Who selleth most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you're overstating things. ;)

Halo (XB): 6.4m
Halo 2 (XB): 8.2m

Super Smash Bros (N64): 5.55m
Super Smash Bros Melee (GC): 6.58m

I would call those a LONG shot in terms of sales. Also, hasn't the new Super Smash Bros been moved to 2008 for the every place but Japan? In that case, certainly not going to lead for the year.

Skyring,

You also have to realize that game sales will be tempered by consoles sold. And right now, the Wii has a ~1m lead on the 360, depending on which #s you trust. By the time SSBB (December) and Halo 3 (November?) launch, that'll probably be ~2m lead.

SSBB is a "ginormous" franchise for Nintendo. It was the best-selling game on GC by a good margin last gen. ;)

So, what are the rules here? A single title or just a single title on a single platform? Worldwide?

Does Wii Play count, or is it a game bundled with a peripheral? It'll probably do ~6 million this year.

You also have to realize that game sales will be tempered by consoles sold. [...] SSBB is a "ginormous" franchise for Nintendo. It was the best-selling game on GC by a good margin last gen.
Yeah, but we're only talking 4 weeks of sales here this year in NA, and possibly a couple of weeks in Japan. It'll sell loads, no doubt, but most of these will leave store shelves next year... ;)

So, what are the rules here? A single title or just a single title on a single platform? Worldwide?
see the other poll,
ideally it was WW but due to noone being able to get concrete numbers out of europe etc.
its limited to NA + japan

wii play/sports arent allowed, comeon whats wii sports at now 10million? :)

Skyring,

You also have to realize that game sales will be tempered by consoles sold. And right now, the Wii has a ~1m lead on the 360, depending on which #s you trust. By the time SSBB (December) and Halo 3 (November?) launch, that'll probably be ~2m lead.

SSBB is a "ginormous" franchise for Nintendo. It was the best-selling game on GC by a good margin last gen. ;)

Natoma, Halo 3 comes out this month.

Not to mention with the launch of Halo 3 I think we'll see a fairly decent spike in Xbox 360 sales. This is THE game for the Xbox 360 up to this point, and really could be the deciding factor for the console. It's that important.

i think all the other games (except Madden) come out too late to even have a chance. i thought the only game that had a chance at beating Halo was GTA4, but we all know what happened there. i think there should have been more games added to the poll though, like Assassins Creed and even CoD4.

Nobody think Assassin Creed (if as good as it looks) could perhaps beat both UT3 and Uncharted with proper marketting?
I also think that CoD4 could also beat UT3, what do you think?

Both are highly anticipated multiplatform games.

Wow, I know B3D is in Europe and all, but Madden does sell like 6M copies a year. And it is released on the PS2, Xbox, GCN, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, and DS. Madden sold $100M worth of software in one week last year.

Fast forward to this year. Madden, in August alone, sold nearly 2M units on the 360, PS2, and PS3 alone (360 897K, PS2 644K, PS3 336K). In 2006, the PS2 saw a 180% increase in post August calendar year sales for Madden, and the 360 saw 90%.

This being one of the better Madden releases, the strong marketing push, and the increase in next gen consoles I don't see why Madden wouldn't approach, or exceed, the 5M mark in CY sales.

At over 2M combines sales -- already! -- Madden will have very likely already surpassed the sales for UT3, Uncharted, and Mass Effect in total 2007 sales. Don't freak! I am not saying Madden is better or that those games won't be amazing. 2M is a big number in a couple months.

It will be close between Halo 3 and Madden 2008. Halo 2 had amazing first day sales, huge pre-sales, and broke 5M in 2004. So I could be wrong, but with the 360 install base being smaller than the Xbox1 at the time, and the cost of a 360 is a hurdle for adoption. But if I had to bet, I would say Halo 3 bests 5M in 2007.

Nobody think Assassin Creed (if as good as it looks) could perhaps beat both UT3 and Uncharted with proper marketting?
I also think that CoD4 could also beat UT3, what do you think?

