Brock Lesnar is the latest Heavy Hitter in the UFC

I wouldn't call it "asserting his will" either. That expression simply doesn't apply in either cited case. In fact, Sylvia as asserting his will against Nog quite nicely, who was eating a very high % of punches thrown his way.
Yeah right. :rolleyes:
If forcing your opponent to tap out for fear of getting choked unconscious or geting a broken limb isn't asserting your will, then I don't know what is.

Yeah right.
If forcing your opponent to tap out for fear of getting choked unconscious or geting a broken limb isn't asserting your will, then I don't know what is.

Asserting your will implies dominating your opponent throughout much of the fight, not making a mistake that results in a quick submission hold.

If all it took was a few seconds gap to put him off then he has no chance in UFC.

Maybe, and maybe not, but it also took just a few seconds for Nogueira to trap Sylvia too.

There's been many fights which have just turned after a beating has been handed out, so your comments are a bit harsh I think. Brock is still starting out, he does need to get more and better training, but there's no doubt that he'll get better. If you watched the 81 Countdown, you would've seen that he has a very high work rate and he's enthusiastic. First match against a former champion with high skill too. Not bad imo.

US

Asserting your will implies dominating your opponent throughout much of the fight, not making a mistake that results in a quick submission hold.
Which has zero value, unless it produces a KO, or a decision in your favour.
This is not boxing, K1, etc., a submission is the very definition of imposing
your will on your opponent, and simply saying it's down to "a mistake" is weak.

Are we really going to argue semantics now rather than the facts of the fight? Brock himself admitted he lost fair and square. Why cant the Lesnar fanboys do the same?

I just don't think I'd use the expression of imposing will on a tactical mistake. Imposing will means dominating your opponent in my mind, not winning because your opponent made a journeyman mistake and let himself get submitted.

I'm also not a Lesnar fanboy. I'd never heard of the guy before he was put on this card. I just don't think Mir imposed his will on him is a proper usage of the expression. If that makes me a deluded fanboy, so be it.

Only in your deluded mind. What I said was quite specific. Submissions are the imposition of will BJJ practitioners will. How do you suppose someone submits a guy for the duration of the fight to fit your definition? lol

And you seem to be of mind that BJJ practioners always gets their man with a submission while being beaten to a pulp. Shame, poor deluded boy.

Have u ever watched the BJ Penn/Matt Hughes(do you know Hughes was a wrestler?) Sept. 2006 UFC 63 fight in which Penn dominated the first two rounds with his BJJ and yet Hughes outlasted him to beat him in the third. Never mind what Hughes did to Royce Gracie.

Yes, it takes luck sometimes and yes other times it is skill. But take this senario, if Brock was able to remove his leg as soon as he realised that Mir was going for it, do you think it would've ended with Mir still winning. You know what, I say no, Brock would've got wiser and would've still dominated Mir. So yes, I say it was luck on Mir's side. You say differently and ultimately u are right since Mir won. I would still love to have seen what could've happened. It's a moot point though.

Same thing with Nog, i mean, even in his very first UFC match(78/79 can't remember) the guy got him smack on the head with a head kick but didn't chase Nog down. If that was Sylvia, it's would've been gameover, no doubt.

So does Nog impress me? No, honestly. He has huge heart yes but he has got flaws. If he fought Randy Couture, my feeling is Randy would lay the smackdown on him.

Also, call me a fanboy if you want. All I really care about is a good fight, and with Mir's skills he should've really not taken the beating he was getting.

US

Last edited by a moderator:
Mir also was in a bad spot against Lesnar, but managed to turn the tide quite soon into the match. Lesnar needs more practice and skilled Jiujitsu opponent was probably the worst kind of match up for him in his UFC debut. Against Sylvia he would have probably faired quite well, although Sylvia is sligthly under appreciated.
I think it was the best match up for him. This is the sort of lesson that lets him know that he can be great, but losing will motivate him to learn the intricacies of MMA.

