Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - looks astounding!!!

I know it won't be Bayonetta in terms of combat awesomeness but I hope it'll be fun and not repetitive.

We need Bayonetta 2. Are we the only 2 forum posters that have played and finished the first one.

I hope they don't jack up the story. It also appears that the gameplay that was posted on Gametrailers is from the opening/tutorial section of the game--it may bode well for a good amount of variety.

I worked with the MS guys on Jericho. These are really dedicated guys, and the fact Kojima is involved speaks volumes. I'll have a word with them, ask which platform is lead, maybe can get a few more titbits. Anyone got any questions they'd like answered?
That's sure a pretty neat idea. I'd like to have a couple of questions answered -thanks in advance.

Well, what's the console they have chosen as the main develop platform? As far as I know I remember someone -or reading some article- that it was the PS3, but I am not sure.

What's, approximately, the duration of the game? And, what about the gameplay? Is it God of War like or more of a platformer like Castlevania 4? I really hope they can bring back Castlevania 4 gameplay, that was my favourite Castlevania game.

Other actual developers here are praising the graphics and saying they are quite impressive, so I am not going to tell otherwise. Nice stuff. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Live has the new E3 trailer as well as the previous 2009 E3 and extended 2009 E3 trailers. They're all worth watching and it looks quite impressive, IMO. Haven't seen the new trailer on PSN yet (both of the old ones are, however). If you can stomach G4, they also have a live stage demo of the PS3 version during their Day 2 coverage, IIRC.

Although that priest lady's outfit is over the top...

I'm pretty sure its physically impossible for a Priestess' outfit to be over the top. :yes:

We need Bayonetta 2. Are we the only 2 forum posters that have played and finished the first one.

I hope they don't jack up the story. It also appears that the gameplay that was posted on Gametrailers is from the opening/tutorial section of the game--it may bode well for a good amount of variety.

To celebrate, I just re bought Bayonetta for $15 off gamefly.

I worked with the MS guys on Jericho. These are really dedicated guys, and the fact Kojima is involved speaks volumes. I'll have a word with them, ask which platform is lead, maybe can get a few more titbits. Anyone got any questions they'd like answered?

The frame rate and resolution output on PS3?

MS's David Cox confirmed that they're leading on PS3 back in January:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177651

@ShinContra PS3 is the lead platform but the game is identical on both formats.

Graphically, it's impressive alright. It strikes me as DMC4 on steroids character design wise.. one of the enemies in the trailer looked like a giant rag marionette. The extended trailer showed some impressive lighting, shadows, and physics in the environments. It looked like it's running at 60Hz with 30Hz cutscenes too. They've also got some big names doing the VA

However, I'm still waiting to hear more about the combat engine and hopefully puzzles before I commit.

EDIT: I noticed that Cox recommended checking out this preview:

http://spawnkill.com/2010/06/19/e3-10-hands-on-with-castlevania-lords-of-shadow/

The just of it is that the game is comparable to GOW than DMC or NG. In other words, I'm super relieved because western developers have never been able to replicate the combat intricacy found in Japanese games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I like the gameplay. The main character doesn't really appeal to me though--he's just not bad ass enough...yet. I need more of a Kratos/Ryu/Bayonetta vibe for me.

The not quite so badassness is what I appreciate the most about what I've seen from the dude so far. I think Kratos started out as an interesting and promising character in the first God of War, but he became more and more one note, ridiculous and downright detestable with each subsequent entry in the franchise. At the end of God of War 3 I was rooting for the gods.

The not quite so badassness is what I appreciate the most about what I've seen from the dude so far. I think Kratos started out as an interesting and promising character in the first God of War, but he became more and more one note, ridiculous and downright detestable with each subsequent entry in the franchise. At the end of God of War 3 I was rooting for the gods.

Regarding Kratos, I was rooting for the Gods at the end as well.

You got to admit that those games had character though. From what I've seen, I'm not getting that vibe ala Ryu - the quiet Super Ninja or Bayonetta - the Sexy Naughty Witch or Kratos - the mad as hell, I hate everyone Spartan.

I think the character needs some kind of pizzazz.

Regarding Kratos, I was rooting for the Gods at the end as well.

For what it's worth, I thought the story suited that development very well though.

As for Lords of Shadow, I'm currently not convinced. Will be interesting to see where it ends up.

Whoa the game really looks nice.I watched two gameplay videos from E3 and it looked kinda GOWish in terms of look and gameplay.Loved the object based motion blur,its rare to see that in console games and it really adds to look of the game.

Yeah, nice design (except for the small werewolves), pretty good art direction, lighting, technology (maybe some pixelated shadows) and a completely incredible level of polish on everything.
Let's hope the game's good as well... ;)

The big werewolf reminds me of the bosses in Resistance 2. QTE aside, it does not react to my regular attacks and keeps doing its own thing. This will detach the player from the game if done too often. The GoW3 combat is more engaging in comparison.

... it does not react to my regular attacks and keeps doing its own thing. This will detach the player from the game if done too often. The GoW3 combat is more engaging in comparison.

This is what I thought as well...that is why I have to test it myself and we don't know if they change it a little bit during the dev of the game. But in this vid, the impact of your moves seems to be rather low...which could indeed decrease satisfaction :smile:

On the other hand, it wouldn't be fair to judge GOW3 gameplay using just the first tutorial on Gaia either...attacks+gameplay change during the game so let's wait and see how this turns out!!

Back