Both are highly anticipated multiplatform games.

I am with you liolio. Am I the only one who remembers the IGN article on CoD4 and AC filling the GTA IV delay void? These are both highly anticipated titles. I, too, am puzzled by some of the selections. Multi-platform games have a big advantage at times (but not always).

Take Call of Duty 4. CoD2 was the BEST selling Xbox 360 game in 2005 with over 1M 2005 sales and eventually broke 2M copies on the 360. It also did well on the PC. CoD4 is on the 360, PC, and PS3. The game is getting a lot of positive press, a lot of positive user feedback from the beta, and just happens to be one of the best looking games on the 360 or PS3.

No slight to Epic, but how won't it beat UT3 sales? UT3 is on the PC and PS3--no 2007 360 release. Unreal Tournament only sold 1M copies on the PC according to Wiki (how many in its first CY I don't know). Even with strong PS3 sales I don't see how the PC/PS3 versions of UT3 will be able to overcome not only outdue those of CoD4, but also compensate for the lack of a 360 release.

AC is an unknown. It has a TON of potential. But the versions we have seen (and the ones my friend has played) are buggy. It has had a lot of positive press and looks very good, and is a PS3/360 title, so I don't think we should ignore it.

I expect CoD4 to best UT3, Haze, BiA3, Quake Wars, and HL2 Orange Box sales.

And what about Assassin creed?
Ubisoft prove to be able to put out real good game lately, and Assassin Creed is the games they've spent most time on.

I tend to think that Assassin Creed will be in good place in the GOTY award (if anything comes together nicely obviously).
Story line seems great, freedom seems impressive, animation is more than OK (last demo whitch show the climbing and wandering on the roof really turn me on), scale of the game seems impressive.
Assassin Creed doesn't seem to have the hype it deserves. (I wonder if they would not better have gone the exclusive way with Sony or MS and profit from the marketting push of one of these actors).

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few games that don't really belong on the list. Mass Effect, Uncharted, and maybe even UT3. Instead CoD4, Orange Box, and a PC expansion (if you count those) to the most popular game in the world do (WoW's expansion sold 3.1 million copies in the first month, it was just released on the 6th in China, that's another million easy probably). Assassins Creed could probably be more worthy than Uncharted or Mass Effect IMO.

I'll rephrase my guess: Halo 3 will sale the most still, but Madden in total sales will be close. All other games will probably trail by at least a million units (maybe more) except for potentially the WoW expansion if you want to count it (though it realistically is more game than most "full" games).

Natoma, Halo 3 comes out this month.

Well that changes things. hehe.

Not to mention with the launch of Halo 3 I think we'll see a fairly decent spike in Xbox 360 sales. This is THE game for the Xbox 360 up to this point, and really could be the deciding factor for the console. It's that important.

Yea, I don't think Halo 3 is going to cause much of a change there. The 360 is still way too expensive.

Yea, I don't think Halo 3 is going to cause much of a change there. The 360 is still way too expensive.

I have a few friends who have pre-ordered a copy of halo and a 360 to go with it. I'd be surprised if MS doesn't move 400k systems for September, I expect it will be closer to 450.

The 360 is still way too expensive.

Something we agree on. Shocked you didn't know when Halo 3 came out (explains why you think the entire platform has shooters!) but you are forgiven by obtaining Ninny stock before the Wii release. Crazy smart move. If you cannot afford a 360, who can :LOL:

Something we agree on. Shocked you didn't know when Halo 3 came out (explains why you think the entire platform has shooters!) but you are forgiven by obtaining Ninny stock before the Wii release. Crazy smart move. If you cannot afford a 360, who can :LOL:

Oh, I can afford it. The money isn't a problem.

I just don't think consoles are worth what Sony and MS are charging. ;)

Sub $300 or nothing as far as I'm concerned.

well the years up + the biggest seller was none of the above :)
funnily noone picked it

guitar hero 3

this year?
super smash, GTA4, wii-fit, something else?

Back