Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, May 21, 2013.

1. Tap In

Legend

yep bundle the hottest new game of next gen...in NA (US?) as predicted. so yes, first NA bundle is like a $60 price drop =$440.

2. Rangers

Legend

It's not REALLY a price drop though. A real $60 price drop would stimulate sales much more, and be a much bigger deal.

By that logic those two free games pack ins Sony/MS do every holiday mean their consoles cost just $150 :roll:

If you were already certain to buy Titanfall, and didn't have an Xbox One yet but were planning to get one soon, it's effectively a $60 drop. Yet it still just doesn't have the same psychological effect imo, even if you do fall in that camp.

Pack ins are never a substitute for a real price cut they are more like icing on the cake, or what to try in lieu of an actual cut in the interim, etc. They are not nearly as expensive to the platform holder as well of course.

3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah, I can't read tables unless they are SQL queries. :-/

4. -tkf-

Legend

I think this is great move by Microsoft, they are burning money, but with brains, sure it's a $60 game but it's essentially a multiplayer game, and that costs money to play. So they may be giving away the game but in the end the players will have to pay to get their fix..

Still waiting for some clearance on the whole region locked thing.

5. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Agreed. A part of that $60 dollars goes to MS anyways when you account for their licensing and retailer fee (isn't it a DD). And if you want to play TF for anything longer than 30 days you have to become a Gold member.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS made TF bundle the standard sku. They would get far better pricing from EA for doing so as TF would then represent an ongoing revenue stream and for MS, the sku would probably encourage a higher attachment of Gold versus the current standard sku. Under such circumstances, for every person that buys a TF bundle and a year of Gold for $59.99, that investment for MS might not be lossy at all.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Most. Boring. Gen. EVAR!!

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1830865&postcount=1310

7. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I was looking at the GDEX score at Gametrailers and for some reason the PS4 score has fallen while the XB1 score has risen. For the last 3-4 days the XB1 was above the PS4 while it was the opposite before. Some news must have contributed to this change. The question is what

8. temesgen

Veteran Regular

I see XB1 with higher GDEX score than PS4 all the time, I'm not sure how they calculate it though because even with XB1 has a higher score, PS4 has a more than double the tweets and more social mentions...

9. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

The GDEX score is based primarily on mentions in social media, but how an individual mention is scored will depend on that mention's 'influence' (the number of followers) and they also try and determine the context, so negative mentions will score lower than positive mentions. Of course the latter part is tricky, Twitter in particular where you have to be economical with language, is hard to read, as is sarcasm.

But in terms of how much a particular game or platform is being talked about, it's as fairly reliable. If would be better if they showed the raw data, e.g. x number of people talking about Titanfall, there's no sense of the margin of error introduced by weighting and ranking factors.

10. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Dev on C4 Engine’s PS4 Exclusivity: Microsoft Never Responded With Slightest Bit of Professionalism

The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are going to have a great 2014, but Sony is a clear number one in the continuing console "war."

So, how does MS start resolving these PR nightmares and stories of poor performance?

11. RudeCurve

Banned

C4 engine looks pretty lame so why should MS care?

12. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

Because the fact it's the C4 engine is not the point, it's the sentiment and collateral negative PR that this carries. MS should be very worried if there are developers out there who are saying this stuff which MS isn't denying and by not doing so is basically saying it's all true.

13. mosen

Regular

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Based on quick googling, yes, C4 Engine only supports OpenGL

15. Sonic

Sonic Senior Member
    Veteran

Nah. It sounds like this guy isn't used to the way MS does business and calls it unprofessional. If other devs stepped up and started saying the same things then there may be a cause for negativity. Was his engine used in any 360 games or was it exclusive to PS3? How long has this guy been doing business with Sony? I'm not trying to discredit him in any sense, especially given his credentials. I'd like to see other developer comments on their relations with both MS and Sony.

16. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Hilarious.

The c4 engine was exclusive to the ps3 too, which I guess was a must since I am sure Sony would of questioned the ideal of an ice team engineer taking on a business endeavor of porting a graphics engine to the 360.

#4416 dobwal, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  17. zed

zed
    Veteran

see other dev's speak on www.gamasutra.com I take it you dont read that site?

18. Sonic

Sonic Senior Member
    Veteran

I haven't followed gamasutra in a long time, guess I should take a look.

19. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

So I had to go the C4 engine wikipedia page to see why I would care:

And that answered that question.

(Just for the rest of you idiots like me who never heard of the C4 engine, who makes it, what games it was used in, etc..)

20. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I already knew I didn't care but thanks for confirming.