COD Black Ops II

It's not just you. The maps are horrible. The only ones I feel are near the quality of previous games are Raid, Slums, and Standoff.

Yeah. And fearsome, spot on about the different modes.

I had the biggest laugh when I played, I think demolition the other day, and we were on the map yacht (the boat, or whatever it's called). In the first round - I kept dying right when I spawned and I just had no idea why.

Then, second round, when the map switched sides, I somehow made it to the other side of the map, to the base where everyone spawned and once there, and I just killed them all as they popped up in front of me. Seriously, WTF? This just shouldn't happen, such a design flaw.

And the sad thing is - I've experienced this in some other maps too, not just in the Yacht one.

I've played almost exclusively Dom since WaW (which was my first COD), so I think I understand what makes these maps different:

1. It is impossible to win by holding A and C. You take B, or you lose, meaning B is total chaos while the rest of the map has little going on.

2. Several of the maps allow you to snipe B directly from a vantage point close to whichever side your team is spawning on and/or toss grenades onto B immediately upon spawning. Drone, Meltdown, Slums, Standoff, and Raid all have this problem.

3. Another common problem is placing B in such a way that you have very low visibility toward the defenders when approaching and/or capping it (i.e. you can't easily find and flush out any defenders first), leaving you extremely vulnerable to attacks from all sides. Meltdown, Overflow, Aftermath and Plaza are particularly bad in this respect.

4. The maps have rather well-defined routes and choke points. It's much worse than BlOps1 in this regard (already a low point in the series for unnatural, inorganic-feeling maps design, maybe even as bad as Killzone 3. What this means is that defense is pretty easy, as there are only a couple spots you really need to watch. A good team will keep these spots completely locked down and easily control the B flag for the entire match.

It's extremely frustrating because this game does nearly everything that isn't map design better than every COD before it. It's just that maps are, you know, a big deal.

Maps make or mar a MP experience as far as my experiemce goes .Funny that a lot of people were so gung ho about how BLOPS2 maps are so mich better than MW3. Looks like they were just happy to have a new COD.

I've played almost exclusively Dom since WaW (which was my first COD), so I think I understand what makes these maps different:

Maps are not really designer for domination as a main priority but for the most popular game modes.

1. It is impossible to win by holding A and C. You take B, or you lose, meaning B is total chaos while the rest of the map has little going on.

It is possible, but requires team work and is generally speaking harder to hold after cap, because you get attacked from multiple directions while with a+b or b+c you generally speaking "loose" one direction that needs to be defended. It's also quicker to travel between posts when you hold b.

What c has however is that it's usually under-defended and therefore a easy capture. If I really wanna win a match of domination its usually enough tgo to a/c (which ever is not yours) and take it. Then sit on it while the 7 other idiots hopefully get another flag....

2. Several of the maps allow you to snipe B directly from a vantage point close to whichever side your team is spawning on and/or toss grenades onto B immediately upon spawning. Drone, Meltdown, Slums, Standoff, and Raid all have this problem.

So what? You can nade enemy spawn/ initial capture points with high kill success in pretty much all shooters I have ever played online, all it takes is knowing how much time the main Zerg takes to get to an objective.. Also since spawns are switched its equally annoying for everybody.

3. Another common problem is placing B in such a way that you have very low visibility toward the defenders when approaching and/or capping it (i.e. you can't easily find and flush out any defenders first), leaving you extremely vulnerable to attacks from all sides. Meltdown, Overflow, Aftermath and Plaza are particularly bad in this respect.

I actually enjoy it. Previously many more of the flags had a lot of cover, now it seems the flags are in more open areas meaning you need better teamwork to cap it.

4. The maps have rather well-defined routes and choke points. It's much worse than BlOps1 in this regard (already a low point in the series for unnatural, inorganic-feeling maps design, maybe even as bad as Killzone 3. What this means is that defense is pretty easy, as there are only a couple spots you really need to watch. A good team will keep these spots completely locked down and easily control the B flag for the entire match.

isn't there well defined routes and choke points in all cod games? Hell, even in bf3 there are chojr points that i usually abuse. I do agree that there are to many awesome maps in mw1,2,3 that are not properly replaced though.
It's extremely frustrating because this game does nearly everything that isn't map design better than every COD before it. It's just that maps are, you know, a big deal.

I actually don't mind the maps at all. I like many of them, but I think it is sad that they swap out all maps each year. the good ones from previous iterations should be kept IMO, as many of the maps where classics that aren't easily replaced.

It is possible, but requires team work
If you are on a team that exhibits teamwork, you don't need to circumvent B because you have B and are stomping the other guys.
So what? You can nade enemy spawn/ initial capture points
Not from near your spawn if you don't have B, you can't, not on the maps I listed.
now it seems the flags are in more open areas meaning you need better teamwork to cap it.
And since the COD player base is comprised mainly of people who try to farm kills for that ueber streak and ignore the objectives, that's why it's a bad design choice.

Yes, on Drone (to use one example), if one guy works his way around to the back to take out enemy snipers, and two other guys keep the flanks clear, you can cap B. The fundamental problem is that if you're on a team that plays that well, you're the team that will keep B for the entire match. On Meltdown, if my team gets B first, I just sit back in the window with a sniper rifle and drill everyone who tries to take it back. If I get shot, it doesn't matter, because I'll spawn all of 50 yards away from the sniper nest and will be back and wreaking havoc in seconds. That's just plain not good flag placement.

