was good GTAs had some improvements but were all close enough, Never really played GOW though and i stoped buying games for ps2 long ago.

Xbox: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is indeed a great improvement from the first games, Halo 2 was also a nice jump but i think the greatest on xbox was Chronicles of Riddick maybe

Gamecube i can't really see anything since the best graphics i have seen on it were from an early title Starwars: Rouge Squadron

xbox 360: kind of early to tell PGR 4 looks like a nice jump from 3 but not big enough for being a great improvement. Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gow might be the obvious choices but go and the others are an year apart so its weird.

Ps3: still too early too tell too but definitely Uncharted and Unreal Tournament 3.

Wii : once again is too early but i don't see any improvements here since it had Metroid Prime 3: Corruption at launch right?

Sega Dreamcast I have to give it to shenmue II and Sonic Adventure 2, for Dead or Alive 2 it had a better fighting game at launch day Soul calibur

Did you read the thread? Soul Calibur wasn't a DC launch title. The American launch was much later than the original launch.

Metroid Prime 3 came out nearly a year after launch on wii, and I think galaxies looks a lot better. (it has shiny shine!)

Yes, but it's been brought up several times in this thread already. Also, Splinter Cell and MGS2 weren't first-gen titles.

Soul Calibur aside anyway SSX was a launch title so were The Bouncer, Oni, Dead or Alive 2 was released Mar 30, 2000, MGS2 Nov 12, 2001 approximately one year after console lunch in the US please correct me if I'm mistaken, when does a game become second gen anyway?

Didn't have a lot of time for research yesterday so I'm posting better videos of Sega Saturn versions of Virtua Fighter: May 1995 and Virtua Fighter 2 1996.(Release dates from Gamespot.com)

Virtua Fighter: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/119547.html

Virtua Fighter 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/119433.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back