change standard fonts on windows console

Chris Lux

Newcomer
hi,
is there any way to change the 2 standard fonts on the windows (2000, XP) console?
i am sick of the lucida console and raster font.

thx for any help

You mean the command prompt? For that (cmd) just right click the title bar and choose Properties > Fonts. If you mean something else, put me straight! :)

Diplo said:
You mean the command prompt? For that (cmd) just right click the title bar and choose Properties > Fonts. If you mean something else, put me straight! :)
yes i mean that, but i only can choose between lucinda console and raster font. there aren't other fonts to choose from... and thats my problem... and ;) yes i have plenty of fonts installed.

Anonymous said:
yes i mean that, but i only can choose between lucinda console and raster font. there aren't other fonts to choose from... and thats my problem... and ;) yes i have plenty of fonts installed.

ups that was me... does anyone have a idea how to change these fonts?

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread12754-1.html

On the Font tab of the property page of the Cmd.exe shortcut, appear only TTF fixed-pitch regular without Italics FF_MODERN fonts(or OEM_CHARSET for other fonts) without a negative A or C space.

Use Fontographer and build your own fonts because Letter Gothic or Century Schoolbook Monospace do not comply to such conditions.

whaaaachoooooo!!!! (my google-fu power scream)

Anonymous said:
see colon said:
whaaaachoooooo!!!! (my google-fu power scream)
just luck... i searched with google quite some time... but... OK ;) thanks ;)

ok the link does not help me at all... how do i modify a existing font, that the console shows it as an alternative... i am desperate... :(

kyleb said:
Use Fontographer?
done that, but what should i do there? i don't want or have the ability to create a new font... plus i did not find anything, that sounded like "TTF fixed-pitch regular without Italics FF_MODERN fonts(or OEM_CHARSET for other fonts) without a negative A or C space." (quote from the link)

edit: i have plenty of fixed pitch fonts installed, but no other than the two standard ones show in the selection box.

Varg Vikernes said:
You might want to try the Microsoft Shell. I just uninstalled it a couple of days ago so I can't test if it will work.
i installed it some time ago, but it uses the same win32 console window, it is like an extension to it, so there are basicly the same possibilities for setting fonts... :/

The answer, given for Windows 2000 (but it also works in Windows XP), is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q247815

You can name any font you want and it will be listed as an option, but whether it will actually work in the console depends on whether the font meets the criteria given in that article. The criteria given for TrueType fonts includes a mention of "no negative A and C widths" ... this is explained here with a diagram and here with more prose.

I was unable to find any information on how the font family designation, which is specific to Windows APIs and for which the FF_MODERN constant is one possible value, gets set for a TrueType font. It might be derived from the Panose classification in the TrueType file, but who knows.

Back