UFC 100 - 11 July 2009

Oh, I know, it was just wishful thinking on my part since Fedor is the only MMA heavyweight I'm fairly confident of being able to punish Lesnar.
True, if Fedor doesn't come to UFC, Lesnar will reign for a quite a while.
I would guess at least 4-5 matches probably more.

Oh, I know, it was just wishful thinking on my part since Fedor is the only MMA heavyweight I'm fairly confident of being able to punish Lesnar.
You should take a look at Carwin's fight against Gonzaga. He takes three straight bombs to the face and then winds up in half guard under a 260 lb BJJ black belt with a heavy ground game.

Then he gets his leg free and into an upright guard, figures out how to get back to his feet, and fires a short punch while moving backwards that knocks Gonzaga out cold. An incredible 30 second display of will, intelligence, wrestling, and power.

Maybe I'm biased because he's an engineer (how cool is that?), but I see him taking out Brock. I'm almost more confident about Carwin than Fedor, because Fedor is probably going to wind up on his back at least once and we don't know how he'll do against Brock's smothering skill. Carwin is the one guy who can mostly nullify that overwhelming strength of Brock to expose the rest of his game.

Fedor doesn't like the UFC's terms

At the UFC 100 post fight press conference, UFC president Dana White shocked the audience by very confidently stating that a deal with Fedor Emelianenko and a Brock Lesnar versus Fedor superfight was only a matter of time.

Fedor himself seemed less confident in the certainty of the deal. In a recent interview with MMA legend Bas Rutten on Inside MMA, Fedor said in no uncertain terms that he doesn’t feel he will be in the UFC in the near future and that the UFC’s terms were still “unacceptable.”

Fedor still said that Brock Lesnar is a serious fighter and he would be interested to test his skills against the UFC heavyweight champion.

Inside MMA interview:

Whether Fedor has made up his mind about the UFC or is simply waiting for Dana White to come back to the bargaining table remains to be seen. His fight on August 1st against Josh Barnett will be the last one on his contract with Affliction and a free agent Fedor is an impending reality.

Given White’s comments and the potential for the biggest superfight in the sport’s history, it’s likely the UFC will offer more attractive terms to the WAMMA champion before the summer is out.

News Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-14354-NY-MMA-Examiner~y2009m7d15-Fedor-doesnt-like-the-UFCs-terms
And More News: http://mmajunkie.com/news/15488/dan...ht-in-the-ufc-brock-lesnar-fight-imminent.mma

Seems like Bobby Lashley might want to join UFC sometime in the future.

Lashley calls out champ Brock

BOBBY LASHLEY claims he is the man who can end Brock Lesnar's dominance of the UFC heavyweight division.

The former WWE superstar has signed a deal with rival wrestling outfit TNA which allows him to compete in MMA while under contract with the firm.

And the 33-year-old reckons he has what it takes to dethrone Lesnar as king of the UFC's 265lbs division.

Lashley said: "I've seen Brock fight and I think he is a great champion.

"I'm not going to say anything bad about Brock because he is the champion.

"But my sights are set on him and I'm not saying that I want to fight him because he is 'the wrestling guy'.

"I am saying that because I am a heavyweight fighter and he's the heavyweight champ.

"Eventually, I do want to fight Brock for that title. I want to fight Brock and I do have a game plan to beat him."

Lashley also revealed his decision to compete in pro-wrestling and MMA simultaneously is because of his strong love for both.

Speaking to ESPN, he added: "I want to do both because I can. TNA is giving me the opportunity to compete in both sports which I have a passion for.

"I will bring MMA fans to wrestling and wrestling fans to MMA."

TNA president Dixie Carter added: "This is a great opportunity for Bobby to do something that has never been done before.

"He is the perfect ambassador for both sports. We are excited to have him join TNA — he is a true star who brings so much to the table as a member of our roster."

News Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-Lashley-calls-out-UFC-star-Brock-Lesnar.html

UFC boss picks fight with Floyd

UFC supremo Dana White has finally lost the plot — by claiming Floyd Mayweather Jnr's comeback is NOT a big fight.

White is well-known for his outbursts but his latest rant will not go down well with Team Mayweather.

Money is scheduled to return to the ring against Juan Manuel Marquez on September 19, which also happens to be the same night UFC 103 will take place.

And White believes his mixed martial arts outfit will eclipse the undefeated American's first bout since December 2007.

He said: "It's a fight people really aren't interested in.

"I love boxing but it is in big trouble. This next fight with Floyd isn't a big fight."

News Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/2541053/UFC-boss-picks-fight-with-Floyd.html

Randy: I know I can beat Lesnar

RANDY COUTURE insists he has what it takes to beat heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

The Natural lost the championship to Lesnar at UFC 91 last November after suffering a second round TKO.

