The Devil's Rejects
Saw
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Reservoir Dogs
Total Recall
Dune
Rambo: First Blood

They also seem to be planning simultaneous Blu-ray/DVD releases:

"Lionsgate's upcoming May theatrical horror release "See No Evil," featuring WWE star Kane, will be the company's first title released simultaneously on DVD and Blu-ray, Lionsgate president Steve Beeks said."

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...2_RTRUKOC_0_US-FILM-BLURAY.xml&archived=False

Terminator 2, Now there's a classic

As a clarification to the Lionsgate news, they're not all necessarily going to be there on day one, but that's the first 10 titles they're planning (and they will start hitting in the Spring).

Also interesting to note the difference in language being used by Paramount around the two formats. They talk about launching their Blu-ray titles in conjunction with delivery of Blu-ray hardware to stores, but in HD-DVD's case, they've said that their content may not accompany the first hardware - that they will "launch" when there is sufficient hardware out there. In their own words, "a few thousand units" would not be enough to motivate them to release. I guess in Blu-ray's case they are banking on PS3 to guarantee a large early base to sell to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardknock said:
House of flying daggers should be awesome in HD! Can't wait to pick that one up...

Those blu-ray cases are ridiculously ugly though, I hate the blue :???:

Yeah i must say i hate that bright blue too...

Well it's looking like Blu-ray is torpedoing HD-DVD as far as studio support goes if now there are rumors of Universal joining, LotR and Harry Potter are coming out on it as some of the firsts (if true), *and* the HD-DVD side is non-commital to movie release schedules, even though on the blu-ray side some of the players are saying they'll put movies on the shelves before players even go on sale.

So, I think at least in Hollywood's opinion, we know the expected victor.

london-boy said:
Yeah i must say i hate that bright blue too...

It's not my favourite choice of colour, but at least it'll stand out next to DVDs on the shelves, which was probably the aim. It's the same "Blu-ray Blue" they've used all along, also.

Titanio said:
It's not my favourite choice of colour, but at least it'll stand out next to DVDs on the shelves, which was probably the aim. It's the same "Blu-ray Blue" they've used all along, also.

Oh it will DEFINATELY stand out! :LOL:

Can't wait to see CGI movies like FFTSW and others on Bluray... Eye-bleeding good i expect...

Also i'd love to see The Cell (with JLo) in Hi-Def, that's one beautiful movie.

Nice to have this confirmed. I know a number of citizens of B3D have voiced a belief that Cell wasn't appearing in anything outside of PS3 and a few expensive medical imagers.

I can't wait for the high def era and the PS3. Only problem is I bought an HDTV that is a rear projection, with only compnebt cable input. Where does that leave myself and I suspect many many other current HDTV owners, as I heard BD will require HDMI for copy protection.
If there is a conversion for component is there supposed to be a degredation in quality?

Wow, what's surprising with that announcement isn't that some of their new TV's will use Cell - which I expected - but that *all* of them will. That's another boost with the economies of scale and/or the fab process refinement going towards PS3 launch, no doubt.

Like L-B, I'd be interested in hearing what they feel the advantages are as well.

ninzel said:
I can't wait for the high def era and the PS3. Only problem is I bought an HDTV that is a rear projection, with only compnebt cable input. Where does that leave myself and I suspect many many other current HDTV owners, as I heard BD will require HDMI for copy protection.

It's still a tiny bit unclear - and maybe we'll get clarification at CES - but the latest news on the AACS was encouraging for those with just component. Apparently players are not required to constrain resolution on analog outputs until at least 2011, and reportedly many studios have no interest in doing so regardless for commercial reasons (i.e. they want your custom, and they do control this on a per-title basis, so they can decide whether to use it or not). So for now at least, you might be in the clear - but it's not 100% confirmed yet, I don't think.

ninzel said:
If there is a conversion for component is there supposed to be a degredation in quality?

It's still unclear, but it's most likely that unless u find a hack, you won't be able to watch HDDVD/Bluray movies at HD resolutions - basically you're better off with DVD, unless Bluray movies will have a lot more extras and u're interested in those...

Maybe the HDCP crap will be less tight than it sounds now and you'll be able to play some movies at HD res, but i really don't expect that to happen.

EDIT: or what Titanio said ;)

I'm excited about all this news. Toshiba using cell in all TVs and all these Blu-Ray movies... I've been holding off buying some Jet Li collections and some of my favorite movies for a while.

2006 and 2007 should be great for entertainment.

Speng.

Alpha_Spartan said:
I just don't see consumers being ready for BD. I just don't.

I'm so ready :D

It would take "consumers" even longer to be ready if they waited on this. Someone's got to start the ball rolling now, and evidently the industry is in agreement that the time is right.

Alpha_Spartan said:
I just don't see consumers being ready for BD. I just don't.

HD consumers are more than ready, in fact thay're kicking themselves to have some proper HD material to show off their new HDTVs. Obviously those people are a small minority compared to the whole population. It will take time.

In the UK, a couple million flat-screens have been sold in the last year, half of those being "officially" HD-Ready. That's a lot of units for a small country like the UK. And it will only get better. All those people will want to watch HD material, and HDDVD/Bluray is just perfect.

Well thanks for the info. There's no way I'm buying another big screen HDTV within the next 5 years. I guess I can wait after all.
I just find it hard to beleive that makers of mainstream consumers products would put up such a barrier to early adoption.

I must admit I'm looking forward to HD films be it HDDVD or Blu-Ray having lashed out an huge amount on a Pani PV500 . The one that offers the best value per a £ I'm buying. Besides if I consider it to be HDDVD I will have my PS3 as my Blu-ray player even though I know it will be a bog standard in terms of quality. The only thing I'm a bit varry of is all the trailers I've watched off LIVE on the 360 in 720p (Nania being a prime candidate) I have been really underwelemed. Yes it looks better but the jump is nowhere near what I expected. I have a Denon DVD player which upscales to 720p and although not as good it really isn't that much of a difference.

Back