Best looking games of 2015 *spawn

What game had the best graphics in 2015?

• Total voters
Because this is the console zone?
Sure, but there's no overall gaming sub-forum. Makes sense to use this one for everything :p

Also, why no Wii U love :(

Oh come on, this is a really childish response! I did not shoot you at all :)
So the translation of your response is: "no, I have never ever played the games and versions I am constantly commenting and comparing on" ;-)

Two further comments:

1.) there is a reason amazon introduced the "amazon certified reviews"...not because they want to shoot the messenger?!?

2.) It may come as a surprise to you, but I am one of the B3Der that actually values your opinions and discussion. And often I do agree with you. But since day 1, I completely disagree with nearly everything you say about The Order. That is why I was just curious, no shooting required (probably shooting belongs to the weapon and shooting in US of A thread??)...ha ha ha, always so defensive Mr Scofield!
You're just looking for ways to invalidate my opinions. You'll have to do better than this since I have in fact play both of those games on PS4 ;)

Because it is super difficult to compare what we are really talking about imo! Which version? The "low" setting version...because this is the version everyone has access to? Or the super duper "very high" version with 4K res, which basically no one has access to? Or what about this specific mod, where only one guy has the source code and is using a rendering farm to generate 24 fps...and it is the best thing in the world?!?

On console you can easily compare: games on PS4 and X1 (they are close enough in specs imo).
So, because PC would win.

Also, why no Wii U love :(

I got my kids Mario Maker for Xmas and it's AMAZING. It just won't win any awards for its graphics.

The Order is a beautiful game (I voted for it), but it's not really much of a game. I could only bear the first few levels. It's a real chore to get through.

LOL. I guess I am.

Maybe we should create an algorithm.
That's been suggested, and uoltimately misses the point. You can't scientifically quantifiy subjective opinion, and there's no merit in trying. The purpose of this discussion and similar is to sample the range of opinions that people have to offer, to learn what they value and why, without judging or correcting or trying to be 'right'. It's a completely different type of discussion to an engineering analysis that doesn't require an engineering solution. ;)

Except "nicest to look at" is completely subjective.
Yes. Yes it is.

However, that wasn't my point. A tiny sample of a huge painting generally isn't as appealing as a full painting. Few people will rate a rectangle of red paint (a letter-sized sample of a building-sized mural ) as nicer to look at than a complete Rembrandt (letter size print) because there's just less in it. In games that do more, there's less room for graphics. But of course the subjective opinion may see some prefer the smaller view of a broader landscape, especially if they're into post-modern impressionism.

For the average graphics whore though, where 'pretty' is generally defined by lighting and pixel shaders and PBR, you get more lighting and pixel shaders and PBR by rendering a less complex game, so it's no wonder they prefer the pretties of the 30 fps corridor shooter over the simpler open world graphics of the (far more entertaining to play?) 60 fps open world game.

Yes. Yes it is.

However, that wasn't my point. A tiny sample of a huge painting generally isn't as appealing as a full painting. Few people will rate a rectangle of red paint (a letter-sized sample of a building-sized mural ) as nicer to look at than a complete Rembrandt (letter size print) because there's just less in it. In games that do more, there's less room for graphics. But of course the subjective opinion may see some prefer the smaller view of a broader landscape, especially if they're into post-modern impressionism.
Yes, people usually compare tiny samples of huge paintings against entire paintings. Great example there lol.

For the average graphics whore though, where 'pretty' is generally defined by lighting and pixel shaders and PBR, you get more lighting and pixel shaders and PBR by rendering a less complex game, so it's no wonder they prefer the pretties of the 30 fps corridor shooter over the simpler open world graphics of the (far more entertaining to play?) 60 fps open world game.

"Average graphics whore" means nothing. Just like some people might prefer more detail in their surfaces other prefer smooth 60fps over 30. Or 4k over 2k.

That's been suggested, and uoltimately misses the point. You can't scientifically quantifiy subjective opinion, and there's no merit in trying. The purpose of this discussion and similar is to sample the range of opinions that people have to offer, to learn what they value and why, without judging or correcting or trying to be 'right'. It's a completely different type of discussion to an engineering analysis that doesn't require an engineering solution. ;)
If you manage to come up with a rubric that can be evaluated in a precise manner with purely objective measures, people will just argue over the merits of the rubric.

Although I'm a PC gamer at heart and eye-candy whore when it comes IQ settings... IMHO, The Order 1886 has the best CGI'ish presentation and PBR assets that I have ever seen across any platform.

Yeah, Actually since it's so damn good, I don't expect any game to surpass it in this console generation (or PC within those years). Not because all these talented developers couldn't do it but based on sales it's just not worth the compromises in level design, linearity, game mechanics or interaction. I'm amazed how consistent the visual presentantion is - nearly everywhere you look, you see high quality models, lighting and textures. Developers went extra mile to see what looks good, rather then "waste" resources just to put some state of the art graphical gimmick in the game.

I made that statement with tongue in cheek.

I think that just highlights the issue of the separation between the console and PC zones. The thread is a discussion of the NX gamer video which was indeed a review of all platforms, not just console. So I think this thread should include the same. But the problem then is, do we have two threads about exactly the same topic split across both forums? That sounds kinda dippy to me.

As Billy Idol points out, consoles have fixed hardware and even then it's proven difficult for people to agree on 'best graphics' so I don't think introducing a third platform with tens of thousands of different combinations if specification would help.

This type of discussion is very much one that would benefit from platform separation because I suspect that PC gamers will be further split by people disagreeing about acceptable frame rates and resolutions which will of course impact the ultimate quality of the graphics they are able to experience on their particular combination of PC hardware. Bringing that debate here here won't help focus this discussion.

Why not just create a 'best graphics' thread in PC Gaming and see where it goes?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do you guys think will win 2016!? We have a few potential early contenders;

Uncharted 4
Horizon
Tomorrow Children
No Mans Sky
Gears 4
Quantum Break
Crackdown

Any others? I believe Dreams is Beta only so not included.

I'd put Mass Effect: Adromeda on that list. And that Star Wars game Visceral is working on with Amy Hennig (if it comes out in 2016). Squadron 42 is also definitely going to look great as well (if they hit 2016).

Back