Brothers in Arms War Stories (DS).

Eteric

Newcomer
http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/ds/brothers_in_arms_ds/trailer.wmv

scr_018.jpg
scr_019.jpg
scr_023.jpg

If they can smooth out the frame rate a little bit, I might pick this up. Give this team a metal, I didn't even think that kind of stuff was possible on the DS.

That trailer looks pretty cool. The Opera browser that came out yesterday and this game finally pushed me to get a DS.

Wow, you have a lot of catching up to do, then! So many great games, so little money. :D

At least, that's my problem. I currently have about 18 or 19 games, though. :)

Dear God, if only I had that kind of money. :oops:

Make that 86, bought Brothers in Arms this evening. Impressions coming soon (spot 20 on my DS backlog :???: )... Regarding the money spent, I import most games from Canada (so it's much less expensive than the European prices), and a good deal of my games were gifts.

It's not out in the US until June 19th.

Btw, I wonder how Ubi is going to do Assassin's Creed on the DS. There's been no screens/media or much talk about it other than a few mentions of it being listed on ebgames, plus I think there was a brief mention of it in an interview with Jade.

Oke played the game for about 30 minutes and im pretty impressed by the gfx. You really have something of a war going on. You often have over 10 people on the screen all shooting and screaming and on top of that you got tanks barging in and even riding into buildings seeing the walls fall down. If that isnt impressive enough things also look pretty detailed and to top it off it even runs at a decent speed. Its defenitly not 30fps, more like 20 but its doesnt matter to much though 25 or 30fps wouldve been nicer.

However for me after that things go downhill. My biggest problem is that you just cant hold your DS in a comfortable way. You need the stylus to shoot so you have only 1 or 2 fingers left to hold up the DS on one side. You walk with the D pad and shoot with the L button. You really need to put your hand in a awkward position to reach all the buttons and you just cant hold up your DS comfortable that way. Though it isnt only BiA, Metroid had the exact same problem. After playing for a while my hands just start to hurt and you never feel comfortable.

Another thing that bothers me is aiming in the game. It seems the touchscreen isnt set sensetive enough and there isnt a sensetivity option wich I wouldve really like also because that mean you would have to move your stylus less to get around the world. Though this might also be caused by my dirty touchscreen wich has a screen protector on top of that.

In short: Visually very impressive, kinda like metroid but only with lots more things going on. Controlls? The DS button layout just isnt suited for these kind of games. Though a thumbstrap might make things more comfortable but your D-pad/trigger hand will still hurt after a while.

Here's a very favorable review of the game: http://ds-x2.com/games.php?id=1268&view=rev

These guys didn't seem to have any trouble with the controls, and I myself played Metroid very well with those controls. I guess the problem with the DS is that due to it's size, it doesn't work well for different size hands. I wonder if Nintendo could come up with some other solution to allow people to play FPS on the DS without the hassle. Or at least a solution that'll work for all hands.

Yeah it really seems you either love or hate the DS fps controlls. Though I've got relative small hands and short fingers so you'd think it would actually fit my hands better as I dont have to get my fingers into 6 different bends to get them on the buttons wich are close together. Though shorts fingers isnt that great either, cant really use the thumbstrap for instance as I got stupidly short thumbs (the one on my left hand is even worse, its like 5mm shorter than on my right. I guess being born not that long after Chernobyle left its scars with me growing in the womb ;)) and cant really reach the ends of the screen in a comfortable way.

I played a little bit yesterday evening. I had no problems with the controls or the aiming, but I loved the controls in Metroid Prime Hunters, and those in BIA are pretty close. tongue_of_colicab, do you have a DS Fat or a Lite ? I found the console heavy playing MPH with the DS Fat (had to play with the thumbstrap), but never had an issue with the Lite (I can play with the stylus for extended periods of time).

It's hard to believe this little handheld is pushing destructable enviorments with tanks and (around) 10 people on screen.

Props to Ubisoft.

Yes, I said it... Props to Ubisoft. :p Now if they'd only put as much effort into their Wii games. :)

Back