BTX - A bad thing?

They have cases that flip the whole pc upside down so your cpu is at the middle of the case. IT cools better than a full tower case .

Yes heat does not rise. But hot air does .

What happens with the graphics card is you normaly blow air at the chip and then the air has no where to go.

To its left is a the back of the case with pci covers on thus no where to escape and to the right is where whatever little air from your intake fan is hitting by you.

That is why the vga silencer works so well. It dumps the air out of the case .

Imagine if you had stead air flow coming rigth at the vga silencer.

VGA silencer with stready stream of air? Well, I was thinking of drilling a hole in the side of my case and adding a fan, now I know where to put one.(or I could put one by the cpu and the vga silencer)

VGA silencer is a very weak fan though, speed that thing up to 5000 rpm and I bet it would cool even better.

Fox5 said:
VGA silencer with stready stream of air? Well, I was thinking of drilling a hole in the side of my case and adding a fan, now I know where to put one.(or I could put one by the cpu and the vga silencer)

VGA silencer is a very weak fan though, speed that thing up to 5000 rpm and I bet it would cool even better.

See but this is all adding on .

You have to drill a hole in it ?

Btx is set up for that with out drilling new holes .

Then wait till antec and other companys get a hold of it and watch what happens to the boxes . You will fall in love with them.

I remember the old school atx case

Quitch said:
Wouldn't really live up to its name then though...

Call if the VGA Monster, I've already got a volcano 12 on my cpu and that thing is really loud. Besides, it's already silent, they could probably make it a little faster and it would still be silent from a distance.

BTW, BTX is set up to already have fan holes all over by standard? Because some ATX cases already do have side fans, I think most do.

Anyhow, I don't really care what the case is, next computer I get I have to replace everything anyhow, so the only things about intel that bug me are socket t and the heat of the prescotts.

Fox5 said:
AMD had the Tbirds and they got through that just fine. And remember slot type cpus?

The thunderbird and slot athlons did not have the same power draw as the current Athlon 64s, nor did they have some of the massive coolers now considered standard for current generation processors.

The TDP for the K8 at .13 micron is 89 watts, going on to .09, the TDP for the entire line is capped at a little over 100. While this is a power rating for the entire family and likely won't be reached until the very end, it will only take one additional generation at this rate to meet or exceed Prescott's power requirements. Apparently, about 115 watts exceeds standard air-cooled ATX designs, and .09 micron desktop chips are reaching levels of power density that air cooling can no longer guarantee adequate dissipation.

3dilettante said:
The thunderbird and slot athlons did not have the same power draw as the current Athlon 64s, nor did they have some of the massive coolers now considered standard for current generation processors.
I had s slot-A Athlon and now have an Athlon64. The slot-A Athlon had a larger heatsink than the A64 and it got quite a bit hotter under normal operation.
The TDP for the K8 at .13 micron is 89 watts, going on to .09, the TDP for the entire line is capped at a little over 100. While this is a power rating for the entire family and likely won't be reached until the very end, it will only take one additional generation at this rate to meet or exceed Prescott's power requirements. Apparently, about 115 watts exceeds standard air-cooled ATX designs, and .09 micron desktop chips are reaching levels of power density that air cooling can no longer guarantee adequate dissipation.
IIRC, AMD's 103W TDP for 0.09 micron is supposed to cover dual-core Opterons, which I presume will draw nearly twice as much power as any single-core solution.

I had s slot-A Athlon and now have an Athlon64. The slot-A Athlon had a larger heatsink than the A64 and it got quite a bit hotter under normal operation.
what heatsink was that ?

There are full copper heat pipe heatsinks for the athlon 64s that use 80mm fans . There is a new cooler for the athlon 64 that takes a 120mm fan and dawrfs it

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...D&Product_Code=1564&Category_Code=5.6

1564_big.jpg

seriously. Show me a slot a cooler that is nay where close to that .

jvd said:
what heatsink was that ?

There are full copper heat pipe heatsinks for the athlon 64s that use 80mm fans . There is a new cooler for the athlon 64 that takes a 120mm fan and dawrfs it

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...D&Product_Code=1564&Category_Code=5.6

1564_big.jpg

seriously. Show me a slot a cooler that is nay where close to that .

Stick to standard coolers, not after market please.

Anyhow, slot a had coolers? I thought it was a completely self contained unit....I remember my slot a athlon being this big long thing, with two fans on it.

cpu-kuehler-amd-athlon-slot-a-bild1.jpg

Looked like this.

that is a cooler that locked on. The sockets had a plastic front and a metal back .

As for after market that will come standard in alienware pcs soon. Unless you mean the ones that come in the package with chip.

IN that case they are still bigger and have copper inlays . Though i don't have any pics of the standard cooler

And some prebuilt pcs for Intel will be using water cooling, it still doesn't make it standard.

And the default athlon 64 heatsink is taller than the one in that picture, but not as wide and it doesn't have two fans.

Fox5 said:
And some prebuilt pcs for Intel will be using water cooling, it still doesn't make it standard.

And the default athlon 64 heatsink is taller than the one in that picture, but not as wide and it doesn't have two fans.
its also thicker and has a 80mm fan. Those are two 40mm fans next to each other

I would personaly set up a board like this .

Bottom front of the case the cpu goes there . 1 120 mm fan at the front blowing right at it .

going up the case comes your drivers .

Going deep into the case from the cpu goes your ram and in the back a 120 mm fan.

Above your ram your graphics card. Then going up your noraml pci cards .

That way the 3 things you'd want cool air coming at would have a nice wind tunnel created

Oh I suppose we could just use numbers, how much heat did slot a cpus generate, and how much heat do socket 754 cpus generate?

what does ATX, BTX stand for? or is it just a designation...?

I never understood all those years ago why they flipped the card over (chip/everything facing down) for PCI/AGP..... ISA has the card facing up.

:?:

Back