Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Cuz they want to protect retail sales too.

And see how many people will bite out of laziness, the way people go for PPV.

isagree. I think they have the better next gen exclusive games lineup so far easily, probably not too many on either side would dispute that.
donno, checking wikipedia for yet unreleased USA 2014 games
only counting exclusive games and partly exclusive games (i.e also avail on other platforms but not on other companies competing console)

xbone
partly exclusives
Titanfall (win/360)
Fantasia: Music Evolved (360)
Nutjitsu (win)
Super Time Force (timed)

true exclusives
Kinect Sports Rivals

PS4
partly exclusives
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (win/mac/vita/linux)
Blast 'Em Bunnies (vita/3ds)
CounterSpy (vita/tablets)
Diablo III (360/ps3/win)
Galak-Z: The Dimensional (win)
Guilty Gear Xrd (ps3/arcade)
Guns of Icarus Online (win/mac/linux)
Helldivers (ps3/vita)
Hohokum (ps3/vita)
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (win/linux/mac/vita)
Mercenary Kings (win)
Natural Doctrine (ps3/vita)
Pavilion (vita)
QuickDraw (win/max/ps3)
Rogue Legacy (win/mac/ps3/vita)
Sportsfriends (win/mac/linux/ps3/vita)
Transistor (win/mac/linux)
Outlast (win)
MLB 14: The Show (ps3/vita)

true exclusives
Driveclub
The Idolmaster
Lily Bergamo
N++
The Order: 1886
Ready to Run
Secret Ponchos
Velocity 2X
Basement Crawl
Infamous: Second Son

Your point #2 is not valid. Almost all early adopters buy new products at a higher price than the people who buy them later.
I already mentioned that earlier, but even then that's looking at the ideal case of people who have owned the product for months. The people complaining are the ones who bought their new toy a week or two ago, and would happily have waited two weeks for the same product and experience for a £50 saving. There's no getting round the issue of fairness when two people can get the same product/service within a matter of days at significantly different prices for random reasons - that's unfair and humans (and other primates) actually have an intrinsic sensitivity to fairness. It grates people when it's a price drop, or when it's regional price hiking*, or when they missed a deal. But it's also no bigger and people get over it.

Shifty may I dare to ask you question?
What is your opinion about opening a thread about MSFT business plan mid term and at large.
I wonder if:
1) it would interest people here
2) it would belong to the console forum

I will further explain, MSFT just cut the licenses fee on Windows 8.1 for cheap devices by 70%.
I just happen to read that on this very forum. It seems to me that MSFT acknowledge the need for a lower overhead API, not only on vanilla WIndows 8 but all the Windows family of products.

I think both decisions have far reaching implications and show a strong commitment from MSFT to act as a "whole" and to do what it takes to succeed. Cutting 70% of Windows 8 licensing fees on cheap devices is a move of a greater scales than to subsidize or not subsidize say a console.

It is not really Xbox related though it might have implication on the living room if not now mid term.
What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty would you buy a product that has "aged", that has become obsolete or ineffective, for the same price as day one or you expect, demand, to pay less for it?
Also what about the "makers" of the product? Is it fair that they are given less for the same product for random reasons?

Shifty may I dare to ask you question?
What is your opinion about opening a thread about are MSFT business plan mid term and at large.
Sure.

Shifty would you buy a product that has "aged", that has become obsolete or ineffective, for the same price as day one or you expect, demand, to pay less for it?
Depends on the market. Some obsolete products increase in value. some go down. When a product is brand new and not obsolete, I certainly would prefer to pay less than more.

Now I ask you a question - do you care how much you spend on things, or do you merrily throw money around without any regard for the value you get for it? If you and a friends get into individual taxis at a station with all your drumkits, and you get charged $100 for the trip while your friend in the taxi behind you gets charged only $50 for the same journey, do you smile and say, "good for you!" or do you scowl at your departing taxi and mutter to yourself, "damn, that guy ripped my off!"?

Also what about the "makers" of the product? Is ti fair that they are given less for the same product for random reasons?
That's debatable, and not a debate I'd care to enter. The whole issue of whether free-market economics is fair or not is a doozy. The point I'm arguing is that people's response is natural and sensible and no-one should be complaining about people complaining that they have been charged a £50+ premium over a couple of weeks worth of bad timing. Likewise, if MS wants to complain how the new price is diddling them out of funds, they're entitled to complain (as long as they have something of a coherent argument - we don't like random complainers who don't make sense).

