Age of Empires Definitive Edition announced.

I completed the Egyptian campaign already! Not much of an achievement, but it helps a lot to quickly recapture the feeling of the game. And that is amazing because now I want to play more and more. It has to be said that the new features of the game are heaven sent and make micromanagement -not original AoE strongpoint- so much better now. List of new features (by that I mean controls and gameplay) here:

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/whats-new-age-empires-definitive-edition-2/

• Attack Move: One of the community’s most-requested improvements is now in the game! Hold A and right-click to send your army to a location and attack any opponents on the way! :love::love: (so much of a life saver)
  • Fast farm reseeding: With a villager selected, right-click on an exhausted farm to reseed it!
  • Customizeable UI: Change the size of font and UI panels in the Settings menu!
  • Full screen toggle: Switch between full screen and windowed mode by hitting Alt + Enter.
  • Higher population cap: Change population cap in the game creation lobby. You can go up to 250 population per player… 5 times higher than the original cap of 50!
  • Rally Points: With any unit production building selected, right-click at any point on the ground to have all units produced at that building gather there.
  • Villager Rally Points: With the Town Center selected, right-click on anything you could send a villager to gather or build. New villagers created at that TC will head straight to that resource, without you needing to assign them! (For example, right-click on a nearby tree. The next villager will walk straight to the tree and begin chopping wood, instead of going idle and waiting for commands.)
  • Select Idle Villagers: Can you believe this one wasn’t in the original game?? Hit hotkey . to immediately select the next idle villager and get them back to work! (this one is so great too)
  • Select Idle Military: You didn’t build those chariot archers so they could sit there and look pretty (although, with the new graphics, they certainly do). Hit hotkey , to find your idle military units and send them to destroy your opponent!
  • Unit queueing: Okay, seriously? You couldn’t queue units in buildings before now? Well now you can! Just keep clicking the unit portrait for whatever you’d like to build! Or, to take it to the next level, Shift + click to queue 5 at a time. Efficiency!
  • Multi-building queue: For when you need a ton of archers, NOW. Select several of the same production building (e.g. barracks) by holding Ctrl + left-click. Then click the unit portrait as normal (or use the hotkey) to distribute the queue evenly among all selected buildings. You can even shift + click to distribute five units at a time into the queue. Hope you have plenty of resources!
  • Right-click mouse scroll: Zoom around the map like never before! With no unit selected, right-click and drag to exactly the area you want to see!
  • Mouse zoom: Speaking of zooming, you can now zoom in and out dynamically using your mouse scroll wheel. :love::love:love it
  • Go to Event Hotkey: Nothing is worse than hearing the attack horn and not knowing where the action is happening! Hit hotkey backspace to cycle the camera through the most recent events on the map.
  • Walkable farms: No more farm walls! You can walk right over farmland and destroy your opponent. (If you need some defenses of your own, research ACTUAL walls at the granary starting in the Tool Age.) :smile2::smile2: this one was a must have
  • New default key layout: Building hotkeys are now mapped to the UI grid by default, making it easy to remember which key to hit to build your dock! (hint: it’s T.)
  • And MORE!

TheViperAOC is in the same campaign scenario as I am! I've played through the tutorial Egyptians campaign, just like when I started playing AoE and got through it pretty fast of course. It's an odd feeling I don't experience with many games, but I play an scenario and I remember it quite vividly! Not the little details but the places where I built my base in nomad-like scenarios like in this scenario of the Greeks campaign. The campaigns of this game are so addictive. I have a long story of playing RTS games, but no campaign have achieve the level of epicness of some moments in AoE campaigns.

Second map of the greek campaign in Age of Empires Definitive Edition, played by The Viper. He is in for a treat in the next map.....

Back