Lesnar went on to be crowned undisputed heavyweight king following his impressive victory over interim title holder Frank Mir at UFC 100 last weekend.

But Couture, 46, reckons he has what it takes to get the gold back from around Lesnar's waist.

He said: "I am certainly capable of beating Brock, but it isn't going to be easy for anyone to beat him.

"He surprised me standing in our fight. I didn't judge his range and his speed of punch correctly and that's my failing.

"I would have to be smarter with the stand up, and make some adjustments to my timing, but I feel I can beat him standing up.

"I also believe the winner of my fight with Nogueira [at UFC 102] should get the title shot against Brock. The winner of that should be the No.1 contender."

Lesnar courted controversy after beating Mir when he swore at the crowd, mocked key UFC sponsor Bud Lite and taunted his opponent in the aftermath of their clash.

And Couture admits he was disgusted with the champ's actions.

He added: "I didn't like it. I think what is unique about MMA within combat sports is the sportsmanship, and I don't think we would have gotten the sport to where it is without that sportsmanship.

"This isn't like boxing where everyone trash talks. This isn't WWE.

"There are other UFC fighters who do also like to do what Brock did, too, but some people are just wired like that.

"I respect Brock, but he'll experience a backlash for his post-fight behaviour from the fans because they don't like that."

He continued: "His fight with Frank went as I expected it to, pretty much.

"Brock is getting better and better all the time.

"He's thinking about positions more, using his weight and speed on the ground better and better.

"He's more methodical than he was, we are seeing less of those rapid hammer fists and more controlled, accurate shots on the ground.

"And he threw some kicks in the opening round were weren't so bad, either.

"He's absolutely a better fighter now than the one who beat me in November. There's no question of that — and he'll be better still next time."

News Source: Randy: I know I can beat Lesnar | The Sun |Sport|UFC

So what do you guys think of Bobby Lashley maybe entering the UFC? He's as big and weighs as heavy as Brock. It would be interesting imo. though I'd still like Shane Carwin to have a title fight first.

I think that little piece of maturity along with bad-mouthing a major sponsor and flipping off the crowd is what got his little chit-chat from Dana after the event was over. I hope UFC signs someone like Fedor to a 1-fight contract and he pounds Lesnar into the ground.

I think he did right in flipping off the crowd, he fought a good fight and delivered and the crowd shouldn't boo him. Booing should be reserved for fighters that don't fight and wrong desicions from the judges.

I agree. I don't understand why they boo. Stupid spectators. Even with Anderson, they tend to boo just because he likes to take the 1st round lightly. Really stupid in my opinion.

I like Brock, I think he's done great.

I understand why they boo, it's because he hasn't earned anything he's been given it by the egomaniac that runs the show.

Lets not beat around the bush here, Mir was hand picked to be Brocks first whipping boy (which he was until Brock did something stupid) and yet despite losing Brock was still handed a title shot before Mir.

As to his comments about Floyd, I think he has truly lost the plot, big boxing fights draw way more than UFC could even dream of. Heck WWE still routinely hands the UFC it's ass in PPV buys.

I think he did right in flipping off the crowd, he fought a good fight and delivered and the crowd shouldn't boo him. Booing should be reserved for fighters that don't fight and wrong desicions from the judges.
The big boos came after he gloated in Mir's face immediately after beating him to a pulp. The proper thing to do is to shake the hand or give a hug to the guy you beat, and the anti-Brock sentiment came when Brock refused to tap gloves at the beginning of the fight.

Have you seen, for example, how Bisping reacted immediately after the Hamill fight? He was in the UK, so he didn't get boos there, but his cocky attitude after squeaking out a split decision that he should have lost is one of the biggest reasons that everyone was rooting against him in this recent fight. Even so, what he did that night was nowhere near as unsportsmanlike as what Brock did.

So yeah, the boos were expected and justified.

As to his comments about Floyd, I think he has truly lost the plot, big boxing fights draw way more than UFC could even dream of. Heck WWE still routinely hands the UFC it's ass in PPV buys.
You're not even close: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/12/13/691403/top-10-north-american-ppv
Boxing and WWE are fighting for a distant second place in PPV buys. Boxing will get one or two big events this year and next headlined by Mayweather and/or Pacquiao, but that's it.

Yeah, this is just North America, but that's the majority of the market. Mayweather vs. De La Hoya was 2.4M in NA and 3.1M WW, just to give you an idea. UFC is far bigger than WWE worldwide.

Not for long... edit: I quess not even anymore...

As to the boos. Brock has been booed since day one in all of his fights, no matter how he acts or fights. People have different reasons for booing him, some boo because he came from WWE, some because he got the title shot so fast, the way he acts, some people don't like that a guy who has trained so little time beats the crap out of these "martial art" guys. The fact is he sells tickets and that helped him to get the title shot, but the man is a true beast and a great athlete and won the title, so imo he deserved it, and it's going to be tough to take that belt from him no matter who tries.

