Randy Couture signs six-fight contract extension, plans on finishing career with UFC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unknown Soldier, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

News Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/16021/ran...ension-plans-on-finishing-career-with-ufc.mma

2. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Matt Hughes signs new multi-fight contract with UFC, still uncertain of next bout

News Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/16076/mat...act-with-ufc-still-uncertain-of-next-bout.mma

3. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Report: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira likely to make UFC debut in Manchester, England

News Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/16074/rep...ra-likely-to-make-ufc-debut-in-manchester.mma

4. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Randy needs to retire, he's too old at this point and he's going to get himself hurt.

5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Even if he lost, he looked good against Minautoro. Looked good against Brock too.

6. V3

V3
    Veteran

I didn't know there is another Nog. Is he as good as his brother ?

BTW whatever happen to Fedor, did he end up signing with the UFC ? Or did he chicken out again ?

7. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Fedor signed with Strikeforce, because they accepted to co-promote with M1-Global.

8. thehulk

Newcomer

Typical mma noob post.
    Didn't even know Nog had a twin / calling Fedor chicken? Pathetic.

9. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

You're not on Sherdog thehulk.

10. hughJ

Regular

Similar caliber, although not quite the same level of success. I'd probably argue that's largely due to the level of competition at LHW vs HW. He has better boxing than his brother, so he's always come across to me as the more balanced fighter of the two. He's also taken a lot less damage than his brother, so he's visibly the younger/fresher fighter.

I'm not sure on the reason why he didn't come straight to the UFC along with Shogun, Henderson, Wanderlei, etc.. he definitely was no less deserving. This is long overdue.

Not sure what they're going to do with having 3 title contender-level fighters from the same fight team competing in the same division. It's one thing to have Anderson moving up a weight class and be unwilling to step on Machida's toes. But Nogueira will surely want to compete for the title.

I can definitely see them doing a Shogun/Nogueira 2 at some point, the first one is still probably the best or one of the best MMA fights of all time.

11. V3

V3
    Veteran

Well explain please ? Rootax said he signed with Strikeforce because they accepted to co-promote with M1-Global ? So he signed with Strikeforce for political reason not competition. Is there someone he is looking forward to fight in Strikeforce ? I just don't follow MMA all that much. Just highlight here and there.

12. hughJ

Regular

Fedor is part owner of M1-Global, and also has several fights remaining on a fight contract with them. This would probably explain the insistence on having whatever promotion he signs with co-promote events that Fedor will be fighting in.

Fedor has said several times that he's not interested in his legacy or standing as a fighter, so I'm guessing that competing against the best is not his primary concern.

Of any international fighter that I've seen, he seems to be the least interested in uprooting and acclimating to the US. Most fighters seem to see the UFC as the be all and end all, the US as a new home, a place to open new gyms, live the American dream, etc. I very much doubt that Fedor will ever go that route. No matter where he goes, he always seems to have both feet firmly planted in Russia.

It's a shame, but we'll probably never see Fedor truly competing for #1 again. He'll probably never be worth more as a free agent than what he was this summer. If he ever negotiates with the UFC again, he'll likely not be offered as much money. His age is also a factor.. for a fighter who relies on speed and explosiveness, his best days are probably already behind him now.

13. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

14. hughJ

Regular

Was never particularly interested in the Rashad/Rampage fight, it was a fight that should never have been happening in the first place. The fact that Quinton turned down a title shot with Machida and stirred up a pretend rivalry with Rashad to be on a TV show, it seems only fitting that now he'd pass up Rashad in order to be in a movie. Competitive MMA seems to be the furthest thing from his mind right now.

15. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Yes... If it's confirmed, Dana will be pissed off, with a reason. I mean, Zuffa have been 100% behind Rampage after his road accident few months ago, and now Rampage thanks them like that ? Come on...

16. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Yeah Rampage is an asshole. This also casts a shadow on the Ultimate Fighter season 10 as they might have to edit some Rampage vs Evans hype out of it now. Big part of the Ultimate Fighter is to see the coaches going at each other in the end. I hope the fight will happen some day though.

17. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

News Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/16128/rep...bout-rebooked-for-ufc-107-slot-in-memphis.mma

18. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

News Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/16119/ras...-bout-with-quinton-rampage-jackson-is-off.mma

#18 Unknown Soldier, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
  19. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Brock Pulls out of UFC106 due to illness

News Source: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/update-lesnar-out-of-ufc-106-20560