Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, May 21, 2013.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

If they were looking desperate they would announce a price drop during the months after the E3.

A price drop is most likely to happen sooner than later. The console doesn't cost what most people expect from a console, that's the reality of things.

Even if a company like Sony or Microsoft announced a price drop during the Christmas, personally I wouldn't be upset as an early adopter because I paid a price that seemed fair to me and got the console before most people, which is a perk.

Take into account that here in Europe we are getting a game for free with the console. In many cases -if you pre-ordered the console at Game during the summer months- you get two games for free -I got Fifa 14 and Ryse-.

Other deals related to the reserves of the console feature a game and the second controller for free. At 500€ that doesn't sound that bad, not to mention the 2 years warranty just in case -although they said that the Xbox One was created to be capable of having the power turned on for 10 years, 24 hours a day-.

On a different note, the Xbox team has hired Jeff Rubenstein, which seems to be a logistics move.

http://majornelson.com/2013/11/12/welcome-jeff-rubenstein-to-the-xbox-team/

#3181 Cyan, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  2. dobwal

Legend Veteran

How does one accomplish a constrained supply while pricing themselves out the market.

"We can't make enough of these consoles that nobody wants!!!"

And given that very few here predicted the Wii with a user base of 100 million and a 360 with 80 million in unit sales. I think that if any group here is right about the success or failure of the Xbox one, it more happenstance then the ability to reliably understand the market.

3. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

I assume you're joking here, but just to clarify for others that might be confused:

MS needs the GMA and Today Show and Ellen press NOW, at launch. However, like every console that isn't based on 8 year old tech, it will be supply constrained. Additionally, the market that they are advertising to with GMA, etc aren't going to be interested in purchasing the console, no matter how neat they think it is, at $500.

No where did I say nobody wants the console. I said that they won't be able to make enough consoles even for those willing to buy it at $500, and for those "new comers" (which is what we were discussing) that might be gained through the early morning shows catering to housewives, won't be interested at $500. Not that they don't want it. They just won't purchase it at $500.

I hope that clears it up.

4. babybumb

Regular

If i were Sony i would ship 2M to NA and only 1M Europe this year.

That would put MS in an awkard position going to next year.. they need to convince quite a few influencers to buy a second console and not tell their associates to just get a PS4

5. blakjedi

Veteran

amazon.com still has PlayStation bundles still in stock when I last checked. starting around $639.

6. betan

Veteran

Which amazon official bundle is $639? A link would be nice.

7. blakjedi

Veteran

it was a launch edition and they had 10 of them. seems they're gone now :(

8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

9. patsu

Legend

If true, probably also for the IP before Apple launch their own. Intel is also working on something.

10. wco81

Legend

wow, imagine if they did something like this for a TV product.

MS and Apple have a cross-licensing deal so they haven't sued each other for patents.

But if Apple got a hit TV product using a motion sensor while the X1 doesn't sell beyond the console market, would MS take that lying down?

11. patsu

Legend

Oh stop rocking the freaking B3D boat. I don't know if we can survive the next 2 weeks.

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I think voice control is much more important than motion for the TV market, and that ship has already sailed with a number of voice controlled TVs and STB's already on the market.

13. dobwal

Legend Veteran

It doesn't help that your statements tend to be contradictory.

There always exists a limitation to production regardless if launch or not. For supplies to be constrained there has to exist an inability to meet demand.

And why are you going to state that MS needs GMA and Ellen if you are going to later conclude that the housewives that watch these shows aren't going to be interested in the Xbox One at $500.

You don't go to show off wares at shows like these just to convince new comers to buy your products. You go to shows like these because women have significant control over household spending in the US and a play a major factor in a lot of CE purchases (there are even studies that state women make the majority of consumer electronic purchases as of 2012-2013). MS and others show off wares on these shows with the belief that mom or wife might be easier to convince if vendors are able to create a positive impression with these female purse string holders.

Furthermore, who do you think does the majority of the gift shopping during the holidays?

14. warb

Veteran

It hasn't sailed very far. It will probably sail further on the Xboat.

15. dobwal

Legend Veteran

I think you are right.

I think Siri is what Apple has planned for TVs and is basically using the iphone as a incubator to generate data to make it robust enough for TV use.

There is nothing simplier than voice in terms of a user interface. Its impracticality has always being its never been robust enough to be a primary interface.

16. blakjedi

Veteran

I remember reading a story on the development of Kinect 2. MS doesn't use the technology of that company in Kinect2

17. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Paul Thurrott (in a bit of a "the swan song of the gaming consoles" piece) have restated the prediction of an upcoming game-less Xbox.

What I find curious is the unqualified success prediction. It's not as if that market is devoid of competition either (it's nose-bleedingly crowded), so some people are obviously bullish on those qualities of the system.

18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That makes a lot of sense to me as I've described in the Xbox thread. A gameless Kinect CE device at a much lower price can reach a far wider market. Although that, of course, is not going to be an Xbox console. ;)

If it costs half the price and appeals to a larger segment, it'll outsell the console. That's a pretty natural conclusion. They only way that couldn't be true is if interest in the entertainment features was very low and the reason to buy XB1 was the gaming aspect as well or exclusively. If the entertainment features have significant value, they'll be wanted by a large segment of the populace at a lower price which is what a standalone box will provide. That'd explain why reaching TV audiences is important for launch. Show Joe Consumer this fabulous next-gen CE interface. Have them wanting it but not willing to spend $500 on it. Sell $500 consoles to Joe Gamer. Release a CE device and suddenly Joe Consumer can have $500 worth of CE entertainment device for $200. That pent up desire you've established will be coupled with an apparent bargain and help explode demand.

19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Exactly

20. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

Well, we saw that coming, the sad thing as gamers, is that the cheap gaming console is not coming, or the powerfull one, for that matter.

In other words, whoever wants to play with XO has to pay for the burden of that XBTV, and it´s not cheap