Age of Empires Definitive Edition announced.

Some interesting tidbits from that interview:

1. As you also worked on the original game at Ensemble Studios; What was it like working on this, compared to working on the original Age of Empires?

1. Since I got to revisit code from the past, some of which I wrote, I sometimes found myself reflecting on how my programming skills have improved in the intervening decades. One of the biggest differences compared to working on the game in the 1990s is how much more powerful our computers and tools have become. The powerful ‘developer machine’ I used when originally making the game was a 166mhz Pentium with 16 Megabytes (not Giga) of RAM and a 1 Megabyte 2D video card driving a 17-inch monitor. A full build of the game took about 15 to 20 minutes to complete. When we made that build again at the start of the DE project…it took about 20 seconds.

1. Wow my PC at the time was more powerful than that, it has double the memory at least.

Rich Geldreich Jr, Senior Engineer in the game talked about how they improved the game and updated it.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/meet-team-rich-geldreich-jr-senior-engineer/

They are going to Gamescom, wonder what they will be up to.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-empires-gamescom/

AoE_GC_Logo_Color_1920x1080-1024x576.png

They are going to Gamescom, wonder what they will be up to.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-empires-gamescom/

From that blog entry:

We’ll be talking all things Age of Empires with some of the legendary developers who worked on the games as well as sharing some exciting news that fans will not want to miss – watch on mixer.com or through the Mixer app.

I stand by my previous post: there's no way they're making all this fuss over a remaster.

Some very interesting stories of players who used original techniques to win a game. Some of them are very cool. The guy picking up the blue color to confuse their enemies placing buildings close to the water, which is blue, is pretty good. So it is the converting machine :LOL::LOL: to trap and convert units.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/wololo-wednesday-august-contest-july-winners/

Giesber

“We used to play AoEII over the LAN, and I had the reputation to resurrect after being almost killed. Usually they came hunting for me by sending some scouts and keeping an eye on the minimap.”

Giesber-1024x819.png

So I chose blue, which goes great with the water. When I noticed the 2 other remaining players fighting I quickly built a bunch of barracks and started making champions. When only 1 enemy was left I had a massive army, so cursing followed
tongue.png
.”

KingDarBoja

“One of my favourite memories from Age of Empires were the big battles vs Hard AI at 3v3 matches. I don’t have any screenshot of those battles since I forgot them in my old computer but recently I played the Dracula campaign and there was a big battle that resembles pretty much what I like of AI: They don’t stop figthing until the very end and have smart army compositions.

Everytime I tried to counter their army composition while the other AI players were figthing at the oposite side of map (usually black forest map) they come and destroy pretty much of my army with a non-stopping wave of units that keep countering my own army composition. No matter what I go, they always find a way to counter pikeman with archers, archers with skirmisher and a lot of cavalry. At the heat of battle, I went into trash army with lot of buildings (10 barracks, 12 archery range) to stop them and push with some few trebuchet into enemy castles in a attmept to snipe the king (yes, Regicide) but ended in a terrible loss since my AI partners got owned at the time I was holding against the others AI.”

KingDarBoja-1024x578.jpg

Pretty much what Dracula campaign is all about, fighting until the end (but this time I won Muahahaha!)”

FKAWonderRaceAddict

FKAWonderRaceAddict-1024x576.png

“One of my favourite memories from Age of Empires was way back in 2004 when my sister created this ‘enemy converting machine’, which I later tweaked to suit my game-play. To use it, one must lure a troop of an enemy’s army into the gated compound where the monks can safely convert the enemy troops, giving you free armies! Bear in mind that bloodshed may occur between the converted and unconverted units, though.

I’d usually place these ‘machines’ in front of my town/ as my front gate in the “Arena” map. It was super cool when I was six years old and I used them all the time. However, I stopped using them as much when I grow older due to impracticality and it being unsuitable with my game-play.

(The above image is a recreation. I didn’t screenshot things when I was six, unfortunately.)”

rhrmn

“My favorite recent memory is one of my villagers randomly catching fire for a short time when playing a quest in Age of Empires Online. The screenshot below was borrowed from @MuhsinTpd. Other players had villagers which went up in purple smoke and some buildings in our capital cities would randomly be on fire. It was something special which occurred at random and you really needed to look closely to catch it when it happened to you. That is part of the reason I fondly remember Age of Empires Online.”

rhrmn-1024x576.jpg

Thorwyn

Thorwyn-1024x576.png

“(Image recreated in HD)
“Pope and the Antipope”
I remember playing, back in 2007, the 3rd mission of Barbarossa campaign and thinking, “Am I supposed to win with just some monks?” I didn’t think about converting green villagers and I set sail straight to Milan. Through some clever micro I managed to get into the city and win in just a few minutes. Then I heard that it was supposed to be harder, doing all building-converting-from-green stuff.”

