Bigfoot Gaming Network Accelerator card

Fodder

Stealth Nerd
Veteran
After winning numerous awards, including the 2005 Fortune Small Business Startup Competition and the prestigious 2005 Moot Corp. competition at the University of Texas, Bigfoot Networks, Inc. has achieved its biggest milestone yet: $4 Million in Series A financing from Venio Capital Partners. Bigfoot Networks is an innovative start-up company with roots from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin. The company was formed by a team of Executive MBA students to improve the performance of online video games.

The company will bring to market the world's first Gaming Network Accelerator card, which will allow online gamers to play their favorite games with less lag. Lag is the number one problem in online video games today, and Bigfoot Networks is the only company in the world whose sole mission is to fight lag.

"Bigfoot Networks products will infuse online gaming with blazing speed, making them a ton more fun," says Harlan Beverly, inventor, co-Founder, and CEO of the company. "We are to online games what 3D video cards are to graphics: essential. Eventually, we plan to completely eliminate the dreaded lag monster."
http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/030806_bigfootfunding.x

I'm constantly surprised by the gullibility of venture capitalists. Anyone remember the raging success that was PowerPlay? :LOL:

is that a TCP off-loading card? if so, that would be very useless, shouldn't do anything for latency; latency is mostly about your DSL or cable line, and not using AOL.

Hey, they already received $4 Million, now they only need to filter that money thro their accounts and get a lawyer.

I don't see the point considering how much the Pentium 4 has already made the internet faster.

:D

Wasnt there a third-party developed software package back in the original Quake days that dynamically compressed your multiplayer network packets? You put a software network client on all the machines and the hosting server, and it would compress the packets (specific to your game) so they took up less bandwidth. With the lower bandwidth needs, you also had less total lag because you needed to wait only for one or two packets versus four or five.

Not sure if this is even still relevant anymore, just curious...

Albuquerque said:
Wasnt there a third-party developed software package back in the original Quake days that dynamically compressed your multiplayer network packets? You put a software network client on all the machines and the hosting server, and it would compress the packets (specific to your game) so they took up less bandwidth. With the lower bandwidth needs, you also had less total lag because you needed to wait only for one or two packets versus four or five.

Not sure if this is even still relevant anymore, just curious...

I think I vaugely remember this...Are you refering to QuakeWorld? But you also have to remember that the original Quake netcode didn't do any prediction at all. All modern games already have prediction built into them to help cover latency.

Ahh, good old Quake. I first started playing that online keyboard only, then moved to a space orb. Nothing like the rocket launcher from the original quake.

Back