Definately agree with you and John that Lesnar-Sylvia would be fun to watch.

And you seem to be of mind that BJJ practioners always gets their man with a submission while being beaten to a pulp.
First of all, nobody's saying BJJ is the omg ultimate unbeatable art.
So I dunno wtf you're talking about here.

Have u ever watched the BJ Penn/Matt Hughes(do you know Hughes was a wrestler?) Sept. 2006 UFC 63 fight in which Penn dominated the first two rounds with his BJJ and yet Hughes outlasted him to beat him in the third. Never mind what Hughes did to Royce Gracie.
Sure, wrestlers can win against a BJJ guy. Not too mention Muay Thai, Kempo, Karate, Sambo, Judo, etc practioners too. ;)
Sakuraba is a wrestler and he beat a bunch of Gracies years ago and Royce is far from being the best in BJJ, especially in 2006.

Same thing with Nog, i mean, even in his very first UFC match(78/79 can't remember) the guy got him smack on the head with a head kick but didn't chase Nog down.
Getting choked by Big Nog once was enough for him, Herring learned his lesson.

If that was Sylvia, it's would've been gameover, no doubt.
Gameover ? No doubt ? :LOL:

So does Nog impress me? No, honestly. He has huge heart yes but he has got flaws. If he fought Randy Couture, my feeling is Randy would lay the smackdown on him.
It would be a great close fight, and imo Nog would take it (minus the smackdown of course, just a lame ol' decision or a "lucky" submission).

I said nothing of the sort. You can try and put words in my mouth all you want, it wont change what I actually said, and it only makes you look the worse, not me.

Trust me I've seen almost every UFC since UFC 1, thats why I predicted Mir to win :p

I didn't put words in your mouth, read what I actually said.

US

Well, I watched UFC 82 last night (well some of it) and I had to laugh at the last fight.

I don't know who any of them are, but this Henderson guy was giving it the big "I am" and got his ass handed to him.

Now, if UFC could find a way to ban the foreplay that occurred during 90% of the first round, maybe UFC would be a must see event for me.

So, after 6 months in more MMA training, Brock Lesnar had his second UFC fight in UFC 87 .. wow!! 1st round, Brock totally dominates Heath Hearing. First punch and Hearing was already bleeding. You can see Brock taking his time as he was less eager to rush in and try finish the fight. Sending in huge fist strikes and knees strikes. Wow.

2nd round, much of the same, Brock all over Hearing. Same thing in the 3rd round, a bit less impressive for Brock but at the end of the day, Brock makes sure that the fight ends in his favour.

US

Lesnar did pretty good, but he was a bit unsportsmanlike in the end and I hope he drops that crap in the future.

GSP was amazing again. His take down defence is out of this world, and so is Fitch's chin :LOL:

Yea, my cousin sitting right next to me said, "I'm no longer a Lesnar fan," when Brock pulled that shit with seconds left on the clock. And Lesnar sucked. All he's doing is relying on his size and weight. He runs into an opponent who can counter that better than Herring and he might be in trouble. Laying on your opponent is not skilled fighting. But, yea, that opening punch was devastating, but Herring f'n rolled with it and was going to come right back up. I would've been a quivering pile of goo, crying for my mother.

Fitch is the last person to ever start a bar fight with on this planet.

Yeah, Lesnar's antics reeked of arrogance, but in the end I found it mildly amusing just because it's Brock. Here's an op-ed with a different opinion than that of most fans:
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/bull-ropes-and-bulls--t-respect-and-other-fan-foolery-13999
I sort of agree, and a little villainy would be good for growing MMA.

The title fight was awesome. I never fail to be amazed by GSP's abilities. Not only was he the first ever to pass Fitch's guard, but he pulled off an amazing reversal when Fitch was on top of him. The guy is the whole package, and that show of respect at the end was icing on the cake.

Can't wait for GSP-Penn...

Back