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to everyone who participated!

On to this months contest! I don’t know about all of you, but generally when I play AoE my towns end up a bit of a jumbled mess in my rush to get things up and running, and they are probably no fun at all for my villagers to live in. That’s why for this months contest we’d like you to build a town in any AoE game that you would actually like to live in! It can be anything from a sprawling kingdom, to a cute little hamlet, just have fun with it!

Your entry MUST include an image and must relate to an Age of Empires game (or an illustration having to do with one). You may also include a written portion explaining your entry that may be no more than 600 characters in length (not including spaces); if your entry includes non-English words, you must provide an accurate English translation of those words in your written portion.

We’ll pick our five favorites, and the winners will each be able to choose two of the below prizes! We’ll reach out to the winners via private message on forums.ageofempires.com, so keep an eye on your inbox! Submissions must be appropriate, and must be submitted in the forum discussion thread here before 5:00 PM PDT on August 30th, 2017. You can find the full official rules here.

Good luck everyone!

the game kind of can get installed, but it doesn't download the entire game I think. If you try to launch it there is only a splash screen featuring the game's cover and that's it.

I can't see too many ppl wanting this, after all its not in the list of 100 best PC games ;)
FWIW 'Age of Mythology extended edition' is one of the 10 or so games I have installed on my PC

I can't see too many ppl wanting this, after all its not in the list of 100 best PC games ;)
FWIW 'Age of Mythology extended edition' is one of the 10 or so games I have installed on my PC
me too! I still prefer AoE2 was AoM was fine. The new version though has several performance issues, like the inability to keep a steady 60 fps framerate for no apparent reason regardless of how powerful is your machine. I played it on my 2011 laptop with Intel HD 3000 graphics and my laptop/tablet from 2016, also with a integrated graphics card, so you could expect performance issues and framerates of 30 fps and below. But the framerate can drop to 58 fps or so on desktop PCs, and sometimes below iirc and that's an issue with the engine or whatever.

I pre-ordered the game a few months ago and they collected the other day because the intended release date was October 19th, but alas they moved back the release date and are targeting early 2018. I am so hyped to play this game but it might take a while..

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-empires-de-release-update/

As long as they make it as perfect as it can be I am okay with it, but this is a perfect game to use my brand new 4K monitor --I am thinking about getting it next week.

They've announced definitive editions of AoE II and III as well, apparently. I never spent much time with AoE I, but I played the shit out of AoE II. For some reason, I still dream of this game pretty regularly, and it's the only game for which that happens. I'll probably play AoE Definitive Edition. Well, I'll probably want to play it but fail to find the time to do so.

I' ve played aoe II much more too, even bought the newer expansions.. and I launch a game once in a blue moon too lose vs the AI :)

But I watch games almost daily now on twitch.. In fact, starting today there's a big 1 vs 1 tournament goin on. Cant w8 to watch !

They've announced definitive editions of AoE II and III as well, apparently. I never spent much time with AoE I, but I played the shit out of AoE II. For some reason, I still dream of this game pretty regularly, and it's the only game for which that happens. I'll probably play AoE Definitive Edition. Well, I'll probably want to play it but fail to find the time to do so.
well, I played both. Sooooo addictive. However the multiplayer was more refined in AoE2. Campaigns were incredible in both, but for some reason AoE1 campaigns hold a special place for me.

The game is going to be delayed til early 2018, and I am invited to the beta, plus they game me a code to download Rise of Nations Extended Edition for free! :LOL: So now I can delete the game from my Steam account and play it from the Store instead, which I kinda prefer.

code.png

TheViperAOC plays Age of Empires Definitive Edition, just 16 days to go. I am currently installing the game already.

Last edited:
The game came out today! I felt emotional when listening to the intro music and playing the game once again. I am currently playing the original campaigns, they have sooooooooooo many epic moments, I spent countless hours playing them, sometimes with customised MIDI music and a soundfont in the background -like say Michael Jackson's "Beat it"-.

I am going to spend some extra countless hours reliving those glorious campaigns like I did before. I loved the new zoom very much, a must have feature for most RTSs imho --Supremme Commander excels at that. The music and voices with instruments are sheer love. Technically wise the game looks a lot more polished and easy on the eyes. The developers mentioned that a single trireme unit has a larger file size than the entirety of the original game.

The amazement I felt when I played the original game for the first time isn't the same with this version, though. Back then seeing graphics like that and the evocative atmosphere made me fall in love with the game and I purchased it immediately after playing the demo which was bundled with a PC magazine of the time. ;):smile2: PC Mania was the magazine.

Back