Business ramifications of piracy *spawn

Actualy ,the hack will be a good thing in the long term even for the paying customers.
The Sony will have to left the console-centric content delivery,and have to go for the account based one.
That will make a diference:)
The only one reason why I didn't brought anything from the PSN is the stupid three activation rule.

What is the 3 activation rule?

It wont necessarily be a good thing because either multiple people will start using the same account which is like piracy, or they will follow a "MS" like approach which makes it difficult to have multiple machines running the same content on the same account simultaneously.

The only one reason why I didn't brought anything from the PSN is the stupid three activation rule.
You mean the 5 activation rule that allows you to have your content on 5 concurrent PS3s, which you can delete and redownload at will? I can't say that's a serious problem except for dying PS3's taking activations with you, and Sony need to offer a phone-in total revocation option.

You mean the 5 activation rule that allows you to have your content on 5 concurrent PS3s, which you can delete and redownload at will? I can't say that's a serious problem except for dying PS3's taking activations with you, and Sony need to offer a phone-in total revocation option.

For XBL games, the console in which you brought it is activated regardless whoever logs in (or even not connected to live). However, the live account that purchased the game can freely move to any connected xbox and have it activated (while signed in). And they are now letting you move those games over to a new xbox once a year, i think.

Though, I like the idea of multiple activations of Sony, also. :D Can't we get the best of both?

For XBL games, the console in which you brought it is activated regardless whoever logs in (or even not connected to live).
That's true of PS3 too. Every game on a PS3, irrespective of account, is available to every other account, barring parental controls I imagine. And the ability to share content with friends this way had its own copyright exploitation arguments back in the day, as several people can play the same game simultaneously with only one of them buying it. In that respect you could be looknig at 1/3 the players of a PSN network title, like Undead Nations, actually paying for it, and the rest playing it for free. PSN titles seem to be doing okay. At least, developers keep releasing to it, so they must be making enough money somehow, suggesting game sharing isn't anything like as costly. Taht's the same query over pirating, how much real affect does it have, versus hyporethical worst-case scenarios.

That's true of PS3 too. Every game on a PS3, irrespective of account, is available to every other account, barring parental controls I imagine. And the ability to share content with friends this way had its own copyright exploitation arguments back in the day, as several people can play the same game simultaneously with only one of them buying it. In that respect you could be looknig at 1/3 the players of a PSN network title, like Undead Nations, actually paying for it, and the rest playing it for free. PSN titles seem to be doing okay. At least, developers keep releasing to it, so they must be making enough money somehow, suggesting game sharing isn't anything like as costly. Taht's the same query over pirating, how much real affect does it have, versus hyporethical worst-case scenarios.

Yes, unfortunately for MS, this is only true for the console it was first purchased on.

I rather they give 5 activations, plus whenever you're signed in. :)

Back