BioShock

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/bioshock/screenindex.html?sid=6158974&tag=gumballs;img;1

Update update update!

New enemies revealed!

I do have a question though. I read in an article that Rapture was supposedly a peaceful society and the original intentions of the developers was to give the weapons a homemade look, thus the oddity of a weapon the Big Daddy carries. Now unless our hero crafted a shotgun and a 6 shooter...

It was supposed to be peaceful, but once Adam was discovered, a civil war eventually broke out over it, which is why the entire thing seems to be crumbling and falling apart.

Wikipedia explains it best:

A scientific discovery upset the balance of the society. Two scientists studying ocean-floor dwelling creatures discovered a species of sea slug that secretes pure stem cells. These could be used to enhance one's body, improving physical or mental capabilities, curing diseases and healing injuries. A young entrepreneur named Fontaine invested early on in the research to gain control over the material. The substance, dubbed "Adam", became so sought after in the society, that it became the dominant currency of the city. A "full-scale genetic arms race" broke out between Ryan and Fontaine as Fontaine's monopoly on Adam threatened the current social structure. Ryan eventually won, but everyone in the city was permanently changed. During the war, it was discovered that Adam could be used to modify one's body, combining technology and mutations to adapt and survive the conflict, but losing their humanity in the process. During the conflict, all natural sources of Adam were destroyed, which eventually resulted in a major shift in the "ecology" of the city, as all inhabitants had become biologically dependent on Adam to survive.

When the player arrives in Rapture, the city is in a state of disrepair, its vast underground living areas and laboratory complexes scarred by the effects of the civil war and poisoned by biological weapons. Low-level flooding is also found to be a problem, as the use of high-powered explosives and corrosion weapons during the war created small breaches in the city's sea walls, allowing the sea to enter some of the buildings.

As the player descends through the underwater city, he or she will explore the many levels of the giant undersea base, including the huge living quarters modules, the multi-floored scientific headquarters and the undersea monorail transport network. Remnants of the last days remain in notes and recordings made by the citizens before and during the collapse of Rapture's society. Not only does this provide background, it also opens new avenues in the player's interaction with the ecology of Rapture.

I managed to catch the trailer last night as part of the VGAs in the middle of a commercial break for The Lost Room.

I was completely uninspired by the trailer, not having known much about the game prior to watching it.

The combat looked odd, the graphics didn't look very great, and there was just something that rubbed me the wrong way when you are holding the pistol. The model just looked like utter crap.

However, I will give them props for not being another Super Space Marine in a half-destroyed neon future with gothic churches scattered throughout the landscape.

I managed to catch the trailer last night as part of the VGAs in the middle of a commercial break for The Lost Room.

I was completely uninspired by the trailer, not having known much about the game prior to watching it.

The combat looked odd, the graphics didn't look very great, and there was just something that rubbed me the wrong way when you are holding the pistol. The model just looked like utter crap.

However, I will give them props for not being another Super Space Marine in a half-destroyed neon future with gothic churches scattered throughout the landscape.

Did you try watching the Developer Walkthrough of the game on gametrailers?

The trailer shown last night doesnt give the game justice, they didnt really show some of the cool features of the game(both gameplay and visuals), and the developer walkthrough gives an insight on that.

Watch the walthrough which I think is available on XBLive, if not gametrailers.com. It's 10minutes long, narrated by the lead designer, and really explains what this game is all about. (it sounds amazing)

It's also based on System Shock 2, which I hear was a really great game a few years back.

It's also based on System Shock 2, which I hear was a really great game a few years back.

You hear correct, it was awesome. Creepy as all get out, and this was in a time when it was still plainly obvious that these creatures were built out of triangles. SS2 heritage is certainly getting me excited for this one...

Now there's a real game. What a stunning creation. Between SS2 and Half Life, most of the quality games we have today were defined in those days. And we've not gone anywhere since, really. I just plowed thru SS2 a few months back. Age of that game should be of no consideration in whether to try it or not. It does have a few gameplay flaws though, for sure. Repetitive bad guy spawning can drive some people insane (without the help of the already horribly unnerving atmosphere). But wow, you haven't seen (or heard) anything if you haven't made it to the Hydroponics level. Dear God.... :oops:

The art in this game is just too sweet, and so is the atmosphere, I guess it is on the technical level that it suffers a bit...

I agree, but does that really matter? I can live with a few obvious polygone edges if that means playing an immersive and creative game in a beautifully designed and original setting...

Nope, I haven't checked out the developers walkthrough.

I'll have to grab it when I get home from work, as I said, I was just basing my opinions off of the trailer that was shown the other night.

Looking at the screenshots, the game still leaves me scratching my head. Some things look great other things look so bad they look like they don't belong.

Things like that confuse me.

Back