CD Drives on the 8400 simply "don't exist."

Hello. I need help from this hive of masterminds.

I'm just going post the same here as I posted on the Dell help boards (the place looks near-deserted, which is unsettling to me). You may not like it, but there isn't anything you can do about that, now is there? Haha. Except moderate me to my knees, of course.

--------

So, I got my new computer today, a Dell Dimension 8400. Mighty fine name, that.

Just about the first thing I see on the boot screen is:

"Drive 4 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE Master)
Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

Clearly, this upped my anxiousness by some few levels, but I hit F1 to continue as if I didn't just see that (because I certainly don't know how to use that setup utility properly) and the easy initial setup goes without a hitch. But, alas, there is no CD drive to be seen in "My Computer," though everything else is in place. The thing certainly is connected physically (I peeked), and if I press the Eject button it does indeed eject. It just isn't there.

I uninstalled both IDE / ATAPI controllers, but after the reboot they just went and reinstalled themselves, and, lo and behold, nothing had changed.

So then I thought, "Maybe the CD-ROM is simply broken in some way" (not that this thought didn't mildly enrage me), but then I opened up the computer and put a quite new DVD burner in there as well, to see if that one would get detected. Let's say... granted, it didn't go undetected; when I had started up, for a split second, it said down in the right corner that new hardware was found. This would turn out to be all the fun I would be having with that, however. Nothing more happened, no new CD drive appeared under "My Computer." So yes, I feel pretty darn sure my drives are in perfect condition. I just want to know why in the subnormal clownskies they aren't appearing. For now I'll just sit here with a slightly acerbated look in the eye, some froth coming out of my mouth, awaiting the brilliance of some of you fine folk.

Thoughts, suggestions, threats?

Did you check your BIOS to make sure both IDE channels are enabled and set to automatic? Did you make sure your jumper are set right on the drive for which cable they're on? (Slave/master/auto-detect)

I've had my jumpers messed up before and it wouldn't recognize anything, that would be the first thing I'd check.

Thanks.

But I, uh, I recongize the words and stuff.. but I really don't have a clue what exactly it is you're saying. I checked the BIOS setup screen if that's what you meant, and I saw no direct mention of any "IDE channel." :( As for the slave and master stuff.. sounds really strange this hasn't been configured correctly right out of Dell's factory. I don't know about how to put the right order of devices or stuff like that. Pretty much.

If you really have no clue about this stuff and don't know someone who does, you should call Dell and get them to send someone out - isn't that the sort of service you payed extra to Dell for?

I'll certainly call them, but I thought I'd ask you since it turned into weekend the moment I got the computer. I'm not entirely retarded, so I think you could make me understand in plain text. It's up to you. =) I just need something a bit more detailed, that's all.

On the back of your CD drive there will be a number of little pins in a box near where you plug your power molex (the cable from the power supply) in. Those are the "pins". There should be a little black thingy on a couple of them, that's called a "jumper".

By moving the jumpers position you can tell the CD drive if it is in master, slave, or cable-select mode. That cable that hooks up from your CD to your motherboard is called an IDE cable. The far end that does NOT hook up to the motherboard is the master and the one sort of in the middle is the slave.

Most modern systems are just auto-detect, I thought this was a used system. :oops:

I'll hunt up the stats on it in a bit if I get some time and see if I can help more.

It's just that if you don't have the background knowledge to know what a jumper is or why a drive might need to be master/slave/CS, or where to see IDE device settings in your BIOS, I'm not sure you should be digging around in your new PC while it is still under warrenty. It's not difficult stuff, but ignorance could cause you a lot more problems. That's why I suggested that if you know someone who knows this stuff, they could probably fix the problem and show you how it works a lot more simply.

Dell on the other hand will be able to send someone out or talk you through their specific BIOS settings.

If you really want to figure it out yourself, you need to look at your motherboard manual to see where the BIOS setting for the IDE drives are. You might just need to manually detect the drive.

Something is strange. Not that my word counts for much, but I really don't think it's a Master and Slave and etc. problem. First of all, I think it's very natural to assume this was configured correctly by Dell. Also, I'm using the plug on the far end of the IDE cable (i.e. how it was from the beginning). And, the drive certainly looks activated to me when I look at the settings for it in the BIOS.

And last but not least, here's a picture that actually shows that the thing is enabled in the BIOS setup:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/riftsequla/enabled_combodrive.JPG

The boot sequence is worrying, though:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/riftsequla/boot_sequence.JPG

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.:
It's just that if you don't have the background knowledge to know what a jumper is or why a drive might need to be master/slave/CS, or where to see IDE device settings in your BIOS
I know what a jumper is, and I never said I couldn't see the IDE device settings in my BIOS (I can see them quite fine), I only said I couldn't recognise the phrase "IDE channel" anywhere. Luckily I don't just go ahead and do all sorts of radical stuff without being pretty sure this won't cause any harm. As for configurations that are blatantly beyond my understanding, I always leave those alone (why shouldn't I?). I don't know much about the physical handling of the jumpers on this, or any, machine, though. Somehow I don't think doing anything to them is necessary, either. But, who knows.

Just for the hell of it, here's pictures of the drive sitting in my machine, too, in case you can spot something that's wrong:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/riftsequla/combodrive_closeup_00.JPG
http://members.lycos.co.uk/riftsequla/combodrive_overview_00.JPG

Err.. oops.

It wasn't connected to the motherboard......

Hey, it only took me six separate and close inspections, okay!?

*pops in CD, watches ensuing heavly grace*

Hotep Mass Driver said:
Err.. oops.

It wasn't connected to the motherboard......

Hey, it only took me six separate and close inspections, okay!?

*pops in CD, watches ensuing heavly grace*
Hey, as long as the story has a happy ending it's all good. 8)

Though the issue has been resolved, it is worth noting Dell always straps their devices as cable select.

Their hardware is actually quite splendid from a design/quality point of view I have to say. If I wasn't such a tweak-freak, I would definitely want to own a Dell for the sheer solidness of their boxes. Good value for money too I might add. :)

Back