Console (XBox360, PS3) specific settings

StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit:

If this is a positive number, then instead of using the fixed per-level

limits, the StreamingDynamic resource will use as much memory as is

available as long as the total memory allocated by the game is less than
the specified number. In other words, StreamingDynamic will grow and
shrink to fit to the available memory instead of being locked to a fixed
budget StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit=500

this doesn't set any legal relationship or anything sort of that the game will come to ps3.

regarding widescreen issue i played Gears which is in same situation with Bioshock, at both widescreen and 4:3. didn't notice any problems at all, not at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but if not then please remove. Some code found in the PC version of the game has a reference to the PS3

The file is located at the following filepath for the game:

Program Files/2k Game/Bioshock demo/Content/config.ini

[Console]

Console (XBox360, PS3) specific settings

StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit:

If this is a positive number, then instead of using the fixed per-level

limits, the StreamingDynamic resource will use as much memory as is

available as long as the total memory allocated by the game is less than
the specified number. In other words, StreamingDynamic will grow and
shrink to fit to the available memory instead of being locked to a fixed
budget StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit=500

Some people seem to think this is conclusive proof the game is heading to the PS3. I'm of the opinion its just some UE3 code in the engine meant for the consoles streaming abilities, and wasn't altered during development. Can anyone in the know confirm or deny?

(Not that I don't think its coming to the PS3, its just I don't think these are the droids they are looking for.)

edit: awww! Beaten whilst I was writing my post =P

Last edited by a moderator:
found this interesting thing...

http://www.psu.com/BioShock-for-the-PS3-Confirmed,-Yet-Again-News--a1012-p0.php

this doesn't set any legal relationship or anything sort of that the game will come to ps3.

regarding widescreen issue i played Gears which is in same situation with Bioshock, at both widescreen and 4:3. didn't notice any problems at all, not at all.

I checked most of the config, and this is only one entry jf playstation-related things.

And much more about XBox-related stuff.
Like:

[XenonLanguageMapping]
;; XBox360 file caching hints
[XenonFileCaching]
ProductBugSubmittedFromConsoleTool=Xbox 360

And many stuff like this:

[Bink]
IntroMoviePC="..\BinkMovies\2KG_logo_720P.bik"
; 0 buffer size means use default
IntroMovieBufferSizePC=0
IntroMovieXBox360="..\BinkMovies\2KG_logo_720P.bik"
; 5MB for now needs testing with final intro movie
IntroMovieBufferSizeXBox360=5242880

AttractMovieXBox360="..\BinkMovies\attractMovie.bik"

;; Use 20mb for attract movie; reduces DVD reads which allows more caching to the hard drive while
;; the attract movie plays
AttractMovieBufferSizeXBox360=20971520

BioshockLogoMoviePC="..\BinkMovies\BioshockLogo.bik"
BioshockLogoMovieXBox360="..\BinkMovies\BioshockLogo.bik"
; 1MB for now needs testing with final logo movie
BioshockLogoMovieBufferSizeXBox360=268608

Only PC and Xbox360 in this config.

Looking at this 'code' again, I've just realised that most of it isn't even code. Most of it seems to be intructions/hints to developers about what values to use when using dynamic streaming on the consoles (the consoles supported by UE3 to be PS3 and 360 of course)
;; Console (XBox360, PS3) specific settings

;; StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit:
;; If this is a positive number, then instead of using the fixed per-level
;; limits, the StreamingDynamic resource will use as much memory as is
;; available as long as the total memory allocated by the game is less than
;; the specified number. In other words, StreamingDynamic will grow and
;; shrink to fit to the available memory instead of being locked to a fixed
;; budget

That seems to be a reference point from UE3 there for the benefit of the developer, this is the real code;

StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit=500

Am I right on this :?:

That would be my take on it.

/aside
It's really an amusing how worked up people get about whether it will be ported or not. 2k games is an independent developer and they clearly have been paid for exclusivity at least for the time being, but once that time is up, if they feel the market is there for a port, they are going to do it, because it's just about money.

That would be my take on it.

/aside
It's really an amusing how worked up people get about whether it will be ported or not. 2k games is an independent developer and they clearly have been paid for exclusivity at least for the time being, but once that time is up, if they feel the market is there for a port, they are going to do it, because it's just about money.

Absolutely, ultimately the decision to port will be based on;

How well Bioshock does at retail
How well the PS3 fares this Christmas
What their agreement with MS over BioShock is (ie, timed)

At the moment 2kgames are being ambigous over the future of BioShock when it comes to other platforms. All they've stated is;
2kgames said:
BioShock is currently an exclusive for Xbox 360 as well as Windows XP and Vista based PC's.

Currently an exclusive...that doesn't imply it will stay that way.

/but, this is all going a bit off-topic, so that'll be it from me!

considering this is pretty much the official BioShock thread, i think it is on topic. thats the way things usually are around here, everything gets thrown into one thread, and i personally think thats a good idea as its less cluttered.

anyway, wasn't there going to be a PS3 version but MS paid for exclusivity? and isn't the UE3 engine not optimized for PS3 yet until Epic finishes UT3? hopefully a PS3 version will get announced soon and they'll begin development shortly. if all else fails, i'll just get it for PC or maybe ill eventually buy a 360 someday.

