Brink: Splash Damage latest FPS (Thread features DeanoC as master of secrets)

Rainbow 6 does have the huge green markers over your allies heads plus the combat is pretty much always under 100 yards so spotting people is never an issue except for dark areas/smoke/flashbang which are purposely designed to limit visibility.

My point, which Silent_Buddha so helpfully illustrated, is that you can't bring fun/not fun into this discussion: people will like different things. Saying not instantly recognising an enemy is not fun is ignoring the fact what each individual human finds "fun" varies.

Also, notice how Grall, who doesn't like shadows in MP games apparently because it makes it harder to see enemies, wouldn't like Rainbow Six which went on to spawn eight sequels.

If you're talking about a game where there's essentially an open world, having map markers or some such thing does definitely reduce how often you get killed by players you never saw.

We're only discussing Brink and similar shooters. By all accounts Brink is a small scale MP game sporting 8v8.

I am not saying they need to be neon green and neon red :p Games like 1942 had uniforms of similar color but design choices made it fairly easy to tell them apart. Games with a lot of post prcessing in dark settings can be hard to see stuff so some artistic considerations can help. I am not playing the game, so as an observer sometimes you are not always as engaged, but it seems guys looked similar?

Well, ETQW had some of the most instantly recognisable models of any game for the two teams (short of say, Humas vs Spiders). The human team was your standard man with army fatigues while the Strogg were metal-based with reasonably different silhouettes: SD still put in red triangles over enemies' heads. :rolleyes:

They did leave in a console option for disabling these red triangles but two things happen: you had to be running a custom server so the only way to play on these servers was search for servers with the "modded" option checked which usually meant joining a server running an actual third-party mod... which isn't always wanted.

Secondly, because it was a modded game it wasn't ranked. Most people only play on ranked because they measure their worth in life through gaming online stats like how many times they've tea-bagged someone. This meant modded servers were usually empty or nearly so: ETQW's sweet spot is 24 players (that's what ranked servers run in).

Like I mentioned, SD have already said they're leaving out the red triangles in Brink. Let's see if they carry this through.

Richard,
If you and I are ever on the same team I'll try not to shoot you. LOL!

No promises though. :)

Richard,
If you and I are ever on the same team I'll try not to shoot you. LOL!

No promises though. :)

Heh. I don't tend to walk into the line of fire of my team-mates and coordinate flanking runs a priori with squad/team leaders.

Yeah, I'm really into this. :p

Conversely, it's very rare for me to XP punish/vote down/whatever someone that TKs me, unless I realise they're TKing on purpose.

Heh. I don't tend to walk into the line of fire of my team-mates and coordinate flanking runs a priori with squad/team leaders.

Yeah, I'm really into this. :p

Conversely, it's very rare for me to XP punish/vote down/whatever someone that TKs me, unless I realise they're TKing on purpose.

Woo woo, one reason I lost interest in competitive online competition play was due to the move away from tactical team based competitions to more action mano et mano competitions (1v1 deathmatch).

1v1 deathmatch is all well and good and was just as easy to dominate, but man it is SOOOOOO boring.

I miss good coordinated teamwork with actual tactics, rather than the psuedo teamwork that was creeping in that was all about getting your team to exploit the same game bugs... Well, and the increase of aimbots, but most of those were easy to kill also. Just couldn't avoid being killed by them in return sometimes.

Hmmm, I'm rambling...

I miss tactical teamwork... Too bad counterstrike (source) came out after I basically quit online FPSing. Heard good things about that.

Regards,
SB

New footage went up as part of today's US PSN store update.

I've got to say, this looks promising. A lot about the look and the motion reminds me of Killzone 2 (in and out of running, jumping, camera sway, weapon animations etc).

There's something surreal about the way the characters look. Almost as if they were flat impostors composited into the 3D space. It definitely makes them stand out though, and that can only be a good thing for multiplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool vid, showing great stuff...if we can trust the buttons, some PS3 scenes are shown!

Sounds to be a phantastic coop experience, now I hope they tweak a little bit the sound of the weapons, which are a little bit light...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-brink/700663

EDIT: saw a new vid at gamersyde, here weapon sound is much better - so I think that everything is ok with weapon sound!

We need some tidbits from Deano, after he recovers from the E3 crunch of course. I seem to remember him saying they abuse him pretty hard this time of year.

:cry: not wanting to be the one to bring negativity into the thread, but the gametrailers.com E3 walkthrough of what is clearly the PS3 version (here:http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-brink/700693) has me a little concerned...

The game overall looks great... the art design i simply adore. However, the screen tearing on this build is pretty jarring and normally i'm not really sensitive to screen tearing. Also, i can see a slight blur to the image (quincunx?) and it appears to lack any motion blur seen in the previous demos of the container city level (i'm guessing were on 360).

Deanoc, if you can answer a concerned fan (as i'm planning on getting this game day1 on PS3 as i love the concept), is this a pretty early build or is this the same image quality/integrity we'll get with the final retail build when the game ships?

It's just that the footage here seems quite a ways away from the previous footage which i thought looked almost godly.

P.S. i guess we're expecting big things from you guys up there at SplashD ;-)

Edit: I just saw a bit of motion blur ;-)... God the customisation system looks freakin awesome!

Yeah I was gonna say it too, the MP footage looked downgraded. Still looks fairly nice though, just downgraded from earlier stuff.

The game overall looks great... the art design i simply adore. However, the screen tearing on this build is pretty jarring and normally i'm not really sensitive to screen tearing. Also, i can see a slight blur to the image (quincunx?) and it appears to lack any motion blur seen in the previous demos of the container city level (i'm guessing were on 360).

Deanoc, if you can answer a concerned fan (as i'm planning on getting this game day1 on PS3 as i love the concept), is this a pretty early build or is this the same image quality/integrity we'll get with the final retail build when the game ships?
We are still tuning performance (the footage is from a roughly alpha build), and as such VSYNC isn't on yet for the game. Once we hit our performance target, VSYNC will go on and screen tearing will go away.
We don't use a quincunx filter anywhere, while we do some blurs as a part of the postprocessing (motion blur, depth of field) thats shouldn't be noticeable. Motion blur is turned down, as we are not feeling the very motion blur look, its possible its what your seeing as blur...

We are still tuning performance (the footage is from a roughly alpha build), and as such VSYNC isn't on yet for the game. Once we hit our performance target, VSYNC will go on and screen tearing will go away.
We don't use a quincunx filter anywhere, while we do some blurs as a part of the postprocessing (motion blur, depth of field) thats shouldn't be noticeable. Motion blur is turned down, as we are not feeling the very motion blur look, its possible its what your seeing as blur...

DeanoC you're a legend ;-)

We have complete faith in SplashD to deliver the goods :D

It's looking phenominal too :)

A great looking game, definitely one I keep track of.

Didn't even know it had been delayed till Spring 11 as well. Sigh. Getting very tiresome.

It's one of those games like Rage, that while it looked awesome at one time, needs to come out already, else it just starts to fall behind graphically.

The new dev diary only has ~5k views at this time on GT. Sadly I'm not sure I predict huge sales for this game, despite that I think it has nice visuals and visuals drive hardcore hype. It didn't necessarily help Alan Wake or Killzone 2 or Split/Second sales.

Back