Blur (new Bizarre racer)

Wow this thread hasn't been very active. ;)

Reviews are popping up, and scoring seems similar to Split/Second (at least on Eurogamer. ;) ).

This game seems the more potent multi-player game by far though, and of note is that it supports a 4 player split-screen mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/blur-review 8/10

Nice this will certainly do good with the mario kart fans.
Especially the 4 player splitscreen is a must have for this kind of games.

picking this up today - mostly for multiplayer.... hope it has legs... the beta demo was fun enough to warrant a place on my bench at least :D

Trying to decide between Blur and Split/Second. Has anyone tried both? I'm mostly interested in the online gaming aspect of the games.

Trying to decide between Blur and Split/Second. Has anyone tried both? I'm mostly interested in the online gaming aspect of the games.

If you're mostly interested in the online gaming aspect, I'm going to blindly recommend Bizarre Creations' game. I've heard from just about all reviewers that the online play for Split/Second is fairly bare-bones, whereas BC is known for their innovative use of multi-player and online integration, and Blur definitely seems to build on that pedigree.

I've tried SS demo and Blur beta online and the if online is your thing i think Blur will be the better experience

2000 people online?

come on guys... go get this :D

played a few races and with an excellent upgrade system and after muddling my way through a few races, it started to click. I can see some depth to the game play annd reminds me a bit of a shooter with cars. I don't mean bullets, but just the nature of the gameplay.... use some skill, smarts, and strategy to win... although best I did was 4th.

this game is very, very polished with tons of options. the MP racing is the most fun online racing I have ever experienced. never was it more fun to come in 7th or even 13th. :LOL:

really well done fast and exciting arcade combat racing

Just got this game and it's very cool. Timing is good since I got bored of Forza and sold it, but Blur will satisfy my urge for racing chaos quite nicely. This game is all about the multiplayer really. Single player is fun, but the chaos of online play is simply too much fun! Love it, one of my favorite racing games in a long time.

Just got this game and it's very cool. Timing is good since I got bored of Forza and sold it, but Blur will satisfy my urge for racing chaos quite nicely. This game is all about the multiplayer really. Single player is fun, but the chaos of online play is simply too much fun! Love it, one of my favorite racing games in a long time.

Yea, I'm looking to buy it because of the split screen support. Pity you can't do splitscreen + system link though (unlike Halo 3, COD etc). Would add some great variety to our console LAN parties, instead of just the usual shooters.

Is there some technical reason why? Or have they just not had enough time to implement it.

Yea, I'm looking to buy it because of the split screen support. Pity you can't do splitscreen + system link though (unlike Halo 3, COD etc). Would add some great variety to our console LAN parties, instead of just the usual shooters.

Is there some technical reason why? Or have they just not had enough time to implement it.
LAN parties... heh. I've always been fascinated with some PC gamers who played PC games at the cybercafe close to the flat where I lived, they were so much into the games they played, their favourite seemed to World of Warcraft and Age of Empires. I never took part in one but they had a lot of fun, apparently.

I am also interested in a good Arcade racing game. I loved Forza 1 because it was original, the AI was aggressive, plus it made a lot of mistakes like actual drivers, the Drivatars learnt from your driving style, the nocturnal races..., etc etc.

After that Forza became a GT wannabe, which in theory is great but in practice it lacks the lighting and style of GT games, adding to that a career mode which is plain boring.

At least the game runs at 60 fps, though, this was my main gripe about Forza 1.

I just read the DF stuff about Blur. While watching the vids to compare the two version, I suddenly realized that I like the stuff what I see - not only from a tech point of view, but from a gamer point of view!!

Is it right when someone would state that this is like Wipeout on Wheels?
I did not pay to much attention on this game (AW and RDR sucked all my attention), but it seems to be rather action packed arcade racer-this is exactly what I am looking for (MS3 seems to be to long to wait!)

I tried the Split Second demo and thought it was ok-ish, but these Blur DF vids looked really good! I will start to switch my focus (think about Sauron's flamy eye) partially on this game - will walk by a Gamestop today...let's see how this turns out!

that was the vibe that I get from it too sometimes.

especially with the B and A class cars that riiip around the tracks at breakneck speed and with alternate routes and flying off of the course at times. :D

DF article

How is single player?
Is there are "story" mode or something like this?
Are there different cars with different behavior?
Do you get faster cars while progressing in SP?

Thanks!

How is single player?
Is there are "story" mode or something like this?
Are there different cars with different behavior?
Do you get faster cars while progressing in SP?

Thanks!

SP will be hit or miss with some... MP is definitely where it's at if you get 10 + (up to 20) racers.

But SP:
it's not very story driven although it has a linear plot of having a boss for each area of progression. There is a voice over guiding you through. Each area boss has a list of qualifications that you must meet in order to qualify to challenge that boss to race a 1 on 1 to advance to next level. There are different fan levels you can attain for each event so although you may pass a boss, you can return to get a higher score in each race and go for completion.

yea there are several different types of cars (Street, off-road, drag....grippy, drift etc) that as you unlock you can choose to use. there are 55 licensed cars in the game and they absolutely increase with faster cars as you progress... there are also Mods that you can choose form and add up to 3 for your car which give different abilities (higher shields, ramming power, evasion etc). so there is a lot of customizing of th game experience not really of the cars.

This game is played best online or as LAN or split screen maybe? party game or online MP.

the best thing SP is doing for me (only on boss 2 Fan level 6 ;)) for me is it is teaching me how to play because there is actually a bit of depth to the game especially when online against some good players. I have yet to win an online race and only came in 3rd once. :p In fact MP has a COD level upgrade system that rewards you as you level up so if you go in agaisnt a 30 and you are a 3 you will be fighting for the bottom rung of racers. Funny thing is, I don't get bored yet coming in 10th or lower because it's a battle all the time with someone.

the game is chock full of little details, options and polish however.

although it lacks a custom race option for SP out of the box. I'm hoping it unlocks after completing career mode though. There is a custom race maker online or split screen (VERY ROBUST) but you need two people minimum (I think it fills the rest with AI quantity of your choosing). I would have preferred a custom race maker with AI too for a single player.

SP will be hit or miss with some... MP is definitely where it's at if you get 10 + (up to 20) racers.

But SP:
it's not very story driven although it has a linear plot of having a boss for each area of progression. There is a voice over guiding you through. Each area boss has a list of qualifications that you must meet in order to qualify to challenge that boss to race a 1 on 1 to advance to next level. There are different fan levels you can attain for each event so although you may pass a boss, you can return to get a higher score in each race and go for completion.

yea there are several different types of cars (Street, off-road, drag etc) that as you unlock you can choose to use. there are 55 licensed cars in the game and they absolutely increase with faster cars as you progress... there are also Mods that you can choose form and add up to 3 for your car which give different abilities (higher shields, ramming power, evasion etc). so there is a lot of customizing of th game experience not really of the cars.

This game is played best online or as LAN or split screen maybe? party game or online MP.

the best thing SP did for me is it is teaching me how to play because there is actually a bit of depth to the game especially when online against some good players. I have yet to win an online race and only came in 3rd once. :p

ther game is chock full of little details, options and polish however.

although it lacks a custom race option for SP out of the box. I'm hoping it unlocks after completing career mode though. There is a custom race maker online or split screen (VERY ROBUST) but you need two people minimum. I would have preferred a custom race maker with AI too.

Woha...thanks very very much for your detailed impressions!!!
You just wiped away my last concerns...
I think I need this game!
:cool:

Back