Computer keep restart *Picture attached

aaron1988

Newcomer
My computer keep restarting over and over again. I disable the Automatic restart, and the bluescreen shows up. Can anyone help me?

08112008008.jpg

The error your computer is experiencing is usually a symptom of bad memory or a failing hard drive.

I suggest you run tests on both components.

Search for "Hiren's boot CD", download, burn to disk, and run the following tests:

memtest
MHDD

these will test your memory and hard drive, respectively.

Checkdisk has a chance of damaging the drive. If he runs the test first he can at least stop it as soon as an error occurs, to avoid damaging the drive (further).

btw, /r implies /f ;)

Checkdisk can write to the drive, which will compound the errors. It will also continue on with the reading into damaged sectors which can cause the damaged area to spread especially if it's a pitted surface or damaged head. The other utility provides the ability to stop as soon as errors are encountered.

I see, thanks! Checkdisk will write to the drive because its purpose is to fix NTFS structure. chavvdarrr's advice was on broken NTFS on-disk structures, not on the physically damaged disk. I don't think that aaron1988's error is necessarily caused by damaged disk but at the same time I agree that your approach (verify physical damages, then move to logical ones) is definitely safer.

well, in my practice chances for logical ntfs mess vs physical disk damage are 99:1 :)
besides, ram problems seem more likely imho :D

2 Shaidar
IF there is physical damage, should he just throw the disk away without even attempting to get his data? After all reading data may damage the disk - attempting to read data from damaged sector...

Last edited by a moderator:
well, in my practice chances for logical ntfs mess vs physical disk damage are 99:1 :)
besides, ram problems seem more likely imho :D

What is your "practice"?

I can't even count how many thousands of hard drives I've replaced this decade.

That being said the BSOD the OP is experiencing is just as likely to be faulty memory/memory controller. What he really needs to do is download Hiren's Boot CD and run memtest and MHDD to find out where the failure lies.

2 Shaidar
IF there is physical damage, should he just throw the disk away without even attempting to get his data? After all reading data may damage the disk - attempting to read data from damaged sector...

I don't believe you're serious here...

There's no way to answer this question with any certainty as I haven't personally diagnosed the OP's drive, all I have to rely upon is the info he's provided. From what he's described so far the chances of backup/recovery are still good, but I won't promise anything.

Slave the drive in another system and robo copy that sumbitch. Run Getdataback for NTFS if necessary. Note that's Getdataback, not Getbackdata (impostor).

What is your "practice"?
sysadmin & support for 100-200 desktops and some servers in last few years, my first pc-contact was 20+y ago with Apple ][
I don't believe you're serious here...
of course i was kidding :D, I just meant that IF memory seems ok, maybe assuming the problem is ntfs-related, chkdsk will be fastest solution. After all he can always stop check reseting the pc if starts hearing "click, click, click, grrrr, click, click, click" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back