codec question

Why do you believe it's not a codec issue?

You're trying to play a MPEG2 file, so if it plays in WMP at all that (most likely) indicates you have some sort of DVD playback software installed. The codecs installed by these programs tend to be notoriously bad at cooperating with the rest of Windows. Try playing the file in PowerDVD, WinDVD or whatever. Media Player Classic bypasses this whole issue as it has it's own MPEG decoder (as well as AC3 and DTS) built into the program itself.

I loaded PowerDVD and played the video. The video is totally screwed up however audio is OK.

How can I restore the original codecs which were supposedly screwed up by PowerDVD or other dvd players?

Also, I've loaded a program called Gspot v2.21, it shows the following info:

Codec 4CC: n/a.

After I played the video using Windows Media Player Classic, I did reboot Windows XP (because wmp and divx had crashed before).

Now Azereus won't load!!!!!!!!!!!11

Windows can't play MPEG2 out of the box so there is nothing to revert back to. You probably have somthing else screwing up, or that the file is simply not compatible with whatever DirectShow decoder your DVD player have installed. Does other MPEG2 files play ok in WMP? The server is dog slow for me, so I can't check the file out at the moment. GSpot won't give you any worthwile information for MPEG1/2 files, so that's no help.

No Idea about your Azureus problem except to say that it's the most sensitive - by far - program I have ever tried when it comes to systems that have been overclocked a bit too much. I have seen systems that could run Prime95 for ever that would crash Azureus on a regular basis. Try running Memtest86 over night to eliminate memory instability.

Zaphod said:
Try running Memtest86 over night to eliminate memory instability.

My memories are OK. Don't you ever lay any suspicions on them!!! ;) :) :D I may sue you for perjury... ROFL!!!

Now serious:

The "different" thing about Azereus is the required JRE pack. I had JRE 1.4.

Digitalwanderer mentioned before that the latest version of Azereus works fine with JRE 1.5. Therefore I installed jre 1.5 prior to installing the latest version of Azereus. Everything was working fine until I reinitialized the computer.

If you haven't got this sorted in WMP yet, you could try the following directshow filters from Doom9.net:

Under the Filters section in Doom9's download section install AC3Filter and Elecard MPEG Video Decoder -- they should allow WMP to playback MPEG2/AC3 files.

As Zaphod mentioned, WMP Classic should playback the file correctly as it includes a number of codecs and filters within its own library.

Cheers,

BrynS

Back