BGS season 3

Geeforcer

Harmlessly Evil
Veteran
So far, so great - I love that show. I do hope they get off New Caprica ASAP though - I miss the space dogfights.

I thought last weeks was the first of a two parter, or else the whole season so far has been a 4-parter and we're just getting to the fourth episode.

BTW- BGS? I thought it was BSG.... ;)

Absolutely on another level. Astonishing. SF for grown up grownups (if you know what I mean!) It pulls in so many references from 1940's Europe to modern day Iraq and throws in some sort pr0n for good measure :)

And House SE03E01 was fun (and I watch that with the wife!)

Tonight's BSG Episode 4 was amazing... As always, some parts were so brilliant and what you wanted to happen, while others made you want to yell and scream at the characters.

Damn it, it isn't out on a torrent yet. Mebbe I'll finally give in and just go watch it in the living room. (I still haven't, although I've recorded every episode so far)

***POTENTIAL SPOILERS**********

I love how even in "victory", the show is bitter sweet. It is usually so dark, even a few rays of light seem like water in a desert, and then, the sadness sets in.

I really fear for Mr Gaeta.

And how powerful was Tigh's line: "....Not everyone."

I felt a certain sadness seeing the *mumble* gone from the series, but the show is BSG not BSG&P. Remember Lorne Greene's voiceover "fleeing cylon tyranny, the **** ********** leads a ragtag fleet..."

Adama seemed at peace with himself when it was clear that the Galactica was going to be destroyed. I suspect he knew that it was a suicide mission and at best, he hoped the buy time for the civilians to escape and jump out, sacrificing himself to save the rest of humanity, but probably didn't think the chances of the Galactica escaping as well were all that high. In the previous week, he pretty much acknowledged the mission was one-way.

This show has more heart than pretty much every SF show every made (yes, even favorites like Firefly, B5, et al), because the characters are strongly drawn and strongly acted. I'll confess, I didn't like Lee Adama when the miniseries started, I though he was too vanilla, too forgetable, too much of a boyscout character. (StarBuck seemed a caricature/cliche in those days too), but now, one or two spoken sentences between Apollo and Admr Adama has my heart sinking. And Gaius Baltar, man, from an effeminate gay sideshow character in Bridget Jones diary to this deeply tragic character?

I loved B5, and it did have it's moments, like the tragedy of G'Kar and Londo, both acted very well over the five year story arc. But not all B5's characters were as strongly drawn and acted. Garibaldi was the Colonel Tigh of B5, but he's just not on the same level. Ivanova was well, bleh. Most of BSG's characters by comparison are richly drawn and tragic.

StarBuck I think will no longer be the cocky young spirit she once was. Seems she got too used to the idea of being a mommy. And ole Tigh is likely to be psychologically fucked up for good now, being tortured for months, losing his eye (like G'Kar), finding out his wife is a traitor and even had an affair with Cylons, then killing her. Looks like next week, he's going to mete out vigilante justice to any and all collaborators, and Mr Gaeta seems first on the list.

Poopie on the destroying of the *murfle*.

It shouldn't have been, given its moderness, imho. It was just to get it out of the story.

I was about to ask when the cultural back-water which is the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Associated Hangers On will be treated to rendition of the televisual extravaganza that is BSG:3. Having enjoyed BSG:2 I was quite looking forward to it.

Then I found this:

UK fans were disappointed to learn that Sky One will not be screening season three until early 2007; it had been previously reported that the show would return at around the same time as the U.S. screenings.
This is what happens when you allow Austramericans to run your TV channels. I guess I could always look around for an illegal pirate copy off the Internet. Hello major TV outlet execs who want to squash online piracy ... can you join the dots there? I guess not. You're too busy focusing on giving the customers whay they want. Or something.

Anyway it looks from this thread that next years series of BSG is going to be a cracker.

I was about to ask when the cultural back-water which is the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Associated Hangers On will be treated to rendition of the televisual extravaganza that is BSG:3. Having enjoyed BSG:2 I was quite looking forward to it.

Then I found this:

This is what happens when you allow Austramericans to run your TV channels. I guess I could always look around for an illegal pirate copy off the Internet. Hello major TV outlet execs who want to squash online piracy ... can you join the dots there? I guess not. You're too busy focusing on giving the customers whay they want. Or something.

Anyway it looks from this thread that next years series of BSG is going to be a cracker.

It's because of the massive break the US put in the middle of their seasons. In the UK we like to show a series without many (if any) breaks in the weekly transmission. We'll usually show all 20 odd episodes in 20 weeks. In the US they will show 10 episodes, break for three months (or longer) and then show the next 10 episodes. That means the UK will have to start showing the beginning later in order to smoothly run through the whole season.

It's because of the massive break the US put in the middle of their seasons. In the UK we like to show a series without many (if any) breaks in the weekly transmission. We'll usually show all 20 odd episodes in 20 weeks. In the US they will show 10 episodes, break for three months (or longer) and then show the next 10 episodes. That means the UK will have to start showing the beginning later in order to smoothly run through the whole season.

Yes. That's how some of us are able to view nearly the entire series before the second part even begins to air in the US. The UK has a better approach to show broadcast management.

Back