Can this be the future of next-gen games?

Guden Oden said:
I seem to remember that most of the cutscenes I saw from MGS2 were 60FPS. Well, 50 really, since my PS2 is PAL, heh, but you know what I mean. ;)

The intro sequence wasn't, due to its immense complexity I suppose. A few of the others weren't either, but I believe that was said at the time to be for cinematic reasons rather than hardware restrictions.

Interesting I'd heard they were at 30fps and assumed that to be so given the lack of need for a fast framerate during non-gameplay sequences in addition to the presence of all those nice movie'ish effects(depth field, motion blur, etc.) and what seemed like slightly more detailed models.

dantruon said:
i dont know about you guy but the difference between the ps1 and ps2 is enormous and i think the people involve in the evolution deserve a round of applaud.From this gen to the next gen i cant see a bigger leap than the ps1 to ps2.
Maybe not when you hit HDTV though. Looking at FFX on PS2, with hideous jaggies and shimmer, on a 40+" HDTV, and then comparing that to FF on PS3 at 1080, the difference in terms of visible pixelation will be about as great as PS1 to PS2 (which quadrupled output resolution)

I think as generations go buy it will be smaller and smaller jumps in the graphics department although the computational power might be having the same upgrade as it has always had between generations. It is easiers to see the jump from 100 to 500 polys per character than from 1 to 5 millions pr whatever...

mckmas8808 said:
Why do you ask?

Because that FMV scene in FFX is something that will be very very tough to replicate in realtime for a long time, and looks/moves much better than that Heavenly Sword scene you posted. This is in no way to say that Heavenly Sword looks bad, the opposite in fact, but FFX FMV is just something else.

london-boy said:
Because that FMV scene in FFX is something that will be very very tough to replicate in realtime for a long time, and looks/moves much better than that Heavenly Sword scene you posted. This is in no way to say that Heavenly Sword looks bad, the opposite in fact, but FFX FMV is just something else.

Oh okay. No I haven't played it, but I watched someone play it and I've seen that scene before. You are 100% correct that, that scene will be very hard to duplicate. My point was only to the faces of the two ladies. I personally think that the face of the lady in HS during that closeup looks about the same if not a tad bit better than the 2" screenshot that I posted of the FFX CGI scene.

mckmas8808 said:
Oh okay. No I haven't played it, but I watched someone play it and I've seen that scene before. You are 100% correct that, that scene will be very hard to duplicate. My point was only to the faces of the two ladies. I personally think that the face of the lady in HS during that closeup looks about the same if not a tad bit better than the 2" screenshot that I posted of the FFX CGI scene.

I can safely say that as powerful PS3 will be and as good as HS will be, FFX FMV will be a PS4 kind of job. Obviously there will be people who can make something look as good as the FFX FMV's with good approximation. But things can get a bit crazy in those pre-rendered scenes.
And FMV obviously keeps getting better, i mean the FF12 FMV is just bloody amazing.

london-boy said:
And FMV obviously keeps getting better, i mean the FF12 FMV is just bloody amazing.

Yeah it's not even fair with what Square is doing with their FMV in Final Fantasy 12. It really incredible. It's by far the best CG in any console game. I matches World of Warcraft as 2 of the best CG scenes in history imo.

Huzzah!

My updated impressions PS3 visuals and everything later.. But I did make these examples almost two years ago!

I personally don't see why any of those pictures are impossible. Considering how much power is under the hood of the PS3 and how long developers will have to squeeze every drop out of it over the next 7 years I see games hitting that level of quality by late 2008 or so. Unlike in the PC world where game developers only get 1 real shot at an architecture, in the console world developers get numerous goes at the architecture, sometimes 9-10 go arounds.

We'll see. But with Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, FFVII Tech, I-8, The Getaway ( using only Cell ), etc. being confirmed real-time footage its hard to say thats completely impossible.

I'm pretty certain we will be seeing all the E3 games again in new footage at CES or the February Playstation Conference. Just look at UT2007 though, that game completely annihilates anything on the PS2 and is running on un-optimized PC code at 49FPS at the 720p resolution. Pretty impressive for un-optimized code running on unfinished development kits.

Back