Console pricing thread

Never heard of them, how long did it take you to find these to try to help your point? Where is CC, BB, GS, Target, etc.?

never heard of it ? Its about as big here in jersey as CC. The only diffrence is PC richards is not going out of busniess.

I listee CC , BB , GS and Walmart.

It's 15 days now, just like Costco used to be infinity, but that was changed to 90 days. Maybe they changed it to 90 days so Sony and MS could do price cuts, considering infinity is a long time?

Walmart site says 90 days. I will go tommorow and check with a clerk there.

Just because you want something to be true, it doesn't make it so. Like others have said you cannot make a claim with zero evidence and expect people to believe you.

And you can insult me as much as you want , but that doesn't make me wrong. IF you continue insulting me as you have in previous posts I will start reporting you.

Exactly. Using eastmen's argument that I quoted, unless someone can reveal a case where a console was cut in price in this timeframe, then any suggestion must also be as correct as his. It's logically unsound reasoning.

For example: They don't cut prices in January because they think it's too cold. Unless you can show me a console price cut that occurred in January, this must be true

I've actually provided a reason for htem doing something that makes sense and based on past retail experiance.

But its okay , I will wait for you to say something and then respond with something nonsensical like you just responded with.

Oh, well if it makes sense to you then that ends it! How could we have possibly expected something substantive to validate your argument when, clearly, the only thing important here is that it makes sense to you! Just like SSD media for games distribution makes sense to you despite overwhelming economic arguments to the contrary. Or the idea that many publishers were demoing their games on PS3 for Xplay during E3 was only because they were on the doll from Sony made sense to you despite clear statements from G4 employees in contradiction. Let us not waste any more time arguing facts when all you give a damn about is propagating your own pet theories irregardless of fact.

As of now, walmart all game consoles(including ps3, wii, psp, DS) are 15 days with receipt for full refund(used to be 90 days). Some Walmart store customer service center might not even got update on this information yet, and soon they will. I have verified this in 4 electronic department in walmart.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=700229

I assume Walmart is using this clause from the link you provided:

Computer hardware: Must be returned with any included software within 15 days of receipt.

And you can insult me as much as you want , but that doesn't make me wrong.

Correct, but your lack of evidence may. The burden of proof is on the person making an assertion, not the other way around. No insults were used, so no threats are needed.

This cycle of nonsense is tedious. Everyone has expressed their opinion and clearly aren't going to budge no matter how much the other party says 'I'm right'. Overall there is a consistent lack of evidence being presented to support arguments from some quarters at the moment, and I'll be less lenient with them repeating their position in future if they aren't going to actual debate their points.

Reminder - if you have a theory, you need to present supporting evidence when challenged. You are not right until proven wrong. Well, you might be, but you can't expect people to agree with you without you having presented a case to convince them ;)

It seems that in various places the PS3 is now being sold at 299 euro. For instance in Belgium and the Netherlands there are movie bundles including the movie 300 at 299, apparently in some stores even including a free game (any from Fallout 3, Motorstorm, GTAIV and Singstar Abba) and the remote. There are similar reports from other countries - anyone else come across such offers? Another I just came across is at play, for 409 euros you get
Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Console with 80GB HDD + MotorStorm: Pacific Rift + Fallout 3 + Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe: Collector's Edition ... even counting 30 euros for each game that's still about 300.

Yeah the weak £ pretty much lowered it to 300€ in the UK and that has carried over to other places also it seems. Not in Finland though...

It seems that in various places the PS3 is now being sold at 299 euro. For instance in Belgium and the Netherlands there are movie bundles including the movie 300 at 299, apparently in some stores even including a free game (any from Fallout 3, Motorstorm, GTAIV and Singstar Abba) and the remote. There are similar reports from other countries - anyone else come across such offers? Another I just came across is at play, for 409 euros you get
Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Console with 80GB HDD + MotorStorm: Pacific Rift + Fallout 3 + Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe: Collector's Edition ... even counting 30 euros for each game that's still about 300.

Did the stores advertise the price ? If not, the effect won't be great since people won't know about it. Sounds like one of those last minute offer (pre-Christmas and post-Christmas sales).

I just was in one of those stores (Bart Smit) and they do advertise the price. I'm not sure how aggressively they advertise it outside of the stores though, I'm watching a lot of advertising free content these days ;) (we just treated ourselves to another stack of TV-series boxes, including House 4, The Wire 4, etc.)

Of note, and pointed out by the Dutch Eurogamer (or a comment there, not sure) if the iSupply figures are correct and the $ is the base value to calculate with, a 399 euro PS3 nets Sony about $50, making up again for the U.S. loss. Using the 299 price however that would of course result in about a $50 loss on Sony's behalf.

I saw the news about the December 22nd EU price cut mentioned on another site too. Is it just me, or is this a little, erm, late? Just in time for the lucrative January sales spike? :rolleyes:

Of note, and pointed out by the Dutch Eurogamer (or a comment there, not sure) if the iSupply figures are correct and the $ is the base value to calculate with, a 399 euro PS3 nets Sony about $50, making up again for the U.S. loss. Using the 299 price however that would of course result in about a $50 loss on Sony's behalf.

Are you factoring in VAT into this assessment? A US MSRP doesn't include the equivalent sales tax, whereas a European price presumably includes the VAT.

I don't know if the iSupply figures used VAT, but you're right, the European prices I quoted are of course including VAT.

I'm also wondering, if the EU price-cut was sort of official on the 22nd of December (there have been some rumors), then I'm thinking Sony perhaps has used the Christmas period to make sure that all the boxes made using a more expensive manufacturing process have been sold at the 399 price to make sure they didn't lose to much on that, and now the next cost reduction is ready to kick in or just started to kick in.

I'm thinking Sony perhaps has used the Christmas period to make sure that all the boxes made using a more expensive manufacturing process have been sold at the 399 price to make sure they didn't lose to much on that, and now the next cost reduction is ready to kick in or just started to kick in.

I dont think so, just that they didn't want to loose a lot of money during the holidays.

I picked up a PS3 a week ago. Although not quite how you'd expect.
My parents called me up to tell me they'd bought a new TV - and it had a mail in offer for a $99 NZD ($56USD) PS3.

The unit is a 40gb, as expected, however it'd had the box opened (rather crudely) and the sixaxis had been removed. Included in the shipping box was a Dualshock, the shipping box had literally been torn open to put it in there. So I guess this is some very old stock. (The offer itself was very specific about 'while stocks last').
It's an interesting way to clear your backlog, although I'm not complaining. :p

However. This is where is gets ridiculous. It's boxing day today, possibly the biggest sale day of the year.

One deal for the 360 arcade:

Arcade + XBLA games + sonic tennis + gears of war + viva pinata = $265.
That is one third the current PS3 80gb price ($800nzd).

$150USD.

Bonkers.

Isn't that exactly what I'm saying?
Yes im sorry. Dunno what i thought about.

Edit: I actually thinking more in the lines of that the fact that they got old stock is irrelevant, the price cut didn't come because holiday season sells alot of consoles anyway and a cut vs the X360 wouldn't have yielded that much (considering how cheap an x360 is). What kind of stock was in (if it was consoles that costed more than the new ones) was totally irrelevant. Most companies that make products that have heavy price reductions etc planned usually cut price as soon as possible.

If you got a new fabrication that allows you to make a product cheaper, then from that point on all your stock, regardless if the product was made on old or new fabrication should be discounted at the new cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back