Complaints are just a subset of human communication - a negative critique with an emotional energy that corroborates their importance to the complainer. They're going to happen. Smile, nod, agree, disagree, and let people talk.

I care about how much I spend which is why, to use your Taxi example, I usually ask how much they charge per minute, or if there's an extra/hidden fee for the luggage BEFORE taking the ride.

I care about how much I spend which is why, to use your Taxi example, I usually ask how much they charge per minute, or if there's an extra/hidden fee for the luggage BEFORE taking the ride.
I was thinking a taxi rank where you just get in the first of the queue. But even then, if the info you're given isn't enough to make an informed choice, you'll still be miffed. Let's say you asked two taxis and you were told the price would probably be $100 for both, and it's only when you arrive and get out that you learn the other one was actually cheaper. "Dang, I should'a got in that other taxi!" is what most folk would think (depending on how much they like their friend :p).

If XB1 was £430 and everyone buying at that price, no-one would have any unpleasant surprises. If it was released at £430 and everyone was told it would drop to £400 in four months, everyone could make an informed decision as to what value was good for them, and there'd be no complaints. The issue here is that people were not provided with the information needed to make a choice, which sees them at a financial disadvantage to others.

Are we trying to rationalize why a 7% price drop is bad thing ?

Those early adopters got to enjoy four months of XB1 goodness for a mere £30 extra.

Bargain if you ask me.

Cheers

Are we trying to rationalize why a 7% price drop is bad thing ?
No. I'm rationalising why people saying they are disgruntled is perfectly acceptable, should be allowed, and is part of the communication between people necessary to understand the world, the people in, and potentially even try to broker a better set of situations that are more favourable to more people. (Basically, I'm championing free speech)

Those early adopters got to enjoy four months of XB1 goodness for a mere £30 extra.
What about those people who bought an XB1 the day before the announcement and preordered TF? They got a bargain and shouldn't be complaining? I'm pretty sure the first owners who have had £30 worth of extra play time with their machines aren't the ones complaining. It's disingenuous to assume everyone who is complaining hasn't got a legitimate reason to do so regards being at an unfair financial disadvantage.

The complaining definitely seems out of whack to anything I've seen with past consoles though relative to what's occurred. That's my issue. Pack in games springing up are normal and I dont specifically recall much if any complaining by those who "just missed out". Then you have the UK price cut thing, which is a very small localized cut. I guess if you want to play the rationalization claim you could point out it's a somewhat soon after launch situation for both, which I guess could be deemed to be treated with different unwritten rules, whatever those are.

I was thinking a taxi rank where you just get in the first of the queue. But even then, if the info you're given isn't enough to make an informed choice, you'll still be miffed. Let's say you asked two taxis and you were told the price would probably be $100 for both, and it's only when you arrive and get out that you learn the other one was actually cheaper. "Dang, I should'a got in that other taxi!" is what most folk would think (depending on how much they like their friend :p).

That would probably be my reaction but still it won't help me to get my money back.
To get my money back I would have to do more than just complain or yell at the taxi as it disappears in the traffic.

If XB1 was £430 and everyone buying at that price, no-one would have any unpleasant surprises. If it was released at £430 and everyone was told it would drop to £400 in four months, everyone could make an informed decision as to what value was good for them, and there'd be no complaints. The issue here is that people were not provided with the information needed to make a choice, which sees them at a financial disadvantage to others.

Ok this is another story.
Now we will probably never know exactly when a product it's going to get a price cut since the seller it's not going provide us that information, for one reason or another, BUT a moderately clever customer knows that sooner or later there will inevitably be a price cut.
Armed with this knowledge the customer can decide to wait or take a risk and buy straight away.

Those that bought the Xbox One for £430 took the risk, probably because didn't expect a price drop so soon, but others decided to wait and see.
I surely sympathize with Xbox One early adopters but I also applaud the foresight and intelligence of those that waited.

The complaining definitely seems out of whack to anything I've seen with past consoles though relative to what's occurred.
I haven't ventured out into the intewebs to see the fallout for myself, so cannot comment beyond my position that people are entitled to grumble (but as I said earlier, only within reason of legitimate, rational complaint).

