Broadway specs

Broadway during a game runs at 729mhz at 5.5w from what I was told so I doubt it's cpu being the power hog. Would the ram or gpu being taking a lot of power up?

Well Iwata said it was 50W runninga game and 5W when in standby.

So who's more legit here? IGN or Nintendo themselves.

50W is what I'd think. Gamecube was about 30W. So, up the clocks a good bit and I can see 50W. I'd bet that is max though and that the machine probably sits around 35-45W typical considering it's a 90nm gamecube with more RAM and some flash RAM.

Iwata says Wii consumes 50W. FACT. IGN is not as credible as nintendo about nintendo hardware.
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/...ST=newtech&P=1

That's the system as a whole though. That powers the cpu, memory, a/v chip, any other chips, wifi (big power user there), flash ram, full sized (versus mini) DVD drive, and sensor bar that has to be able to maintain at least 4 inputs with a decent sampling rate. Additionally, since the Wii overall is cheaper hardware then the cube, it may be using cheaper, less power efficient parts overall. Oh, and 2 USB ports and SD flash cards that can all draw power, right?

Broadway during a game runs at 729mhz at 5.5w from what I was told so I doubt it's cpu being the power hog. Would the ram or gpu being taking a lot of power up?
I have a feeling it's the GPU. And if you add up all the power draw of the components, you won't find what you're using at the wall. Power supplies are not 100% efficient, so the machine might be using 35-40W.

And straight from IBM's mouth:

http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/ibm-announces-broadway-cpu-is-20-more-power-efficient/

To be 20% more power efficient per clock than Gekko, Broadway would need to run at 7.1W typical/12.0W max. The 970FX does 11W/13W at 1.0GHz. It also would need to incorporate all of Gekko's additional architecture. I just don't think a 970 can emulate 750 hardware at just over twice the clock speed. Developers were writing code right down to the assembly language of Gekko and any differences would make Gamecube games incompatible.

That's the system as a whole though. That powers the cpu, memory, a/v chip, any other chips, wifi (big power user there), flash ram, full sized (versus mini) DVD drive, and sensor bar that has to be able to maintain at least 4 inputs with a decent sampling rate. Additionally, since the Wii overall is cheaper hardware then the cube, it may be using cheaper, less power efficient parts overall. Oh, and 2 USB ports and SD flash cards that can all draw power, right?

No way are Nintendo going to go all out to design the most power efficient system they can and then use cheap parts that make it less efficient. Also doesn't the sensor bar use batteries? (maybe not, I just assumed it would).

Oh and how much power does WiFi really use? According to Nintendo the Wii uses less power then a small light when in sleep mode, and don't forget that sleep mode includes WiFi (since its designed to leave the Wii connected to the net even when turned off).

Why would the sensorbar use batteries? its wired to the console so it would be kinda dumb to use batteries if you could easly drain some power from the console.

No way are Nintendo going to go all out to design the most power efficient system they can and then use cheap parts that make it less efficient. Also doesn't the sensor bar use batteries? (maybe not, I just assumed it would).

Oh and how much power does WiFi really use? According to Nintendo the Wii uses less power then a small light when in sleep mode, and don't forget that sleep mode includes WiFi (since its designed to leave the Wii connected to the net even when turned off).

We're interested in max power consumption, not typical.

I was under the impression it was wireless.

The sensor bar at the kiosk had a wire running from it so I assume that's how it communicates to the main unit.

FYI - the bar is pretty freaking small. MUCH smaller than I expected as I never saw any pics of it on the web (wasn't looking).

Well, most diodes have a 0.7V drop across them and draw 20 mA. So power consumption of eight would add up to about 0.1W.

Flux, you keep pointing at power consumption numbers for the console and theafu keeps trying to say that Broadway draws 5.5W. Also, most of us don't speak (much less read) Japanese.

Gamecube was built around Flipper. Gekko's role was to keep Flipper fed with the information it needed, and the graphics chip really ran the show. I think Nintendo would go the same route with Wii and really emphasize Hollywood and build Broadway around serving the graphics chip and maintaining backwards compatibility.

Gamecube was built around Flipper. Gekko's role was to keep Flipper fed with the information it needed, and the graphics chip really ran the show. I think Nintendo would go the same route with Wii and really emphasize Hollywood and build Broadway around serving the graphics chip and maintaining backwards compatibility.

I'm wondering if the new controller and the more precise physical interactions that can potentially happen,would require a greater emphasis on The CPU for physics calculations.

I'm wondering if the new controller and the more precise physical interactions that can potentially happen,would require a greater emphasis on The CPU for physics calculations.

Yes.
And it should be that (power up the CPU) what would happen if they decided (assuming they didnt) to push the specs, this controller really have a big potential to new things like physics (see Elebits, it really gain a lot even it those surreal physics and a very limited number of obects), AI and animations could also be pushed a lot more given all the options that the player will (could) have, just to use well know examples.

More than gfx I do think they should at least get a good deal of CPU power or offlad heavy task of it.

Anyway it still looks like the CPU die size is to big to be just a Gekko with more cache.

We're interested in max power consumption, not typical.

Are you suggesting that somehow WiFi will use much less power then it normally would when the system is in sleep mode? Why?, its still serving the same purpose. My point was that if WiFi can run while the system is only consuming a tiny amount of power overall (same amount as a miniture light bulb apparently) then can it really be true to say that WiFi is a big power user?

Are you suggesting that somehow WiFi will use much less power then it normally would when the system is in sleep mode? Why?, its still serving the same purpose. My point was that if WiFi can run while the system is only consuming a tiny amount of power overall (same amount as a miniture light bulb apparently) then can it really be true to say that WiFi is a big power user?

There are lower power modes of wifi. For instance, the DS uses an 1Mb/s 802.11b connection, which I'm sure uses much less power than even an 802.11b connection at 11Mb/s. It's possible the wifi may have lower power modes. Additionally, it may only do transfers once every certain amount of time (say every minute) while in sleep mode, until it actually needs to download something.

Doesn't most of the power consumption of WiFi come from the power output of the transceiver? I doubt this would be an appreciable savings for an AC-powered console. Obviously DS is on a different scale of power usage concern.

Back