Broadway specs

I see he left out the name normalization factor: where anyone with console named "Wii" must quarter the size of his e-penis.

This would reduce Wii to little more than double the PS3's value.

What a Joke... This guy must be one hell of a Hacker to compare the theorical peak consumption the PS3 power supply can deliver (unlikely to ever get that high in real situation) and the nominal Wii Watt consumption... Another NintendoFan Desperate Act to autopersuade himself that he bought a real next-gen.

After doing benchmark tests on both the Wii and PS3's CPU it was found that the PS3's Cell processor which is over 3GHz was only about equal to a 1.5 GHz CPU. While the Wii's Broadway chip was about 8oo MHz. If benchmarking is to be believed, then the Cell processor is less than twice as fast as the Broadway. More tests should be made but this is a interesting find no doubt.
video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5136252806353451439&q=felix+domke

source:
http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/01/ps3-cell-processor-less-than-2-times-as.html

I bet he did'nt even do that, i also bet he did'nt even use the SPE's if he did.

I would look at that actually meaning that Wii's CPU is only half as fast as the PPE in Cell. Seems to me that means Cell has many times the processing power of Broadway. ;)

What a Joke... This guy must be one hell of a Hacker to compare the theorical peak consumption the PS3 power supply can deliver (unlikely to ever get that high in real situation) and the nominal Wii Watt consumption... Another NintendoFan Desperate Act to autopersuade himself that he bought a real next-gen.

"A real next-gen"?.. are you being serious? :LOL:

I would look at that actually meaning that Wii's CPU is only half as fast as the PPE in Cell. Seems to me that means Cell has many times the processing power of Broadway. ;)

You say that like its not completely obvious. Considering the size and cost of the chip Sony would have to be massively incompetent for CELL not to be at least several times more powerful then Broadway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the Cell is actually based around the Apple IIe, while the Wii is made of parts reverse-engineered from Megatron's head.

You say that like its not completely obvious. Considering the size and cost of the chip Sony would have to be massively incompetent for CELL not to be at least several times more powerful then Broadway.
Yes, but Swaaye's point is that the article writer didn't pick up on the completely obvious. He's suggesting the Cell is only 2x as powerful as the BroadWay, or rather, Broadway is only half the power of Cell, instead of the small fraction of Cell's performance. His point was 'Wii isn't that far behind in the processing stakes' which is....laughable, quite frankly! Misapplication of a pseudo-scientific method to prove a point that affirms your agenda - way too common a practice.

Yes, but Swaaye's point is that the article writer didn't pick up on the completely obvious. He's suggesting the Cell is only 2x as powerful as the BroadWay, or rather, Broadway is only half the power of Cell, instead of the small fraction of Cell's performance. His point was 'Wii isn't that far behind in the processing stakes' which is....laughable, quite frankly! Misapplication of a pseudo-scientific method to prove a point that affirms your agenda - way too common a practice.

Oh I realise that, it was just the wink at the end of the sentence I was referring to. Made it seem, to me, like it was supposed to be a really suprising bit of info or something.

Oh I realise that, it was just the wink at the end of the sentence I was referring to. Made it seem, to me, like it was supposed to be a really suprising bit of info or something.

In the future, I will attempt to be more witty. :cool: What Shifty said is what I was going for. That people can believe the pinky nail-sized G3-ish-esque Broadway could hold a candle to the monstrosity of engineering that is Cell, is certainly a bit off.

I just checked this out a bit and if you listen to the original source (Felix Domke) he does state clearly that he's comparing Broadway to CELL's PPE only. He says he only wanted to compare like for like (general purpose processors like PPE and Broadway). So despite what the article says he definitely doesn't claim that Broadway is over half as fast as the entire CELL processor overall, just for general purpose usage.

Its actually extremely impressive to me if Broadway is just over half the speed of CELL's PPE (which is faster then a single 360 PPE if I'm not mistaken?). CELL's PPE is quite a bit larger and running at almost 4.5 times the speed of Broadway.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd rather have a console with a broadway cpu and an improved g80 instead of a console with a g70 and a cell.

yes, i know the wii's gpu can't compare to the g80 or even the g70, but i was just trying to point out that the gpu is more important the cpu.

yes, i am mildly mentally retarded. or "physically retarded" as my cousin once said, b/c he's a dolt-ass.

Its actually extremely impressive to me if Broadway is just over half the speed of CELL's PPE (which is faster then a single 360 PPE if I'm not mistaken?). CELL's PPE is quite a bit larger and running at almost 4.5 times the speed of Broadway.

Ditto..imagine a dual or quad core Broadway. :cool:

Teasy said:
Its actually extremely impressive to me if Broadway is just over half the speed of CELL's PPE (which is faster then a single 360 PPE if I'm not mistaken?).
After all the talk, I checked out the video today. I was suspicious of the 1.6 figure before, and in his slide, he actually does have a reference to G5 at that clock speed - which sure enough, was one of the first synthetic benchmark runs on PS3 Linux. (PPE ~ 1.6G5).
The 800Mhz G3 was amusing too, but given the pretty comical spin on the rest of comparison I assume the CPU comparison was intentionally silly as well.

That said, once homebrew becomes viable on Wii, it'd be nice to see someone do a proper benchmarking run with the CPU. I'd especially like to see memory subsystem performance details, and cross-comparing them to other machines would be even better.

Its actually extremely impressive to me if Broadway is just over half the speed of CELL's PPE (which is faster then a single 360 PPE if I'm not mistaken?).

I'm not sure about the PS3 PPE's being faster than a single Xenon core.
Cell's PPE came from an earlier design revision than what wound up in Xenon, and I think the Xenon core has an additional integer unit not present in Cell.
It also sports a better extended VMX unit compared to the PPE.

The more recent Xenon core should be at least a little faster than the Cell PPE, if taken in isolation.

Back