To get my money back I would have to do more than just complain or yell at the taxi as it disappears in the traffic.
Complaining in this case isn't about getting one's money back. It's just self expression. "Damn, MS stiffed me fifty bucks!" isn't particularly a cry to try and get recompensed, although if the company can be strong-armed into giving something back, the complainers will be pleased. It's just, "I'm miffed," a comment no different in importance to, "I like this game."

Ok this is another story.
Now we will probably never know exactly when a product it's going to get a price cut since the seller it's not going provide us that information, for one reason or another, BUT a moderately clever customer knows that sooner or later there will inevitably be a price cut.
Of course. And those complaining know that. But that's not, in most cases, going to stop someone feeling hard done if they lucked out. It's just a bit of bad luck. It's no big deal. People will grumble at missing out. It doesn't mean MS did wrong, or the system is broken, or anything. Maybe people will consider a change to how business is run. Maybe they won't. But that's independent of self expression. A comment by someone doesn't necessitate action. This really isn't a big a deal - the price drop isn't a big deal, the feedback isn't a big deal. It was going to happen, some people were going to be caught by it. The only point of note that is that the price drop happened quite early so expectations of when to wait were inaccurate. I'm sure some people buying recently weren't expecting a price-drop before late this year at the earliest, and so would be buying 'safely'.

^^^
I see what you mean now.
Though too much complaining can derail threads, and that is bad ;)

The PS4 Is Outselling the Xbox One Because It Appeals to 'Swing Gamers'

http://dealnews.com/features/The-PS...ecause-It-Appeals-to-Swing-Gamers/990561.html

Not surprisingly, 42% of Xbox 360 owners (that is, users who owned only an Xbox 360) opted for the Xbox One, while 51% of PlayStation 3 owners veered towards the PS4. The number one reason cited for why these shoppers purchased what they did? Brand loyalty (at 32% for Xbox 360 owners and 30% for PS3 owners).

Despite this expected result, there were notably a higher number of former Xbox 360 users who didn't purchase any new console yet, claiming that the price was too high and that they were waiting for a deal. (In fact, double the number of Xbox 360 users who didn't buy a new console cited price as an issue, compared to PS3 users who also didn't buy one.) It would seem then that PlayStation devotees are more financially prepared to jump into the next generation of gaming because of the lower retail price, whereas Xboxers are patiently waiting for a more affordable opportunity.

Interestingly, 44% of the 1,700+ respondents in our survey noted that they owned both the PS3 and Xbox 360. This is likely because those consoles have been around for so long and prices have dropped tantalizingly low in recent years. As such, this would suggest that almost half of console gamers are familiar with both platforms. And while they might still prefer one over the other, the competitor was not foreign to them, likely making it easier to "jump ship" if there was a good enough reason to do so.

Thus, we looked at how these "dual owners" behaved in the face of next-generation gaming, and as it turns out, a higher percentage opted for the PS4 vs the Xbox One. (35% vs. 23%; see the results above.) The number one reason for their selection? Specifications, perhaps latching onto the assertion that the PS4 has a better graphic output. Moreover, a slightly higher percentage of former Xbox 360 users made the switch to PS4 than the reverse; 8% of PS3 owners bought an Xbox One, while 14% of Xbox 360 users bought a PS4.

I already mentioned that earlier, but even then that's looking at the ideal case of people who have owned the product for months. The people complaining are the ones who bought their new toy a week or two ago, and would happily have waited two weeks for the same product and experience for a £50 saving. There's no getting round the issue of fairness when two people can get the same product/service within a matter of days at significantly different prices for random reasons - that's unfair and humans (and other primates) actually have an intrinsic sensitivity to fairness. It grates people when it's a price drop, or when it's regional price hiking*, or when they missed a deal. But it's also no bigger and people get over it.

Thats absolutely false. Most people are aware that the vast majority of products are available at different prices at any one instance (never mind different days) due to a host of variables.

The geographical location, the retailer, the type of retailer, promotional sales, relationship with the seller, volume of purchase and haggle skills can all affect what you pay for a product versus someone else. People aren't oblivious to that reality.

When people go holiday shopping, do you think they are under the impression that the price they pay for any product will remain relatively stable through out the season with no real chance of significant change? How many people do you think, write to retailers to complain about the unfairness of Black Friday prices due to the price they paid for a product before or after that day?