Looking at this 'code' again, I've just realised that most of it isn't even code. Most of it seems to be intructions/hints to developers about what values to use when using dynamic streaming on the consoles (the consoles supported by UE3 to be PS3 and 360 of course)

;; Console (XBox360, PS3) specific settings

;; StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit:
;; If this is a positive number, then instead of using the fixed per-level
;; limits, the StreamingDynamic resource will use as much memory as is
;; available as long as the total memory allocated by the game is less than
;; the specified number. In other words, StreamingDynamic will grow and
;; shrink to fit to the available memory instead of being locked to a fixed
;; budget

That seems to be a reference point from UE3 there for the benefit of the developer, this is the real code;

StreamingDynamicFloatingLimit=500

You are right, the other is just a reminder/description that is commented out (engine wont read it since it is pointless). :)

Strictly from an objective point of view, MS should lock up full exclusivity on Bioshock. IMO, it is one of the best of this gen and will likely end up a top10 title of this gen.

For ps3 only gamers, it would suck, but at the same time, these are the types of games that get people to purchase a console (aka system seller) that they would otherwise not get. Even if they don't purchase now at the current price.

If the opposite were true and the title released on ps3 1st, I'd say the same thing.

True system sellers are few and far between and when one shows up, the smart thing to do is to lock it up. In fact, the smart thing to do IMO would be to buy exclusivity from the entire studio. I don't know what their budget was for Bioshock, but these guys have proven to me they are in elite company.

Strictly from an objective point of view, MS should lock up full exclusivity on Bioshock. IMO, it is one of the best of this gen and will likely end up a top10 title of this gen.

For ps3 only gamers, it would suck, but at the same time, these are the types of games that get people to purchase a console (aka system seller) that they would otherwise not get. Even if they don't purchase now at the current price.

If the opposite were true and the title released on ps3 1st, I'd say the same thing.

True system sellers are few and far between and when one shows up, the smart thing to do is to lock it up. In fact, the smart thing to do IMO would be to buy exclusivity from the entire studio. I don't know what their budget was for Bioshock, but these guys have proven to me they are in elite company.

They are bundling Bioshock in Europe with Elites

it was definitely announced as an exclusive (PC/360) but depending on the deal, things could change I suppose.

Is it really an exclusive if it's on the PC AND the 360? I don't really count anything that's on both formats as being exclusive to either.

Besides IMO the PS3 doesn't really need another interative shooter, KZ2, Haze, and Ucharted all seem to have covered the bases there.

Yeah, but this shooter is creepy as well.
I think this shooter is just very different from the ones you described, it seems to have a survival horror and RPG element to it.

I loved the demo and can't wait till my preorder arrives.

I thought at one time Irrational had mentioned the PS3 version coming later (hinted at here in this rundown, I don't have the time to dig it up myself), only for the exclusive to be announced shortly thereafter. Anyhow, imo I think it is a forgone conclusion* that Bioshock will indeed land on the PS3. All the talk of currently exclusive as well as landminds like the following from Ken Levine are no denial denials.

"If I talk about anything outside of the Xbox 360 version, my corporate overlords will spank me. We love the 360, we love working on it and we’re not talking about any other versions right now."

* Unless of course MS procures a Bioshock 2 exclusive which entails absolute Bioshock exclusve and/or it is decided that the PS3 install base isn't significant enough to warrant the effort of porting and focus should be on developing Bioshock 2. 2K / Take-Two are strapped for cash, so they will do whatever is fiscally in their best interest.

Bioshock is clearly the front runner for a slew of GotY honors, so 1M+ sales on the PS3 is not out of the quesiton.

I thought at one time Irrational had mentioned the PS3 version coming later (hinted at here in this rundown, I don't have the time to dig it up myself), only for the exclusive to be announced shortly thereafter. Anyhow, imo I think it is a forgone conclusion* that Bioshock will indeed land on the PS3. All the talk of currently exclusive as well as landminds like the following from Ken Levine are no denial denials.

* Unless of course MS procures a Bioshock 2 exclusive which entails absolute Bioshock exclusve and/or it is decided that the PS3 install base isn't significant enough to warrant the effort of porting and focus should be on developing Bioshock 2. 2K / Take-Two are strapped for cash, so they will do whatever is fiscally in their best interest.

Bioshock is clearly the front runner for a slew of GotY honors, so 1M+ sales on the PS3 is not out of the quesiton.

Holy crap! you're alive! wb.

new GamePro article.
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=130348
An inside source tells us that the critically acclaimed BioShock for Xbox 360 and PC is, in fact, on its way to PS3 after all.

When asked if BioShock would be coming to PS3, our contact informed us that we'd be wrong to think the game wouldn't be released on Sony's console at a later date.

UPDATE: We can't name the source, but this individual is in a position to know. Still, the information can't be confirmed until 2K Games makes an official statement, and should still be treated with a grain of salt.

This new statement validates news from Tuesday, where eagle-eyed BioShock demo owners discovered a snippet of code listing both Xbox 360 and PS3 as consoles under a file setting.

It should be noted that BioShock uses the Unreal graphics engine, which supports select Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 games.

2K Games was not immediately available for comment.

from what I know, there are some rules for those "xbox exclusive" stickers.

their use is prohibited on marketing publications unless it is a six month exclusive,
and for the sticker to be on the actual game disk it must be more than that.

I agree that if I was microsoft I'd definitely want to get bioshock and its sequels "exclusive for ever" :LOL: for my platforms,
but as a gamer I prefer that everybody gets to play this.

The PS3 related stuff in .ini's don't really tell anything, it's quite a standard in UE-titles, many UE2-based titles for example included XBox-related stuff in the .ini even though they weren't, and weren't even planned to be, released on XBox

Back