Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Ask many of the PC gamers here who still console game if graphic is the only reason why they purchase consoles. Software exclusivity matters and is an area where MS can invest and minimize Sony's hardware advantage.

If MS can grab 2-3 key third party exclusives and manage to produce a couple of must have first party franchises, it could have positive impact among hardcore and core gamers.

Well, they have already secured the most important exclusive, COD. People tend to discount the effect of a timed-exclusives but in certain cases it can be very powerful. If COD is the primary reason that you buy a console, then you really only have 1 choice, Xbox one.

MS said they spent 5 billion transistors on processing, including 1.5 billion on ESRAM by my back of the calculator reasoning (32 MB x 8 bit x 6 T per bit). I probably over-estimated the difference in chip sizes. Caught up in internet talk and not checking stuff for myself. ;)

:D Ok so all that considered where does that leave us on the relative BOMs in your mind?

I still think XB1 is notably more expensive, $50 at least. Kinect 2 can't be cheap. The cost of silicon may be wash with increased GDDR5 price, but that should drop faster than die shrink savings.

I still think XB1 is notably more expensive, $50 at least. Kinect 2 can't be cheap. The cost of silicon may be wash with increased GDDR5 price, but that should drop faster than die shrink savings.

Why do you think the PS4 has much less silicon than XB1? XB1 has 50-60 mm^2 worth of SRAM, the PS4 has 6 CUs more (the difference between a Pitcairn and a Bonaire is 50mm^2). I'd expect the size of the two APUs to be within 10% of each other.

I also can't see why GDDR5 should drop faster in price than any other silicon (in fact I expect the opposite)

Wrt. Kinect 2, everybody seem to be developing TOF sensors: STM, Samsung and Ti all have efforts ongoing. Resolution seems to be QVGA, but the target market is cell phones so they'll be super cheap. I'd expect K2 to be cheaper than Kinect, if not at launch, then within a year. It has one sensor less, no motor+control and should require less processing of the depth buffer. The Shape processor adds cost though.

Then there is power consumption, XB1 looks like a 100-120W device, PS4 will be at least 160W, that's more money spent on cooling, VRs and power brick.

Cheers

Well, it doesn't have a motor anymore. :) A lot goes into a $150 retail price though and I have no idea what MS' costs were for it, only that they felt they could charge $150. Consumers have been conditioned for gaming consoles to to cost $399 (or $499, $599) because over time they've been calibrated as such. For MS to be able to sell this box for over $400, they need to convince people that it gives up nothing in terms of gaming, which we know isn't the case.
While the single input machine is something that interests me, its CLEARLY a luxurious nice-to-have for vast majority of people who spend less than a few hours a day sitting in front of the TV.

Yeah, motors aren't cheap. ;) I get what you're saying. You're belief is that higher premium(if it's over $400) needs to be backed up. For gamers, we will see at E3 how they plan to justify that. As for casuals, I think they already have shown enough to determine it's worth for them. Will be an interesting E3 for sure.

Tommy McClain

You are much more knowledgeable than I am, but there is something that I find interesting : What we witnessed yesterday, unless I'm mistaken, is the crystallization of almost everything that was pointed out in that famous Yukon document. From them expecting Sony to have the edge in tech to the gradual move towards cloud based gaming. In that document, it is suggested that their approach would be to sell at a lower entry price than their direct competitor. I wanted to have your comments on that... :smile:

Would this be the appropriate place to voice some concerns over MS rumoured used games treatment and ask some opinions?

I think the success of the Xbox One depends on how the average gamer on the street responds to the console, and whether or not they can capture a good proportion of the Wii owners out there. I think Microsoft's strategy is to make the system as relevant and accessible as they possibly can, so to anticipate their success we really need to think about how the casual/casual core gamers are going to respond. Things like not needing to swap discs are likely a better trade-off than not requiring an internet connection because the inconvenience of not having an internet connection is outweighed by the ability to play whatever you want whenever you want to without hassle.

I think we need to put ourselves in the perspective of people who do not want to hear foul language, don't want to get stomped when they play online by far superior opponents and who want to get into games as easily as possible. If they can get these things right as well as capture attention with the ease of use from Kinect + related casual experiences they might just take the majority of the market.

It better not be mandatory. Or heads will roll. :devilish:

If its not mandatory then it must not add any intrinsic value to the day to day operation of the console. If it doesn't do that, why bundle it? Its not like it can provide Kinect feature parity on multi-platform titles. (at least from what we have seen of its tech so far, compared to the new Kinect)

Sony's better off going all in on mandatory PSEye integration or put the money in the bank, or take it off MSRP.

I'm sure it can replicate most of Kinect's features.

I think approximate is a better way to put it but to be fair we haven't heard everything about it yet. It just doesn't appear that the sensor hardware, software, and supporting silicon budget is nearly as robust.

No doubt. I think if Sony can approximate most of the functionality they're good to go in terms of checking off that checkbox of features to get their multiplat waggle support. I mean, what we saw at yesterday's demo in terms of gesture control is ground level camera tracking stuff. If they've got that I don't think they have much to worry about. Two el cheapo camera lenses + clever software should do the trick.

You'd be surprised with what they can do with a dual lens setup. If it can't do even do that hand swipe to move screen and expand the window shit Dr. Richard Marks should find a new friggen job.

Back