Brock Lesnar is the latest Heavy Hitter in the UFC

So the fight is tonight. Saw the 81 Countdown and I think this fight is gonna be awesome. If Mir really does bring his game, then Brock might have trouble. If not, then Brock is gonna tear chunks outta Mir.

The interrim Heavy Weight Belt which is up for grabs since Randy Couture left, with T.Sylvia and A. Nogueira fighting it out for the title should also be very interesting.

US

It's wrestling .. it's entertainment .. and yes .. a lot is planned thus not real. I mean if you've ever watched wrestling, you will pick up that they don't even hit each other at times, although it might seem so.
sorry my mistake, i got that link off the same youtube page, + assumed it was another UFC fight i didnt realize brock was a wrestler (where this video is from i assume) before he done UFC

I wanted Lesnar to win... Still I think he did fairly well considering his experience in the sport. I think he showed good form out there. He needs to train a bit more especially against submissions and he might one day be pretty good. He clearly is a great athlete.

Nogueira can survive that's for sure :smile:

Big Nog: Great heart, tremendous ability to take punishment and recover, excellent sweeps & submissions.
Arguably the GOAT if there was no Fedor.

Wow, so Brock Lesnar comes out and starts dominating Mir, then the ref stops for one hit behind the head which wasn't even intentional. Then Brock comes on again but Mir goes for the leg and gets Brock in a leg lock and sweeps and locks. Game Over.

I still think Brock was a bit unlucky though.

That said, it still goes to show that Brock needs much to learn, and when he does, he's gonna be hard. Mir was good with he's lock but was getting pummeled. IMO, it was close to bye bye for Mir until he got the leg lock.

US

Mir was getting pummeled pretty good; he did a good job of using the rules to his advantage (or abusing them, depending on how you look at it) by turning his head so Brock would hit him in the back of the head resulting in the stop.

Oh and Nogueira beat Sylvia with a head lock, but was also lucky as Sylvia was given the Brazilian huge headaches with his fists. Nog was bloodied up.

Third Round: Sylvia was on top of Nog and when he tried to escape, Nog(who had Sylvia's one leg caught with he's own legs) caught Sylvia's second leg then sweeped him to the floor and was able to get the head lock in as Sylvia tried to stand. Took about 3 secs for Sylvia to tap.

First two rounds I gave to Sylvia.

US

IMO, the ref fucked up by overreacting. I've watched the last 15 UFCs and never seen a ref stop the fight without a warning like that, particularly when Mir turned his head into the punches. That fight very well could've been over if it weren't for that.

I'd love to watch Lesnar fight Sylvia, that big, goofy, untalented loser. He wouldn't be able to lean on his opponent the entire fight or spread his legs to keep standing with someone like Lesnar. Would be fun watching him get destroyed in probably the first round.

Yep, Sylvia doesn't like going to the ground and Lesnar should overpower him.

Pity Big John McCarthy wasn't reffing the Mir match.

US

Some funny comments here. :???:

It's Mixed Martial Arts, folks. Emphasis on MIXED.
You have to be skilled in the various disciplines or at least be good enough to defend
against the different aspects - strikes, clinches, takedowns, grappling, submissions, etc.

Sylvia was killing Big Nog for 2 rounds, so what ?
He gave an opening and got choked.
It was a typical Nogueira fight, weather the storm and look for the submission.

Lesnar was kicking Mir's ass for 1m 20s, again same story.
Too preoccupied in rearranging Mir's face, gave away his leg, kneebar, the end.

Btw I do agree about the ref overreacting.

Some funny comments here. :???:

It's Mixed Martial Arts, folks. Emphasis on MIXED.
You have to be skilled in the various disciplines or at least be good enough to defend
against the different aspects - strikes, clinches, takedowns, grappling, submissions, etc.

Sylvia was killing Big Nog for 2 rounds, so what ?
He gave an opening and got choked.
It was a typical Nogueira fight, weather the storm and look for the submission.

Lesnar was kicking Mir's ass for 1m 20s, again same story.
Too preoccupied in rearranging Mir's face, gave away his leg, kneebar, the end.

Btw I do agree about the ref overreacting.

Yeah the end is what counts, but it's pretty dangerous to take a beating for long periods of time. Nogueira was awful, but got a break, which was partly skill and partly luck, he was on the verge of losing to Tim Sylvia...

Mir also was in a bad spot against Lesnar, but managed to turn the tide quite soon into the match. Lesnar needs more practice and skilled Jiujitsu opponent was probably the worst kind of match up for him in his UFC debut. Against Sylvia he would have probably faired quite well, although Sylvia is sligthly under appreciated.

haha, don't know what fight you saw, but I definitely saw Lesnar laying it into Mir and it took Mir a fraction of a sec to turn his head from upright(Lesnar was laying into him with his right hand) to his right, hence Lesnar had no reaction time as he was swinging down. One shot hit Mir behind the head, no more. And the ref stopped it and removed a point against Lesnar.

US

Agreed. I think Mir is a savvy enough fighter to have done that on purpose, hoping the ref would at least stop the pounding long enough to issue a warning. But, better yet, he stood Lesnar up and issued a point deduction, which is the first time I've seen that happen in over a dozen UFC cards.

I wouldn't call it "asserting his will" either. That expression simply doesn't apply in either cited case. In fact, Sylvia as asserting his will against Nog quite nicely, who was eating a very high % of punches thrown his way.

I think when the results aren't arranged before hand Lesnar will struggle.

If all it took was a few seconds gap to put him off then he has no chance in UFC.

Time to get on the phone to Vince Brock :LOL:

Back