Bimmer borked again.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My wife came back 30 minutes after leaving for work, apparently just as she tried to get on the expressway the engine warning light came on and the car refused to go over 40 miles an hour making horrible noises. :???:

She limped it back home and took her vert to work, and told me to go ahead and fix my car.

Wtf? :oops:

This is when I wished I'd been able to order that diagnostic cable I wanted to order so badly last year... :rolleyes:

Just got done looking at her and she's definitely borked up good. I'm positive she's not firing on all cylinders, rough as hell. :(

I'm limping her in to the dealers on Monday, they think she's got a "misfired cylinder".

I WISH I HAD GOTTEN THE CABLE! MY WIFE WOULDN'T LET ME "WASTE" THE MONEY! :???:

BTW - I have an E46 M54, 2001 325xi. :)

I'm limping her in to the dealers on Monday, they think she's got a "misfired cylinder".
I remember thinking that might be a problem in an E46 that I almost bought instead of the one I got. Fortunately, the BMW dealership didn't even certify it for sale after inspection, so I didn't get stuck with a lemon. There was another third party inspection coming anyway, so I would have been okay.

I WISH I HAD GOTTEN THE CABLE! MY WIFE WOULDN'T LET ME "WASTE" THE MONEY! :???:
*WHIPPED* :p Seriously? You need permission to buy a $20 diagnostic tool?

Well, if you didn't see the check engine light on before the problem, I don't think it would have made a difference.

BTW - I have an E46 M54, 2001 325xi. :)
Yup, I remember. You had the nerve to say my pretty 330 coupe was the same as your car :p

Hope you don't have to scrap the car. There's a solid chance that the repair will cost more than its value.

Oil level is fine. Took it in this morning, haven't heard anything since. I'd be more concerned if my dealer wasn't great with loaner cars, I like checking out the different ones. This time got a 2011 328i w/Xdrive coupe, first time with a 2-door. :)

Just got the call, 2 cylinders ain't firing. Both have bad coils and "plug sockets" which need to be replaced, and I need new spark plugs. Total cost should be around $690.

Wtf is a "plug socket"? :???:

Just got the call, 2 cylinders ain't firing. Both have bad coils and "plug sockets" which need to be replaced, and I need new spark plugs. Total cost should be around $690.

Wtf is a "plug socket"? :???:

The part the coils plug into for the spark plugs?

The part the coils plug into for the spark plugs?

WTF?

Coil -> wire -> spark plug

I haven't worked as a mechanic for over 25 years, but a "plug socket" was always a frickin' socket to fit the plug so you could screw it into the head. As in socket for a socket wrench.

Also, you really have one coil per plug? Damn. Thought most were still 1 for 2.

I'm pretty glad that new BMW's are usually ugly nowadays, so I don't have the dilemma of "I'd like to drive that nice car but don't know if I can live with the reliability" anymore :)

Back