Can this be the future of next-gen games?

I wanted to ask you guys do you see the PS3 or Xbox 360 being able to produce what some guy named Paul estimated actually happening?
PS3_ACE_DIAGRAM_FINAL.jpg

ps3_tekken_diagram_copy.jpg

Ps3_FF_diagram_copy.jpg

ps3_GT_diagram.jpg

To me it seems feasible, but what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd beleieve it, although i think the lighting/reflections of that benz looks kinda weak compared to the corvette before it. (maybe its the color throwing me off) I cant wait to see what tekken looks like next gen :D

<---HUGE tekken fan :)

Depends how much money you got ;)

Give us developers enough time, resources and a few XBox360 devkits and we'll work magic. Guaranteed :D

Jack

Nerve-Damage said:
No problem :cool:

Off topic: Man the PS2 graphics (in this case) makes the PS1 look like stone age technology. :LOL:

PS1 is stone age technology. The low-res, non-filtered, wobbly textures just look painful. Even in 1996 it looked bad.

as far as still shots (3rd gen Car, 3rd-gen Tekken, 3rd gen FF) sure no reason why not. the problem is, you don't know how dynamic the action is in those CGs (the Tekken CG, the Final Fantasy CG), so it is hard to say.

we have not yet seen videogames that have dynamic worlds that rival the in-motion CG scenes from Final Fantasy 8 and 9 on PSOne. I am not saying next-gen consoles (X360, PS3) are not capable of it, but, it will take years to see, at least LARGE games, with that much detail, modeling, everything, in them.

i'm sorry this post of mine did not turn out very well - havent had any decent sleep in days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megadrive1988 said:
as far as still shots (3rd gen Car, 3rd-gen Tekken, 3rd gen FF) sure no reason why not. the problem is, you don't know how dynamic the action is in those CGs (the Tekken CG, the Final Fantasy CG), so it is hard to say.

we have not yet seen videogames that have dynamic worlds that rival the in-motion CG scenes from Final Fantasy 8 and 9 on PSOne. I am not saying next-gen consoles (X360, PS3) are not capable of it, but, it will take years to see, at least LARGE games, with that much detail, modeling, everything, in them.

i'm sorry this post of mine did not turn out very well - havent had any decent sleep in days.

But what about Heavenly Sword? There seems to be a lot of characters on screen and I can imagine a lot of dynamic stuff could be going on.

Jeez, looking at that, no wonder people aren't that interested in next-gen. PS2 improved on all the shitty aspects of PSOne. Next-gen is all about lighting, DoF and motion blurs; trying to fake CG-style graphics IMO.
I think that only FF isn't possible, and that will be mostly faked, so we'll get a good approximation of that graphic quality. But nothing with such complex lighting, modelling...

It is also very interesting (assuming that this is possible, which I guess it will once some of PS3 demos looked better) to see that the jump (at least for our eyes) from PS to PS2 is much bigger than it will be from PS2 to PS3..

Reznor007 said:
PS1 is stone age technology. The low-res, non-filtered, wobbly textures just look painful. Even in 1996 it looked bad.
Hey I found them superb in 1996 :p

pc999 said:
It is also very interesting (assuming that this is possible, which I guess it will once some of PS3 demos looked better) to see that the jump (at least for our eyes) from PS to PS2 is much bigger than it will be from PS2 to PS3..
i couldn't agree more. something else to keep in mind is that we're comparing ps2 (commonly considered the weakest of all current gen consoles) to what we expect from PS3 (commonly considered to be the strongest* of all next gen consoles). take the leap from XB to PS3 and the difference is even smaller.

*or at least as good as the competition

see colon said:
i couldn't agree more. something else to keep in mind is that we're comparing ps2 (commonly considered the weakest of all current gen consoles) to what we expect from PS3 (commonly considered to be the strongest* of all next gen consoles). take the leap from XB to PS3 and the difference is even smaller.

*or at least as good as the competition

Don't hate me for saying it but this is way I hope KZ and Motorstorm can look like that video Sony showed. If it does then that difference would be as big as PS1 -> PS2.

mckmas8808 said:
Don't hate me for saying it but this is way I hope KZ and Motorstorm can look like that video Sony showed. If it does then that difference would be as big as PS1 -> PS2.

Depend, if we speak about the visual alone I dont agree at all, but if we speak about the AI, physics etc... then it looks that the jump is much bigger than gfx yet dont know if it is a fair comparition as current gen (almost) never had been asked to do that as big as gfx (althought if we compare Black, Burnout, Halo2 or HL2 to the almost completely statics and "horrrible" animation from N64 then, while maybe not so much in perception as this one, it there is also a big jump here too IMO).

Well that GT shot should be easily surpassed, isn't that just a photo mode shot from GT4?, the 3rd fighter plane picture is not very good. I don't think next FF is going to look as good as FF X CGI, but if you choose wisely and take a one picture of FF PS3 it can probably appear just as nice as that FF 3rd gen picture.

Back