Can this be the future of next-gen games?

Fafalada said:
That's a raytraced car pasted into a real photograph.

Oh well I didn't know that, but it doesn't look that great to me, might be due to that small picture, on that note I must say that I don't like the way these pics are being compared. Taking just one picture of CGI it's kind of like taking it out of context. Pictures can lie.

Why not? If they can somehow fake the hair in the third FFX shot, other parts can be done more photorealistic in realtime PS3.

Heck, Alfred Molina shows even tears in his eyes!
Alfred Molina was a single animated head placed inside a box. Not one of several whole characters animated and moving around in a modeled environment with god knows how many effects and little details applied throughout.

While the polycounts are way out of reach, you could at least begin to approach that kind of image quality now that you have a GPU that can properly blend 8-bit alpha and do per-pixel effects. Doing it in gameplay is still a bit of a reach. At the very least, the PS2 screensnap is representative of the models during a cinematic, while the in-game models were far below those.

ShootMyMonkey said:
While the polycounts are way out of reach, you could at least begin to approach that kind of image quality now that you have a GPU that can properly blend 8-bit alpha and do per-pixel effects. Doing it in gameplay is still a bit of a reach. At the very least, the PS2 screensnap is representative of the models during a cinematic, while the in-game models were far below those.

Well the cinematic will always have an advantage to in-game models even if they use the same amount of polys and AA correct? I mean close-up shots and dynamic camera angles will always beat what gamers will see in-game.

But yeah I agree with your post.

final-fantasy-ps3-20050519082736180.jpg

If a early PS3 dev kit can produce this at E3 '05, who knows what kind of visuals PS3 developers will bring out in the future. ;)

BTOA said:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/617/617554/final-fantasy-ps3-20050519082736180.jpg
If a early PS3 dev kit can produce this at E3 '05, who knows what kind of visuals PS3 developers will bring out in the future. ;)

Inst that made in Cell alone?

BTOA said:

I don't think enough people here respect that picture as much as we should. That level of graphics on an Alpha kit that only took 6 to 8 weeks to create. That alone should show us what's ahead for us in this next-gen timeframe.

Question for DeanoC or nAo. Do you think that closeup of the main character will still be doable in real-time?

This pic
HeavenlySword_2.sized.jpg

To me personally this pic (not counting the hair) looks better than the FFX CGI screenshot.

mckmas8808 said:
I wanted to ask you guys do you see the PS3 or Xbox 360 being able to produce what some guy named Paul estimated actually happening?
PS3_ACE_DIAGRAM_FINAL.jpg

ps3_tekken_diagram_copy.jpg

Ps3_FF_diagram_copy.jpg

ps3_GT_diagram.jpg

To me it seems feasible, but what do you think?
After seeing a lot of crazy stuff... yes, easily!

Alstrong said:
Dean mentioned that the close-up was CG.

Yeah but I think he also said that it was CG because they didn't have time or didn't have the tools or something to do it right so they just did it in CG. But I also think he said that they were going to do it in real-time. But I'm not 100% sure if I read that correctly hence why I asked if they are still trying (if even) to do that closeup in real-time.

i dont know about you guy but the difference between the ps1 and ps2 is enormous and i think the people involve in the evolution deserve a round of applaud.From this gen to the next gen i cant see a bigger leap than the ps1 to ps2.

Unfortunately we can only be in the realm of possibility rather than certainty. I think by the end of the gen we will be treated to very nice visuals from all next gen consoles. Except maybe the Revolution, however I think we are going to be impressed with the Revolution. Time will tell, but as for now I think it is probable. I think the best response you will get is from developers in the field. All we can do is guess or hope they will look that good. I think it is safe to say the car picture has been achieved with PGR3.

ManuVlad3.0 said:

Even more impressive the first is sub-30fps, the second 30fps(I think ps2 mgs cutscenes are said to be 30fps), and the last is said to be 60fps on non-final h/w:oops:

As for the Heavenly Sword face, I think it's supposed to be realtime assets used in CG due to not having the realtime facial animation working fully at that time.

ShootMyMonkey said:
Alfred Molina was a single animated head placed inside a box. Not one of several whole characters animated and moving around in a modeled environment with god knows how many effects and little details applied throughout.

And the assets used in that demo were derived from a movie VFX model, thus creating them would probably cost almost as much as creating half the characters for a complete next-gen game... It is unlikely that so much work would be put into game characters built from the ground up.
Movie tie-ins, however, could benefit even more from the VFX studios' assets.

zidane1strife said:
As for the Heavenly Sword face, I think it's supposed to be realtime assets used in CG due to not having the realtime facial animation working fully at that time.

See that's what I thought. I wanted DeanoC or nAo to confirm this (I kinda know you are right now that I think about it) and tell us how things are coming along with their real-time facial animation tools regarding this part of the game.

zidane1strife said:
Even more impressive the first is sub-30fps, the second 30fps(I think ps2 mgs cutscenes are said to be 30fps)
I seem to remember that most of the cutscenes I saw from MGS2 were 60FPS. Well, 50 really, since my PS2 is PAL, heh, but you know what I mean. ;)

The intro sequence wasn't, due to its immense complexity I suppose. A few of the others weren't either, but I believe that was said at the time to be for cinematic reasons rather than hardware restrictions.

Why not?
KILLZONE :devilish:

I think will be a big jump graphically, but physics/animation/AI will be things to watch out for.

Back