Brink: Splash Damage latest FPS (Thread features DeanoC as master of secrets)

My wife said "Apparently this game is not for girls" (as the models were all dudes they showed in the smart video) And something about thuggery, but the smart thing seemed kind of cool. It depends how often it does what you want. The premise is nifty I hope it does well.

I suspect it will do very well because the graphics are very good which imo is always job 1 in building hype (especially for a new IP) in the hardcore market. And also, because it's an FPS.

Really I think you can trace something like the COD4 explosion of popularity, back to how good it looked for the time. I mean what was the first thing that surfaced about COD4? That it looked really good (again, it's aged some now of course). Not that I'm saying this will come close to COD4's popularity.

I'd suspect that with the character customization a female would be an option

The devs said the cost of female-specific assets + animation + texture budget overhead + voice overs isn't worth it.

My GF never had any problems playing male characters in MP games (Wolf: ET for instance) but Brink's customisation slant could prove dissonant with the lack of female avatars option. Whether that matters (ca-ching!) is another problem entirely different.

Isn't LBP's MP drop-in/drop-out?
yes it is as it is exclusive at the same time

Also, didn't Saint's Row 2, which is a multiplatform title, also do drop-in/drop-out?
I did not mean that there are no PS3 drop in/out online games, I just asked if these type of games pose an additional difficulty for porting to the PS3

I can't see why any more resources would be necessary than what's available with the system already???
I thought that I heard that a lot of OS features (like voice chat and friendslist, game invite, ...) need additional resources...maybe I am wrong?

Sounds like a bit of a reach there Billy,

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your post?
Yeah, maybe....maybe I am just a little bit nervous and overreacting :oops:, as it is usually not a good omen when publisher show the Xbox360 version, without a life sign of the PS3 version,...hopefully the devs don't force me to buy the Xbox360 version :mrgreen:

Yeah, maybe....maybe I am just a little bit nervous and overreacting :oops:, as it is usually not a good omen when publisher show the Xbox360 version, without a life sign of the PS3 version,...hopefully the devs don't force me to buy the Xbox360 version :mrgreen:

Official website (and in interviews, etc.) shows G4W/PS3/XBOX360.

I've just read a post from one of the devs that these movies are all from an old, E3 build of the game that's been created in May and they will continue to tweak the gameplay until the release. Thought some of you may be interested ;)

G4W meaning Games for Windows? So it will support Live (and hence achievements) on the PC version? I tried locating that info on their website but couldn't find it.

The website only says G4W, not G4WLive. (the info is hidden in the bottom bar - you have to press the button on the bottom-right "show platforms").

Really I think you can trace something like the COD4 explosion of popularity, back to how good it looked for the time. I mean what was the first thing that surfaced about COD4? That it looked really good (again, it's aged some now of course). Not that I'm saying this will come close to COD4's popularity.

Yup, probably nothing to do with CoD2 & CoD3 doing about 4 million each. :rolleyes:

CoD4 had a lot of innovation MP wise and finally took the step into modern warfare, and im betting a helluva lotof people where getting bored of the M1 Garand.

I doubt graphics pushed it so far, althought it did look good, and certainly pushed some sales on that but CoD2 and CoD3 also looked as good as CoD4 did compared to the competition.

I tend to agree with Ostepop. COD2 and COD3 sold well because they were pretty good games (visuals and gameplay, although I liked COD2 more). COD4, since it was modern themed, was hugely anticipated, similar to BF2 on the PC. The fact it had excellent MP was just icing on the cake. I think those aspects were more significant than any perceived graphical superiority.

I've just read a post from one of the devs that these movies are all from an old, E3 build of the game that's been created in May and they will continue to tweak the gameplay until the release. Thought some of you may be interested ;)

I found it hard to see who were friendlies and who were enemies. Hopefully they look into that some.

I still haven't been able to get these videos working on my PC... :(

It gets to the airport bit on the first video and then freezes as the character is about to start moving (grrrr...)

I so want to see this game... I'm pretty pumped for it actually. Really like the concept :D

I found it hard to see who were friendlies and who were enemies. Hopefully they look into that some.

This isn't personal Joshua, just using your post as a launchpad but... check your target before you pull the trigger? As a team-based game, play with people that know NOT to flank right into the cross-fire?

SD have mentioned Brink will not have the awful red-triangle indicators like ETQW did, but I'm starting to think they'll cave in and put them back if people just complain they can't instantly recognise an enemy in a blurry video of a game they've never played.

If people do NOT want to think before they shoot there's plenty of games out there with bright skins, indicators over the enemies' heads and perhaps even friendly fire set to off. We don't need another one. :devilish:

Finally had time to watch the videos... Absolutely amazing graphics there, but I can't really judge the gameplay. A little to chaotic and didn't really get me interested yet.

I have this feeling that they're spending so much time on the environment assets (due to virtual texturing) that they're trying to make the most out of it by really slowing down the player's advancement through them. Sort of turning it into a series of multiplayer arenas... unlike, say, COD MW where you're going through a long but linear series of one-way streets.
Then again the graphics alone might be able to sell it ;)

@Richard
Hesitation gets you killed. Getting killed is bad. So more often than not you don't have the luxury of checking your targets. Anything a dev can do here to help the player is very worthwhile IMO.

Also, I don't think graphics alone can sell a shooter. It will need good MP, and the player expectation bar for MP shooters is set pretty high.

Deano doing his work again. Has a Killzone 2/Heavenly Sword look...with some gameplay animation of Mirror's Edge. I likes :)

@Richard
Hesitation gets you killed. Getting killed is bad. So more often than not you don't have the luxury of checking your targets. Anything a dev can do here to help the player is very worthwhile IMO.

It works both ways, if you somehow can't instantly recognise an enemy, the enemy won't instantly recognise you either.

If hesitation is something you don't want, there's something devs could do to completely remove it: make a game where as soon as the loading screen is gone you're automatically facing your sole enemy in bright red against a black background and you have an instagib weapon, there's no movement, no cover, no nothing. There, is it a good game?

Back