Best water rendering effects *spawn

Comparisons and trolling aside, that just makes me want to go to Thailand or something. So beautiful. Oh wait, I am going to Thailand! :runaway:

Comparisons and trolling aside, that just makes me want to go to Thailand or something. So beautiful. Oh wait, I am going to Thailand! :runaway:
Personaly, if I were going to Thailand, ps4 or video games in general would be the least of my worries.

EDIT: I mean this as a joke, as Thailand is a beautiful place and it make you not want to stay inside.

I have taken a screenshot in GTA V, 1080p, PC

For me it looks similar to Clukus' Uncharted 4 image.
GTAV_1080p by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

According to the statistic.I died the first time in GTA V by drowning. :( After a playtime of more than 14 days.
Why can't the character hold his breath more than 20 seconds?! ^^
Have you seen how healthy the characters are? Especially trevor.

Now I'm curious with their shallow seashore

In real life it can looks nice.

bunaken%20-%20manado2.jpg

The biggest difference between the two is that Uncharted 4 has a gradient between points where the light is passing through the water and points that is reflected back into the water, you can see how the visible area slowly fades as less light is passing through and more light is reflected back here:
1cbkd5.png

GTA V on the other hand seems to have a binary on/off switch for when the water should start reflecting more towards the water area
grandtheftautov04.30.k2jqc.jpg

Not trying to downplay anything here, GTA V is doing something in an open world game that other graphically impressive linear single player games don't even try to do (Crysis 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Ratchet & Clank) and that is impressive, especially given its last gen roots. But it's not as good as Uncharted 4, both in terms of artistic style (although that is subjective) but also how refraction works in real-life (less light passing exiting the surface depending on the viewpoint and angle, not binary) which is objective. Not to take away anything from GTA V, which is a technical masterpiece, even though I haven't played much of the game, I can acknowledge that fact.

Edit: rephrasing

Last edited:
I still remember how this water looked impressive when I played N64 in 1997 :)
youtu.be/zkdz6Ew2R0s?t=253

Also, tech demo of HL2 water in 2003 looked really amazing
youtu.be/4ddJ1OKV63Q?t=138

Few more modern examples:

Watch Dogs
14442379785_a6391557cb_o.jpg

10329710_1438422986409259_3244949081723515218_o.jpg

GTAV
DG25QbR.jpg

Kinect Sport Rivals
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1525/15257558/2433609-7160296343-25326.gif

Ryse [cutscene]
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/311/a/4/ryse_2_by_raziel1992-d6tcuje.gif

best one for the end :D
http://25.media.tumblr.com/c31ca13b964be66d04b0d6bcab2f887f/tumblr_mr4fhtOTFp1r8tgs3o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Say what you want but GTAV is still the one that looks more like reality. I don't care if it's technically less 'impressive' but that just looks much, much more real than every other game I've played.

Long stretch of gameplay showcasing how the water looks and behaves

I skimmed through, looks incredible. Gameplay starts at 1:35 if you want to skip the cutscene.

The biggest difference between the two is that Uncharted 4 has a gradient between points where the light is passing through the water and points that is reflected back into the water, you can see how the visible area slowly fades as less light is passing through and more light is reflected back here:

GTA V on the other hand seems to have a binary on/off switch for when the water should start reflecting more towards the water area

Not trying to downplay anything here, GTA V is doing something in an open world game that other graphically impressive linear single player games don't even try to do (Crysis 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Ratchet & Clank) and that is impressive, especially given its last gen roots. But it's not as good as Uncharted 4, both in terms of artistic style (although that is subjective) but also how refraction works in real-life (less light passing exiting the surface depending on the viewpoint and angle, not binary) which is objective. Not to take away anything from GTA V, which is a technical masterpiece, even though I haven't played much of the game, I can acknowledge that fact.

Edit: rephrasing

This with binary on/off switch is indeed correct.

Why should all games try it? I ain't played Tomb Raider but Crysis 3 has no underwater level. Diving is not important here. They had other priorities like the water caustics for example. .

Because Crysis 1 had proper refraction underwater. As for Tomb Raider it has quite a few sequences that are taking place underwater as well.

Light story spoilers (opening)

@2:06

Dynamic subsurface scattering inside the water affected by dynamic light sources. Any game doing this? I know Crysis doesn't (i threw that red torch in the beach into the water every time :D).

Yep I've read your piece on Halo 3, really good stuff! And that looks really great considering the hardware :)

Edit: Uploaded a gif from the U4 footage since they nuked the video: https://gfycat.com/BlankOrnateFlyingfox

Properly lit smoke too, looks lovely :yes:

Last edited:
Back