Bout Time For A New Sega Console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a capital of ¥29bn ,but it's still not enough to launch a new hardware worldwide.The launch of a new hardware requires billions of $/€ (if you include R&D,manufacturing,plants,commercials,distribution etc...)and strong,really strong,partnerships...

Hardware's just one thing. I'm sure Sega-Sammy could scrounge up enough venture capital and whatnot for a decent-enough launch at least of some kind of new console. However that's the easy bit.

You NEEED killer software also or you're deader than fucking DEAD. Where's the triple-A titles that will carry this mythological beastie? Sega has no talent anymore, no mindshare. They've tried to live off of the reputation of Sonic, but all they've managed is to screw up, repeatedly...

Also, to survive past the 90-day launch window (roughly speaking), you need a decent enough third-party following, you need a huge development and support mechanism or else other devs just aren't going to bother with your platform, especially since any new hardware will start off with an installed customer base of ZERO. You need a resident firmware; easy-to-use, powerful, yet light-weight. The OS must have APIs for all the things you can reasonably expect a games console to manage these days.

Also these days you need a working, solid online strategy. You need login servers, cloud storage for all that achievement crap that's so popular these days, friends lists and whatnot. You need an online store, with strong DRM to protect the stuff running on your platform. Again: or else nobody will bother to develop for a new untested platform.

All of this will need to be stress-tested, and tested again. It has to work once the launch goes off, you can't have news that your DRM can be circumvented by - for example - a specifically crafted/corrupt file on a USB stick or something silly like that.

If these things are missing then there's just too much work and too much risk for too little profit, and no third-parties in their right mind will bother with it.

Ensuring all this would cost craploads of money. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up costing at least as much if not a lot more than manufacturing and shipping out all the hardware launch units.

And of course, regardless of whatever I may have missed in this post, there's simply no room in the marketplace for another console. That's just the way it is.

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but Sega is on a downhill ride ever since arcades became irrelevant in the US. Their most recent move has been axing most of the western branches, with an announced intent to only target "digital platforms" from now on. This probably means no vinyl release of Sonic 4, but I digress.

They are not bringing out hardware. They are shrinking. Those two ideas are incompatible, and only one of them is reality.

That's why I believe any future hardware from them shall be download only.

They are evolving from packaged goods to download only.

This is the future of the industry and like always SEGA is the first to jump in head first. Somethings never change.

Never change SEGA. Never change.

So there really is no way to keep that monster out of here? I'm getting depressed.

He always comes back... shits all over the carpet, and it always takes like 3 ruined carpets covered in shit before it's "proven" that the only thing he knows is how to shit on a carpet, at that point he's thrown out only for me to see him re-emerge with fake moustache on his face all ready to lay the shit bomb again. Usually he starts by farting, and I'm the only one who recognizes the smell, others are like "are you sure that's not a rose"

Yes I'm sure, smells like shit, not a rose, but shit! Then the farts end and shit comes. That's how I feel about him/the situation anyways :)

They are evolving from packaged goods to download only.

This is the future of the industry and like always SEGA is the first to jump in head first. Somethings never change.

You're working for them,right?

Downloadable hardware eh? That's certainly a rad concept... :LOL:

Then again, it just might be you smoked too much dope before posting.

Yeah, because Sega's first with downloadable games? Errrrrr, wtf?

I see you're in love, but Sega can never love you back. It's an affair doomed to heartbreak I tell ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back