The fundamental problem on most maps is that if your team gets B first, all they have to do is make a marginally decent effort to defend, and they probably won't give it up for the rest of the round. And if they're not dumb, they don't push on to the third flag and flip the spawn. There are a couple maps where I see B change hands several times in a round (Hijacked and Standoff in particular), but not many.
I actually don't mind the maps at all. I like many of them, but I think it is sad that they swap out all maps each year. the good ones from previous iterations should be kept IMO, as many of the maps where classics that aren't easily replaced.
Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are on a team that exhibits teamwork, you don't need to circumvent B because you have B and are stomping the other guys.

I can usually cap c and if you really want it I can hold it by myself (I usually just wait for some guys to spawn there).
And since the COD player base is comprised mainly of people who try to farm kills for that ueber streak and ignore the objectives, that's why it's a bad design choice.

I feel that in domination most go for objective. I often help in other ways, by flanking, which allows people to capture. Looking at people's scores I don't think that many care that much about kill streak! I find that there is not that many campers. Either way, campers have never had it easy in cod due to the netcode. (the way cod hides lag means that if you are turning around corner and shooting somebody, you will have the advantage: the guy on the other side will not see before signal goes from the guy cornering, to the server, then to guy being shot. While for guy turning corner it's just signal to server)[/QUOTE]
Yes, on Drone (to use one example), if one guy works his way around to the back to take out enemy snipers, and two other guys keep the flanks clear, you can cap B. The fundamental problem is that if you're on a team that plays that well, you're the team that will keep B for the entire match.

Then you take a.. Which is most likely under guarded.

On Meltdown, if my team gets B first, I just sit back in the window with a sniper rifle and drill everyone who tries to take it back. If I get shot, it doesn't matter, because I'll spawn all of 50 yards away from the sniper nest and will be back and wreaking havoc in seconds. That's just plain not good flag placement.

Take A/C or take out the sniper... I don't see a problem, I have never encountered a Dom game where I cannot run behind enemy lines...
The fundamental problem on most maps is that if your team gets B first, all they have to do is make a marginally decent effort to defend, and they probably won't give it up for the rest of the round. And if they're not dumb, they don't push on to the third flag and flip the spawn. There are a couple maps where I see B change hands several times in a round (Hijacked and Standoff in particular), but not many..

I don't find this to be true. My play style in Dom is pretty much avoiding B as much as possible (because B is always a Zerg), and instead flank guys going to B or take C. This works pretty well, as coming from the flank you can often take out the entire enemy team. leading to easy cap of B.. The biggest factor in me loosing is that my idiot team often flips the third.

The biggest flaw IMO is that spawns are fixed to such an extent if one really wants to you can easily lock down a spawn point..

Last edited by a moderator:
I can usually cap c and if you really want it I can hold it by myself
The fact that you're in the top 5% of players does not mean the maps are designed well. Every competitive game by definition has a top 5%. Everything said boils down to, "Well, if you're as skilled as me, it's easy to win." Well, yeah, that's true by definition. (I feel like we've been through this before...I point out a design flaw, and you say "It's not a flaw because I am one of the best players.")

In my experience, as an average player (my K/D is barely above 1.0), B rarely changes hands in most maps. That's evidence of poor flag placement. If you had good flag placement, you'd see the middle flag change hands more often when you've got random teams. Out of the games I've played a lot of (COD4, WaW, BlOps1), this one seems to me to have the least dynamic Domination games. And the main culprit seems to be map design.

After playing a lot more, my opinion on Domination is the same. This game has basically ruined Domination. The only way I'll play now is either in Mercenary Moshpit or with a group. The maps are fine in any other mode, although the spawns flip way, way too often in Hijacked. It's also too easy to spawn-trap on that map.

I've done a bunch of tests, and it appears the 1.4 patch introduced a bug where the grip is "always on" for non-select-fire ARs. When I deleted the patch data, everything behaved as normal. When reinstalling the patch, the ARs all behaved like pre-patch ARs did with grip, and adding the grip changed nothing. All the other weapons behave as normal with the grip. I've recorded some videos of my experiments.

http://www.youtube.com/fearsomepirate

The LMGs really kick ass in this game. My default setup in just about any Mercenary objective mode is the QBB + Tac Insert + Claymore + whatever attachments I'm into that day. Then I just hose down the lanes and cover my team's advance all day long.

Here's a question for those guys that really understand visuals. Why does MW2's take on Afghanistan look more realistic to me than BlOps2's? Despite using similar graphics engines, the latter game always looks a lot more "fake" to me.

MW2:

BlOps2:

Finally got a used copy of the game and playing the campaign, I seem to like it. I mean its light pop fiction as susual, but these BO titles stleast keep you engaged in the story. I think I am half way through. It does feel a bit disjointed but it is keeping me interested although sometimes it feels i am just killing bots. The visuals vary from bad to very good, which feels pretty strange !

What really surprised me are the strike missions. Initially i hated them but then I gave it another try when the game told me they won't be available after this mission and boy, I cleared three of them in one go and really enjoyed them !

Lets see how it goes, but the last time a COD campaign innterested me was BO and now BO2 also seems to be holding itss own for now. ALthough it does feel a bit too "teen" like.

Hoping I can find people in MP, its an old game now !

Back