Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Not to break up the current debate or go versus but, I find myself wishing MS had a FPS coming soon just so I could compare it to Shadowfall and get a better idea where the two systems stand powerwise.

I mean MS has DR3, Ryse, they'll have BF4 etc but none of those are an exclusive FPS.

I'm sure Halo media will be coming in what, 2014, but there's nothing now.

Edit: well I guess there is Titanfall, but it's MP only which tends to dull gfx, and also not really exclusive (on PC, will likely be on PS4 eventually).

Halo, Gears, Titan Fall, etc for Microsoft all have great production values, but without sacrificing gameplay for presentation or going for that 'filmic appeal'.

That might have been true for old Bungie Halo titles. I couldn't find any gameplay in Halo 4 by 343 Industries but the presentation and "filmic appeal" was definitely there.

Not to break up the current debate or go versus but, I find myself wishing MS had a FPS coming soon just so I could compare it to Shadowfall and get a better idea where the two systems stand powerwise.

I mean MS has DR3, Ryse, they'll have BF4 etc but none of those are an exclusive FPS.

I'm sure Halo media will be coming in what, 2014, but there's nothing now.

Edit: well I guess there is Titanfall, but it's MP only which tends to dull gfx, and also not really exclusive (on PC, will likely be on PS4 eventually).

I actually have pretty high expectations for DR3; it looks like it could be a really good game. Titanfall too will likely be a very good game, I don't think either platform will be wanting for FPS.

Both systems are within 25% powerwise IMO. Probably a bigger difference than PS3/360, but smallter than Xbox/PS2.

Sony has amazing games coming, guaranteed. MS has more at launch though. It would be very hard to argue otherwise IMO.

Sony has enough for launch though. They'll sell every system they can make this year.

Ars Technica made some pretty graphs of all announced and launch games for PS4 and XB One:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/by-the-numbers-next-generation-console-software-showdown/

Sony announced more games, but it certainly doesn't launch with more.

Both consoles have only 1/3 of their games as shared multi-platform, I thought it would be the other way around. I really wish I could find a similar graph for last gen, I don't remember having so many games for launch, not even close.

ngchart1-640x480.png

ngchart31-640x480.png

ngchart4-640x356.png

List wars! :D. IMO the launch games really aren't a big part of the console's life. As long as there's enough that those who want to buy the console don't delay or swap platform because there are no games available, it's good enough. I'm used to consoles launching with large "150+ games in development" headlines only for little of those titles to ever materialise. The real concern is whether your platform gets a constant flow of quality games through its life, especially first year while it's getting established. If there's a dearth of good software by the 2nd Christmas, it's time to worry.

Unless something untoward happens, both PS4 and XB1 will be getting rich software libraries their whole lives, so software line-up can be generally taken as 'good' depending on one's particular tastes irrespective of the first few weeks. But importantly this gen, both consoles are starting on a stronger-than-ever footing. It's not like previous consoles with a handful of games of which two were any particular good.

They did, more than once.

Im talking completely. On consoles I consider full games vastly more important than small indie titles. I rather see the breakdown of genres and original ips of just full titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im talking completely. On consoles I consider full games vastly more important than small indie titles. I rather see the breakdown of genres and original ips of just full titles.
Then ignore those parts of the graphics. To the rest of us, a game is a game, and being told all the games available is important to getting a full picture of both consoles. Otherwise one may as well start releasing infographics that exclude motion games or platformers because some people don't like them.

List wars! :D. IMO the launch games really aren't a big part of the console's life. As long as there's enough that those who want to buy the console don't delay or swap platform because there are no games available, it's good enough.

Yup. I remember when the PS3 launched in Europe, I survived for the first month with Motorstorm, Virtual Fighter, Flow and Super Stardust as my staple games until Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion launched and ate about four months of life. But the first year was thin pickings and it would have been worse for Japan and USA where it launched four months prior.

With the PS4 I'm worried about not having enough time to get through Killzone, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, before Infamous Second Son launches. For me, these are all solid games that I'm really looking forward too. That they all come in such a small window just feels insane.

Of course many PS4 owners, myself included, are still obsessing over the non-announce stuff. Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica. The 8,000lb elephants in the room.

Here's hoping for news at TGS.

I agree but that's not to say I've not sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours in titles like Flow, Super Stardust, Flower and Calling all Cars. Not indie per se, but trying to deliver the same type of experience.

Yup. I remember when the PS3 launched in Europe, I survived for the first month with Motorstorm, Virtual Fighter, Flow and Super Stardust as my staple games until Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion launched and ate about four months of life. But the first year was thin pickings and it would have been worse for Japan and USA where it launched four months prior.

With the PS4 I'm worried about not having enough time to get through Killzone, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, before Infamous Second Son launches. For me, these are all solid games that I'm really looking forward too. That they all come in such a small window just feels insane.

Of course many PS4 owners, myself included, are still obsessing over the non-announce stuff. Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica. The 8,000lb elephants in the room.

Here's hoping for news at TGS.

My first titles was all blu-ray movies , and the gt5 demo. Ohh and first psn purchase was calling all cars if I remember correctly, if I ignore the bluray movies it was very thin pickings indeed..

Back