Colour themes

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I want to change the colours in my IDEs.
I'm looking for themes(not as files, but I would like samples to see colours) which I can use.

It's kind of like painting a house and you have to be careful otherwise it will look like poo.
Are there any tips on choosing IDE colours?

Thanks.

Here are my IDE colours:
Please comment(Not on my code, I'm still working on my scenegraph).

ide.PNG

That looks awful, Killer! Definitely not easy on my eyes (it's like DOS edit gone mad!).

Personally I use Visual Studio 2005 which uses less contrasting colours which I find easier on my eyes:

vs_intellisense_notusing.png

1st guy:
Eclipse.

Diplo:
So you recommend just the boring white colours?
I don't really understand much about colours being easy to look at.
I find colours to look the same no matter what.

Is there medical benefits for your eyes to use easy going colours?

Yes.
Text must be dark on a light background, preferably NOT white though, a very light grey is better.
Avoid bright colors if possible.
Font size is screen-eye distance dependant and screen size dependant, choose something you can read easily, and a font which all characters are very easy to identify.

Is this good?
Thanks.

Ingenu said:
Yes.
Text must be dark on a light background, preferably NOT white though, a very light grey is better.
Avoid bright colors if possible.
Font size is screen-eye distance dependant and screen size dependant, choose something you can read easily, and a font which all characters are very easy to identify.

Attachments

• gt.JPG
    gt.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 18
I thought low contrast between text was supposed to be good but Humus has pretty much the same setting as I do, I think?

I'm confused.

Ahh the matrix look. I dig it. I just like the default MS Vis Studio look personally...very easy on the eyes.

Is this light enough?
Thanks for the help, I can't tell what's good for my eyes so I instead opted for something that looks good(tropical colours).

Can someone tell me the science behind the contrast ratios of background/foregrounds stuff?

Attachments

• lightNuff.PNG
    lightNuff.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 7
Fine.
I just tell you what I was tought in my ergonomics class in school, they were based on medical and comfort tests.

About the code however, the "this." should be removed as it is implied...

In my coding standards I always use "this." implied or not whether in C++("this->") or Java or C#. :)
I find it neater.

Ingenu said:
Fine.
I just tell you what I was tought in my ergonomics class in school, they were based on medical and comfort tests.

About the code however, the "this." should be removed as it is implied...

K.I.L.E.R said:
In my coding standards I always use "this." implied or not whether in C++("this->") or Java or C#. :)
I find it neater.
I agree with you on this, it looks neater and makes it visually easier to read (plus some syntax highlighters work best when you do it this way).

I also think your new IDE colours look better, though ultimately it should be what you find the best. Remember, it might be boring, but if it's easier to read than that is the main thing!

Back