CG footage of next gen star wars game?

Powderkeg said:
You use a Force Power, but miss your target. There is no sound, and there is no rumble. What feedback do you have then?
The visible fact that the enemy isn't being lifted into the air? That the forice-lightning has gone the wrong way? From the sounds of it, you'd be surprised how many games I can play on PS2 with rumble and sound turned off, just by looking at the screen! ;)

Problem is that Force powers are also consuming energy when used, and so you might fail to activate/use one in which case there's no sound, to tell you that you can't use that force power.

Feedback is especially important if you are trying to use your powers against some element, say you're stuck and don't know what to do, you might want to force pull/push everything around, in that case if nothing happen you have no sound.

Of course you could use animations for those cases, and see the effect for all powers instead of having sound...

It's especially not appealing to me to have sfx for force power since in the movies there's no such thing.

But anyway, that video is great :)
(Was playing the latest Jedi Knight last week, hoping to see new LucasArts games such as Jedi Knight, XWing and TIE Fighter, or Indiana Jone & the Fate of Atlantis.)

Shifty Geezer said:
There wouldn't be if Ingenu was in charge. Read back through the thread to see how we got here. No sound >> no feedback >> contested.
I'm sorry I figured you were putting the question in a realistic situation with the actual game in development with this question..."And what happens if you miss?"
Powderkeg seems to make rumble the end all to feedback in console games, which is why I orginally brought up pc games.

I realise what Ingenu said (and I somewhat agree with him for being correct to the movies), but the fact is there is indeed sound in the game(s).

edit: names change, sorry Shifty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
Even when the console games are pc ports?

Even when the games are PC ports, which we don't know that this one is. I don't recall anywhere in this thread stating precisely what game this is, or what system it's been designed around, do you?

Did I not already say this? I suspect this would be a relatively large degredation to you, no? or else you wouldnt have posted on the matter?

I was participating on a discussion that was not instigated by you. Perhaps if you re-read the thread to find out how this discussion started you would have your answer.

Why wouldnt there be sound?

See Shifty's response.

Powderkeg said:
Even when the games are PC ports, which we don't know that this one is. I don't recall anywhere in this thread stating precisely what game this is, or what system it's been designed around, do you?
That was kinda my point. :LOL: If this were designed around the PC in mind, as most of the previous star wars games were (specifically jedi knights) then the whole rumble being the end all to feedback, as you are making it out to be, is kinda iffy.

I was participating on a discussion that was not instigated by you. Perhaps if you re-read the thread to find out how this discussion started you would have your answer.
Im sorry I didnt know posting on forums was a closed discussion between two members, I'm not allowed to comment? lol I'm pretty sure I have read the thread a few times, I did infact start the thread and posted many times inside of it. :p

See Shifty's response.
And read my response to Shifty's response. ;)

Dunno why you are making this so difficult Powderkeg.

cool :cool:

IGN: So just to be clear, who specifically is developing this engine? Is it LucasArts internally using the tools provided by its partners, or is it a more collaborative effort that's coming together in smaller pieces to make a larger whole?

Blackman: The engine is being developed internally here at LucasArts by experienced game development engineers. These are guys that have worked on many, many games in the past and guys who have worked on a number of really big titles. What we're doing is bringing in Pixelux's DMM technology and NaturalMotion's euphoria and combining them with a variety of different techniques that ILM uses. We honestly believe that using these technologies will result in better games.

In fact, we believe that the future of gaming is in simulation-based technologies and simulation-based gameplay. That's what we're getting with NaturalMotion and Pixelux. A large set of robust physics and biomechanical simulations are just what we're looking for.

I would really like to believe that LucasArts itself can again make a good game, but I don't think we should sit here and get all dreamy just yet. This stuff is so concept-level that it's almost a useless measure of anything. A lot of marketspeak basically.

I'm not at all convinced by this ILM & LEC partnership yet. There's not much gameplay involved in movies.

If the interactive physics and behaviour side is being handled by third parties, the odds are greatly improved, no? All the nice stuff we were seeing was a case of just using these new tools. It's not as though we need to trust Lucasarts to write their own physics and character behaviour routines from scratch.

Back