UFC 101 - 8 August 2009

Yeah, Mousasi is in the DREAM superhulk tournament. Strikeforce was his best option until that finishes because the UFC won't let him fight anywhere else. Also, Mousasi is going to be in the EA sports MMA game, so the UFC will have to reverse its policy there.

The problem is he said he won't fight at 185 again. only 205 and maybe HW in the futur. The next fight against Sokoudjou is interesting (if Soko adds cardio and ground game to his arsenal), but next ? Vladimir Matyushenko ?

Matyushenko has also signed up for the UFC, as has Little Nog. There's nobody left outside the UFC at LHW. The Strikeforce fights are just filler until his DREAM contract is done and until the UFC stops being so anal about fighters that signed onto EA's MMA game.

Well UFC 102 Couture vs Nogueira was last night.

First fight was interesting - Brandon Vera vs Kryzsztof Soszynski

Kryz was clearly stronger but Brandon technically better and it showed with Vera winning the fight at the judges decision.

Marquardt vs Maia was good. Marquardt connect Maia on the jaw almost from the word go and winning the fight with the TKO.

Leben vs Rosholt, I always thought this would be a Leben show but Rosholt proved me wrong as Rosholt put Leben to sleep with a choke in teh third round. Very impressive for Rosholt.

Hague vs Duffee was a very quick fight as Duffee connected Hague the first hit and knocked him out on the ground. Round ended after 7 secs for a new UFC record.

Jardine vs Thiago Silva had Silva knock out Jardine after 1m35s into the first round. Good going Silva.

Herman vs Simpson went to show that Herman isn't as good as he thinks. Simpson was clearly much, much better than Herman who looked out of gas right from the start then he hurt his knee end of the first round and made it into the first few seconds of the second before giving up.

Couture vs Nogueira, what an awesome fight. First round Nog catches Randy with a shot and tried to choke him out but Couture hanged on to stand then both fighters did the stand up fight trading punches until the end of the first round.

Second round Nog catches Randy with a shot and goes for the Guillotine but Randy slips out is ends up on top of Nog but two minutes into the round Nog turns Couture over and was on top to do some damage of his own. Nog then went for the Triangle choke again but Couture escapes the choke and after another two minutes both fighters stand up and the round ends as Couture had a shot on Nog.

Third round and thirty seconds into it and Nog lands a shot on Couture and beats him on the ground but Couture survives again as Nog controls him on the ground and eventually mounts him on the back but Couture gets him off and ends up on top of Nogueira but can't do much as Nog has him in the guard till the round ends.

Nog wins with an unanimous decision.

102 was a better fight night than 101 IMO. But sometimes Joe and his idiot companion's comments really annoy the fuck out of me. I constantly get the imrpession Randy has instructed them to hype and pump up a specific fighter, and last night it was Vera. Examples:

Vera is pushing forward again!!! (as he's actually backing up)

Another kick from Vera!!! (that missed yet again)

I wish Mir would retire from fighting and the UFC would hire him for ringside commentary.

Couture VS Nog was epic.

I wanted to see more of Maia but it's MMA, quick KO happens. Very class act of Nate of not punching Maia when he hits the ground, before the ref stops it.

My only problem with this night was the prelims. How the hell Tuchscherer was allowed to continue to fight ?! Man... True warrior here but... he had no chance after that kick to the ...

By the way, can somebody rename this topic to "MMA" or something like that ?

Back