Looking for a prebuilt for a friend.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My buddy knows very little about PCs, which still strikes me as weird because we both were learning about them together not long ago. Then I remembered that "not long ago" is more like "over 20 years ago" and it makes more sense.

He linked me to this over at Microcenter:

1699128027963.png
And I linked back this one:
1699128096637.png

Anyone got any advice on prebuilts? I haven't looked at them in ages.

Some pre-built got bad PSU and/or cooling solution iirc. So they may unable to run at max perf for a long time.

So better to select the parts yourself and tell the computer shop to assemble them

Some pre-built got bad PSU and/or cooling solution iirc. So they may unable to run at max perf for a long time.

So better to select the parts yourself and tell the computer shop to assemble them
They want $200us at MicroCenter for assembly and OS install. If I go parts I'm building it.

Found another pre-built that is tempting. Not sure about the Ryzen 5500, but I likes the 10gb 6700 a lot!

1699136590733.png

But you'll notice the tempered glass in front of the 3 front fans... <sigh>

He got the Walmart one this morning for $670us after taxes. Not quite sure how that worked out, but he's happy so it's all good. Thanks!

He got the Walmart one this morning for $670us after taxes. Not quite sure how that worked out, but he's happy so it's all good. Thanks!

A little late. The Walmart one is probably the better brand with a larger SSD and better GPU, but the 5600x3D on the other one is a significantly better gaming CPU.

Regardless, all that matters is that he's happy with it, and components can always be upgrade in the future. :)

Regards,
SB

A little late. The Walmart one is probably the better brand with a larger SSD and better GPU, but the 5600x3D on the other one is a significantly better gaming CPU.

Regardless, all that matters is that he's happy with it, and components can always be upgrade in the future. :)

Regards,
SB
I totally agree! I had a great system in the cart at MC built around the 5600x3D deal that had a 1TB ssd, 2TB hdd, and 6650xt for $720 that I was begging him to let me build it for him but he's a good hour and a half drive from me and didn't have the patience.

At least he got a 6700xt. If the CPU holds him back too much it ain't much to upgrade it.

Davros - We're already friends! And Bubbles is my friend too, even if she's a PC. ;P

Back