There are some people that might be upset when the console they just bought suddenly can be had for a cheaper price, but thats not normal across consumers. We don't see signs of consumers being upset on an annual basis due to console price cuts.

Humans have an intrinsic sensitivity to fairness when fairness is presented as a condition. However, across the board price cuts don't usually trigger that sensitivity.

Thats absolutely false. Most people are aware that the vast majority of products are available at different prices at any one instance (never mind different days) due to a host of variables.

The geographical location, the retailer, the type of retailer, promotional sales, relationship with the seller, volume of purchase and haggle skills can all affect what you pay for a product versus someone else. People aren't oblivious to that reality.
Every time a product comes out that's cheaper in the US than the UK/EU, there are a load of complainers, no? Every time US PSN+ gets a game the EU PS+ service doesn't, people complain, no (well they've stopped now because they've gotten used to it, but regional content differences still bug people)? What about the iPad 4 or whichever one it was that came out all of six months after the previous model? Did owners of the new, outdated model accept that quietly, or was there a lot of vocalisation from people who had no idea a new machine would be coming out so quickly and would have waited and bought the new design?

An expected price reduction, like a year or two after something's launched, or predictable events like Black Friday sales, are accounted by shoppers which is why they aren't annoyed. It shifts the choice more to them. An unexpected price drop is going to annoy those who get caught on the wrong side of it in most cases (you see that in product reviews on retailers, where someone states "great product, blah blah, only annoying that its had a £30 price drop since last week when I bought mine").

If two people go into a corner store and pick up the same Sunday newspaper and snack deal, and the first pays £5, and the next person is asked to pay only £1.50, you can be sure the guy who just paid £4 will ask, "Hey, I just had to pay £5. Why's he getting it cheaper?" And if the reply is, "There was a price drop came into effect at 3:00pm. You were a minute too early," I would bet money on him not saying, "Oh, okay. That's fair," and instead saying something like, "Don't be ridiculous! Give me the pound back. It's unfair that he should pay less than me for the sake of a few seconds."

Thats absolutely false

How can his opinion be false; based on rational data and common human emotions? :???:

Do you really think if MS announced during the XB1 launch/Christmas season that the system will be $50 dollars cheaper and come with a major exclusive like Titanfall within 3 months... that MS would still be able to move 3 million some systems by 2013 years end?

Of course not... many of the early adopters would have waited until mid-March on doing so. Since MS is feeling giving, why-not offer the early adopters a free copy of Titanfall along with a $50 credit towards anything on Live?

Maybe if MS reduced the XB1 price 8 months later, this would be a nonissue... but 3 months later after the launch, with a free exclusive, is a slap in the face, IMHO.

Would be much better for Xbone early adopters if MS kept the price high so that the platform suffered. That way even though their investment had less long term value to them, meaning they'd wasted money, at least, like, there wouldn't be other people enjoying the system having paid 7% less ... *sigh*.

This reminds me of all the people bitching when MS released a HDMI enabled 360. "What about me?? What are you going to do for me!?". Nothing, because your system still does exactly what it is supposed to do, and exactly what it did when you bought it. Just laugh it off.

I'm almost hesitant to bring this up for fear of yet again fixing on a semantic issue, but I think the use of the term fair and unfair indicates a sense of entitlement. I get the sense that there is a belief out there that the only way for the world to be fair is for everyone to be able to have anything anyone else has.

I don't have issue with people who recently bought the system being disappointed that they didn't wait another few weeks to take advantage of the new pricing. I do have an issue with the idea that MS (or any other company) is *obligated* to somehow compensate or consider customers who deemed the company's product or service to be worth a certain price at the time they bought it if the company then deems a price cut necessary at *any* time for *any* reason after the customers made their purchase. They provided a product at a price the customer was willing to pay. That's the contract. If they choose to adjust the product offered or the price it's offered at in order to incentivize additional customers to purchase the product has no bearing on them fulfilling their obligations to their prior customers.

Personally, if I had a XBOne I'd feel more hard done by if they were to eventually offer a Kinect-less SKU, as this would devalue that aspect of the package I bought (developers would be less likely to support it, system features would be less likely to be built around it) and would therefore meaningfully change the value proposition of that part of the package *for me*. By comparison, how would someone else getting the system + game cheaper change the value *to me* of the system I already own?

Back