Bloodborne: [PS4] (From Software)

Demon Souls was made by Studio Japan and From and came first. Dark Souls 1/2 is by From alone and Bloodborne is again by Studio Japan and From.

Basically Sony didn't know what a hit they had made with Demons Souls and even refused to publish it outside Japan. They then let From slip away and make the Dark series and then got smart again.

So great. Love the graphics. Love the look. THIS is how you do a post apocalyptic Victorian England type scene. Dark, dreary, overcast, and wet wet wet.

It may not tick all the technical checkboxes, but still think it's one of the best looking games of this generation. So want this game.

Regards,
SB
That sword which turns into a whip seems sexy as hell :devilish: ! THats what has got me excited and yes, the mood is spot on ! Dark, dingy, wet and menacing ! the monsters have me drooling all over my monitor ! Such fluid, menacing monsters ! Each movement feels deadly !

except for the shimmering though, that was really bad in the 18 minute demo.

I appreciate the clarifications, are the games that different? Or is this just nitpicking for excellence?

To me they are. You'd think that being the same company they'd recycle the core systems of the game (like they did with Bloodborne) but they actually tried to redo everything from scratch and it shows. Superficially it seems similar but there are fundamental gameplay changes that make the game feel a lot different from its predecessor. Examples of that are the backstabs and counters. Instead of instant execution they're now slow and provide no invulnerability frames so their use for mob control is gone which is pretty bad because you also encounter far more mobs in DS2 than you do in DS1.

EDIT: Ripostes (counters) actually work exactly the same as they did in DS1 :

Last edited:
Bloodborne.gif

Has it gone gold? Cos someone is showing a blu ray box showing min required HDD space to be 41 gb ! I had hoped for 30ish gb size :-/. I am going for the psn version, guess will have to download on 1st April, then :( !

I hope the game is good. I am quite excited...I like this setting much more than the settings of the Souls games.

It is also positive for me that the gameplay seems to be much faster and dynamic.

I'll see if I can handle the hardcore difficulty though :)

My GF has preordered the game as a present for me...so in about 2 weeks or so, I know more!

EDGE verdict on Bloodborne:

"If you thought From Software was going soft, Hidetaka Miyazaki is about to put you brutally back in your place. And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time. As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again."

:cool:

Also, the game just had a "gone Gold" event is final now ! Can't wait !

More from Edge:

"There is a moment in Dark Souls that we will never forget: Down in the depths picking up an item from a corpse and a slime dropping on to our head. We spent the rest of the level panning the camera for unseen threats. No longer scared of dying, but of moving. Imagine a whole game like that."

"Gone is the dark fantasy, the faded crumbled majesty of the Souls series. Bloodborne is filthy, grisly, and very, very scary. It's a horror game."

"Did you think Dark Souls 2 was too easy? Perhaps you complained that, after three games in a similar vein, FromSoftware's template had become so familiar it had grown straightforward. Bosses fell at the first attempt and areas were cleared without need to trouble your stock of Human Effigies, blind corners holding no fear as you set about filling up the warp-selection screen with one generously placed bonfire after another. Does that sound familiar? If it does, thanks a bunch. This is all your fault."

"It’s quite interesting. It’s like a hybrid of Demon and Dark Souls. FromSoftware decided to mix those two together. I think it works out really nicely. You still have this kind of refuge, this central area you can always retreat back to. But the game world itself is more like Dark Souls, because in Bloodborne it’s all linked together as well. Once you venture out, you can effectively go anywhere you want."

"When we do pick up a shield ten or so hours into Bloodborne, the item description makes FromSoftware's feelings on the matter perfectly clear. "Shields are nice," it reads, "but not if they engender passivity." We have yet to so much as equip it."

"any surplus pickups are automatically sent to a storage box back at Hunter's Dream"

Plus this [saw it on GAF]:
“Yes, there will be a New Game Plus mode. We’re having trouble beating it, though.” - Miyazaki

I think I will be hopeless in this game but I still can't wait to get in there ! Its much faster and you cannot hold back and plan, which means I will be a complete idiot in it....hopefully not. Just can't wait to get in there and be soaked in that dark mysterious atmosphere and be spooked to death :p ! ! !

Don't like that trailer....feels just jumbled together with no purpose. Over long, trying to say too much but lacking any style.

But: SNOW !!!! :p !!!

Game seems supremely slick, menacing, stylish and moody ! But they need AA lesson from @MJP

Last edited:
Back