The big boos came after he gloated in Mir's face immediately after beating him to a pulp. The proper thing to do is to shake the hand or give a hug to the guy you beat, and the anti-Brock sentiment came when Brock refused to tap gloves at the beginning of the fight.

The crowd was booing already when he came in to the arena and when Lesnar was presented and under several occasions during the match, when Lesnar was on top and working for example, so I think the crowd deserved to be flipped off.
That doesn't say that I don't think he showed bad sportsmanship, both in the match start when not touching gloves and after the match.

The crowd was booing already when he came in to the arena and when Lesnar was presented and under several occasions during the match, when Lesnar was on top and working for example, so I think the crowd deserved to be flipped off.
It's not the whole crowd that was booing then. It got worse with his antics. By your definition every crowd in every sport deserves to be flipped off.

If you agree that it was bad sportsmanship, I'm not sure why you think the crowd deserved to be flipped off. Bad sportsmanship often gets booed, so Brock brought much of it upon himself.

Yeah, this is just North America, but that's the majority of the market. Mayweather vs. De La Hoya was 2.4M in NA and 3.1M WW, just to give you an idea. UFC is far bigger than WWE worldwide.
I don't think so to be honest.

WWE is PPV in other countries while most other countries UFC fights are always free and on channels you wouldn't exactly call mainstream sports channels.

I think you greatly overestimate it's draw worldwide.

I don't think so to be honest.

WWE is PPV in other countries while most other countries UFC fights are always free and on channels you wouldn't exactly call mainstream sports channels.

I think you greatly overestimate it's draw worldwide.

I think you underestimate it tbh.

Although hand-to-hand combat within the metal-mesh walls of the Octagon is no longer marketed as a fight to the death, Bisping's battle with two-time world champion Henderson - as well as the world title fights between heavyweights Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir and welterweights Georges St Pierre and Thiago Alves - will be competitive in the physical extreme.

The threat to boxing is writ large in the TV ratings. Although last year's super-fight here between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr became the first - and so far only - event to break through the two million barrier for pay-per-view buys in the US, the UFC will occupy eight of the top ten places after this hot Saturday night in the Nevada desert.

Seven of their recent shows have drawn more than a million hits in America. Now this glitzy celebration of their centenary production is predicted to surpass those sales, leaving boxing with Tyson-Holyfield II (The Earbiting) as its only other member of the million-plus club.

The other statistics piling up in advance of UFC 100 are even more startling. Boxing's numbers include pay-TV sales at a higher rate to sports bars, clubs and restaurants.

Dana White, the UFC's ex-boxer president, astutely divides those into a separate closed-circuit operation.

So, in addition to the large screens in hotels here and around America, some 3,500 sports bars have paid the premium.

At even a modest estimate of 100 customers in each location, that adds 3.5 million viewers to the minimum four-per-home average for the basic service.

Then - wait for it - comes the world-wide audience. In neighbouring Mexico, alone, no fewer than 100 million homes have registered to receive UFC 100 via their regular cable networks, for no extra charge.

That brings the potential for another 400 million viewers. Brazil, with mixed martial arts stars now emerging from its long jiu-jitsu tradition, is another huge market, as are Canada and Japan, among no fewer than 51 territories which will broadcast this event.

Bisping's progress has turned almost idle British curiosity about the UFC into a raging cult.

Virtually below the radar of the mainstream media, this phenomenon is gripping 18-34-year-olds in the UK, with all the marketing potential of that generation.

So powerful is the advertising impact that the demise of Setanta, its contracted network in Britain, has caused barely a ripple.

UFC 100 has been switched to Sky Channel 433 and can also be viewed on UFC.com. More significantly, as in the US, White is opening up their future in Britain via the internet.

Yahoo have now added the UFC to the National Football League as their only sports platforms.

The traffic, especially on mobile phones and Blackberries, is reported to be voluminous.

Boxing purists are reluctant to be converted, the wrestling on the ground being perceived as ugly at worst, a difficult-to-acquire taste at best.

Yet it is being acquired by millions of young people from backgrounds as diverse as those of the fighters themselves, who range from farmers to university graduates, from bikers to heirs to family fortunes.

'It's like a virus,' says White. 'Once someone is touched they are addicted for life. That's what happened to me. I tasted mixed martial arts, I loved it, I believed, and I gambled every last dollar on the UFC.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...xing-UFCs-Bisping-bids-join-Vegas-greats.html

None of which tells you how popular it is in the UK.

I am telling you now, if it went PPV in the UK 90% of the people that watch it when it's free would not buy it.

Back