Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - looks astounding!!!

I just completed GoWIII two times straight (not consecutively straight hours, but in the past few days), so it's fresh in my mind. I'm not comparing the visuals as a whole, I'm just comparing art style. When I viewed the first image Nebula posted, the first comparison that came to my mind was the Gaia part in GoW III.

I do agree that it's not as impressive as GoW, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but that's because it's a huge giant made from rocks that a tiny player character's running around on ;)
It's not the style but the content that's similar. In general the two games look very different.

The lighting and color schemes are actually very different IMHO, even in these scenes. GOWIII has a more contrasted look, almost completely black darks and very sharp highlights...
They might look different, and I think artists have a sort of emotional attachment to their craft. I can't tell you the exact differences, but Castlevania's producer said recently in an interview that the game is mostly based on Castlevania IV gameplay, that's their inspiration. They had to adapt the new 3D graphics to the controls, or vice versa. :p

He also said the comparisons with GoW3 exist but he thinks they aren't accurate at all because the game has different influences.

There's a new gameplay video. I am sure it's from the PS3 version. I like how it looks :oops: .

The video features a battle against an ice giant. Apart from the nice gameplay, the song Hellrider by Judas Priest provides the entertainment for the video.

Billy Idol, thanks for sharing the links. The game certainly looks promising and some technical details and features like the length of the game are soooo mind blowing.

They might look different, and I think artists have a sort of emotional attachment to their craft. I can't tell you the exact differences, but Castlevania's producer said recently in an interview that the game is mostly based on Castlevania IV gameplay, that's their inspiration. They had to adapt the new 3D graphics to the controls, or vice versa. :p

He also said the comparisons with GoW3 exist but he thinks they aren't accurate at all because the game has different influences.

There's a new gameplay video. I am sure it's from the PS3 version. I like how it looks :oops: .

The video features a battle against an ice giant. Apart from the nice gameplay, the song Hellrider by Judas Priest provides the entertainment for the video.

Billy Idol, thanks for sharing the links. The game certainly looks promising and some technical details and features like the length of the game are soooo mind blowing.

Thats a complete SOTC rip-off :mad: !!!! I think, gameplay wise, SOTC did the same thing better than this one. What with the giant trying to scratch at his body......huh......:rolleyes: ! I was thinking how is he going to fight this giant with melee weapons and what do the game designers do?....

Game Designer:"Hey I just played Shadow of The Colossus and I think we can do it exactly like that !"

Resident A$$hole in meeting: "Bravo ! Sir, you have had the best Idea ever! That way we'll have two good games in one. Your earlier brilliance of incorporating GOW has paid off well too. "

Producer:"Yeah ! I like this guy, We are gonna be rich soon! WHat other good games are out there?"

Resident A$$hole in meeting: " Oh there's Gears of War, Sir. We could have a shooting segment in caves! "(looks around frantically to see people pleased with his brilliant idea)

Game Designer: " Hmmm.....thats too popular, but.....we could go for Uncharted gameplay, that fits in very well with our melee attacks too ....(marvels at his own spark of intelligence and how he just rejected the a*hole's idea and made it his own)"

Resident A*hole is disappointed, but then he needs a promotion and applauds his senior again for the seamless addition.

Producer:"Yeah ! and we'll have a press conference announcing that MR. Kojima had suggested a brilliant shooting segment to get variety into the gameplay. The whole internet will applaud Mr. Kojima's brilliance !"

Meeting is over. Game changing decisions made ! Game Designer goes to his workstation to play more games that can be ripped. A*hole reads more books on how to please ur boss.

Meanwhile the producer dreams of big bucks and flashy Sunglasses !

:devilish:
.:LOL:

The production values are simply incredible, it may easily be the best looking multiplatform game of the entire generation. I don't dare to even think about the budget of this game, especially if it's as long as the rumors say.

image_castlevania_lords_of_shadow-13777-1869_0010.jpg

Those textures are all hand painted and incredibly polished. Were it not projected back to an ingame low-res model, the artwork could easily fit into any of Blur's or our cinematics. Oh, and the technology seems pretty tight as well.

Epic to say the least!

Like Laa-Yosh said, the cinematic sequences would not look out of place in a full CG movie and to take it a step further this looks like it could end up being the best looking video game period! The animation on some of those NPC characters is phenomenal, and outside of something like Uncharted 2 and GoW 3 it literally blows the competition out of the water. The game looks technically beautiful as well, with tons of dynamic lights, sun shafts and very high quality textures. I imagine deciding to go over one DVD worth on content allowed them to max out the possible texture quality possible on both consoles. It has always seemed to me like the best PS3 exclusives from first party studios had better texture quality than anything on Microsoft's console. Its something I always attributed to the vast storage gap between DVD and BluRay. I am eagerly anticipating this game!

Nice design and graphics are technically sound. The trailer spoiled a bit too much for my liking though, Kojima showed way too many bosses and plot development but all that did compile into an epic as hell trailer. At this point I'm getting the game day one and hopefully the native res is 720p with some aa.

those cut scene are probably prerecorded videos rendered on high end pc I'm guessing (judging by some early 16:10 bullshots of the game itself). Its ok as long as they can keep the in game videos looks very similar to the cut scenes and have very consistence art. Technically, I am not sure if it can compare to GOW3 since it suppose to cap at 30 fps with no AA (based on early analysis). I read the recent IGN previews, my hype went up to 200%, then watch the dev walk through at gametrailers, hype drop back to 50% games looks a bit generic and I think someone said theres no combo interrupt or something.

They better keep a 720p buffer if there's no aa, don't want those nice textures to suffer the blurriness of sub hd and jaggies.
Then again, the pic from laa yosh looks like a direct feed capture since you can see all the aliasing. Maybe I should investigate the tech sub forum.

The character art style reminds me of Hokuto no Ken. Does the hero in Castlevania have ungodly skills too ? I remember this is an action RPG game right ?

Hope Kojima gives the game all he's got. MGS4 is awesome partly because of his camera work. It's like watching an epic action movie. [size=-2]Don't give him too much time or there'll be too many cutscenes :p[/size]

The character art style reminds me of Hokuto no Ken. Does the hero in Castlevania have ungodly skills too ? I remember this is an action RPG game right ?

Hope Kojima gives the game all he's got. MGS4 is awesome partly because of his camera work. It's like watching an epic action movie. [size=-2]Don't give him too much time or there'll be too many cutscenes :p[/size]

From what I understand, for better or worse, Kojima is loosely involved with this project. More of a executive producer than anything else.

some of the arts reminds me alot of Guillermo del Toro movies, but some enemies looks like generic crap from their last game clive barker's jericho.

The production values are simply incredible, it may easily be the best looking multiplatform game of the entire generation. I don't dare to even think about the budget of this game, especially if it's as long as the rumors say.

Those textures are all hand painted and incredibly polished. Were it not projected back to an ingame low-res model, the artwork could easily fit into any of Blur's or our cinematics. Oh, and the technology seems pretty tight as well.

Wooo.....ooooW ! :oops:

and 24 hours? Is that really confirmed? That is too much ! no actually, in this time of overload of AAA titles, I am missing what I used to love most when there were lesser number of games for the ps3:- Replaying the games ! Its only by replaying that you really understand the genius that goes into making these games.

Back